Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Insulin Index

I was aware of it. The thing is, now that I actually look at it, it's kind of skewed and it kind of serves no purpose to normal eaters. It does kind of kill any food combining theory, though. I'll explain.

First point, why it's skewed, the use of white bread as the standard. Wheat germ agglutinin (WGA, a lectin present in wheat germ and in the gliadin portion of gluten) has been shown to enter the bloodstream from the gut (due to it's zonulin upregulating abilities? Idk.) and bind directly to the pancreas, stimulating insulin release. I doubt they knew this back then though. If they wanted to use bread as a standard they should have used traditional sourdough, which has been shown to have a lower GI and lower insulin response (which is weird now that I think about that, too*).

Secondly, why it serves no purpose to normal eaters (well it does, but not in the way we think). This is a test after a 12 hour fasting period. The testees have fallen back to using gluconeogenesis for glucose fuel. In other words, they are on a ketogenic diet at that point. Heres something from wikipedia:

This process occurs during periods of fasting, starvation, low-carbohydrate diets, or intense exercise** and is highly endergonic. Gluconeogenesis is often associated with ketosis.

Ah, right right, this is isocaloric, controlled at 1000 kJ (approx. 240 Cal). So higher fat means less proteins and carbs... Eggs have half the amount of protein used in this study compared to the amount in fish and beef used, so it has half the insulin score.

Ah. Straight from the study's text:

Thus, postprandial insulin responses are not always propor

tional to blood glucose concentrations or to a meal's total

carbohydrate content. Several insulinotropic factors are known

to potentiate the stimulatory effect of glucose and mediate

postprandial insulin secretion. These include fructose, certain

amino acids and fatty acids, and gastrointestinal hormones such

as gastric inhibitory peptide, glucagon, and cholecystokinin

(25, 26). Thus, protein- and fat-rich foods may induce substan

tial insulin secretion despite producing relatively small blood

glucose responses. We therefore decided that comparing the

insulinemic effects of foods on an isoenergetic basis was a

logical and practical approach.

Mark's Daily Apple post on the insulinemic effects of dairy:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dairy-insulin/

It comes down to the amino acid composition of dairy proteins, specifically the amino acids leucine, valine, lysine, and isoleucine. These are the truly insulinogenic proteins, and they’re highest in whey (which is probably why whey protein elicits the biggest insulin response).
Edited by alternativista

My head hurts. Can we just eat a variety of real food and forget about it? I mean chances are, we'll be looking back at ourselves in 20 years and thinking ZOMG they were so stupid/mislead/lacked the whole picture.

My head hurts. Can we just eat a variety of real food and forget about it? I mean chances are, we'll be looking back at ourselves in 20 years and thinking ZOMG they were so stupid/mislead/lacked the whole picture.

Of course you can. Isn't that what you do? It's what I do.

Of course you can. Isn't that what you do? It's what I do.

Well, it is what I do, but I've never consciously thought if it that way. I'm still emotionally attached to the idea of honing towards the "optimal diet". I'm starting to get the feeling that its more stress/effort than its worth. Better to go jogging in my free time than be on the computer looking at research papers about food... I look at research papers all day anyway.

Okay thanks for letting me be emo.

Well, it is what I do, but I've never consciously thought if it that way. I'm still emotionally attached to the idea of honing towards the "optimal diet". I'm starting to get the feeling that its more stress/effort than its worth. Better to go jogging in my free time than be on the computer looking at research papers about food... I look at research papers all day anyway.

Okay thanks for letting me be emo.

Ups for this! I definitely think people put too much time and effort into the nitty gritty of their diets. Does it really matter? The stress of the whole thing is worse than eating a little bit of something that isn't optimal. I think peace and happiness is much more important in getting clear than the tiny little details of a well rounded whole foods diet.

Most definitely. I'm glad I got through the stress part, now I just know what I can and cannot eat. Like I've said before though eating healthy doesn't stress me out, eating unhealthy actually did stress me out haha. When I use to eat pounds of sugar every day I would get irritable easy.

But yeah vita, tiger, tangerine, we know how to eat. So now we can relax and just enjoy different dishes of healthy foods. :)

I honestly never think it's never worth it to be like "This diet is causing way too much stress, screw this I'm about to hit every fast food joint on the block!"

Just like that Lao Tzu said, every journey of a thousand steps begins with one.

We have gone like 8,000 steps lol, why go back? We've gone too far!