Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hesitation

Is it a good idea to do sports while fasting?

I decided to fast for three days. I'll only drink water. I've done it before, I like the clean and light feeling I get from it. It also makes me appreciate food more.

However, I used to work out very often, almost everyday. Should I keep it up while fasting? I have very little to none body fat already... I don't really care about the muscles. How much could I lose in three days, eh?

So my usual daily working out regimen would be the following:

jog 3-5 miles (whatever I can in 25 minutes).

do abs for 45 minutes

train a special muscle group for 1-2 hours

swim for 30 minutes

sauna for 20 minutes

then I would get back home at around 11 pm starving and eats tons of food. I like to work out at evenings so I don't have to wash my face more than twice a day.

I wouldn't. The only thing i'd consider is jogging.

You're right though it wouldn't cause TOO much damage, but try and remember what your energy levels were last time you fasted. If you feel like it while you're fasting, then go for it. What you don't wanna do is force it because that's when you can do damage. It can defeat the purpose of the fast if your body is busy repairing itself from the exercise you just did rather than sorting itself out with other stuff. The first day or 2 when I have fasted I would not even consider exercise, and i'm an active person. Day 3 i'd have more energy and really enjoy the "lightness" feeling but still would keep any exercise light.

Edited by uncle buck

I'm already on a candida diet (no carbs) and used to the no energy thing. But yeah... I don't want to interrupt the process of my body repairing itself. I will just try to somehow get sweaty.

No, it's not a good idea. Wait until your fast is ended and you're in a good nutritional state. You could get injured.

The sauna wouldn't hurt I believe.

You shouldn't really be doing exercise, but you shouldn't really be inactive either. Just normal walking should do or light aerobics. Just until you're fatigued. Watch your heart, if you get palpitations I suggest you quit or take a breather.

Edit: The reason for activity is because fasting slows down your metabolism and the only way to bring it up without food is to be active or exercise. In theory it SHOULD make fasting more effective.

Edited by nowash

Your exercise routine is kind of like mine. I've fasted countless times before, the longest being 10 days. Exercising during your fast is a BAD idea as it can undermine the benefits of fasting. I usually stop exercising the day before a fast, and then resume 3-5 days afterward, depending on the length of the fast. :dance:

Typically when I try fasting, it's always day 3 when I'm completely weak and unable to do anything. So if you're not this way and still functional, props to you!

Typically when I try fasting, it's always day 3 when I'm completely weak and unable to do anything. So if you're not this way and still functional, props to you!

fasting this long can hurt your metabolism from personal experience. only in cases of disease or parasitic infection would it be worth it. your body thinks it's starving and lowers your metabolism. juicing would be better. at least juice lemons. they are cleansing and provide calories. cardio exercise is not good while fasting.

fasting this long can hurt your metabolism from personal experience. only in cases of disease or parasitic infection would it be worth it. your body thinks it's starving and lowers your metabolism. juicing would be better. at least juice lemons. they are cleansing and provide calories. cardio exercise is not good while fasting.

The human body doesn't go into starvation mode that quickly, trust me (or google the info). 3 days of fasting isn't considered a long fast by any stretch, it's actually the typical number of days people try to accomplish. I've done numerous 10 day fasts and every single time I finish one, I feel so much better and my skin is definitely clearer (gets better every fast). Anyway, to reiterate my original post's point, exercising during a fast is an improbable feat...you can try it but I doubt you'd actually be able to. Regardless, it's not good for you. :)

For anyone serious about looking into fasting and how it can affect your skin, I would definitely google more info and I bet most of you would be willing to give it a try. ;)

I think people need to do alot of research on fasting before judging it so harshly. When I tried fasting all my family members frowned upon it because they do not understand. 3 days is typically the minimal about of time for a fast because it takes around that long to completely disgest all food in your body. I was aiming for a week actually, just didn't make it unfortunately. I've heard stories of people fasting for over a week (like above) and even more than 10 days and get many benefits from it.

A three day food fast shouldn't hurt anyone who is in good health. Just maintain water intake. I have a friend that fasts at each change of season. Three days of no food, then just juices for 4 days. Water daily.

I'm done with fasting for now. What I noticed is that the red marks etc seem to heal/fade a lot faster while fasting. I also noticed that I needed like 70% of the sleep I used to. Pretty cool.