Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
johnray

go on accutane. heres why.

honeslty ive been reading through this form for quite some time and have seen my fair share of different ways to get rid of acne..

the way i see it... the only thing that ppl ever actually have real sucess with is going on accutane..

like fuckin.... ive heard of ppl putting fucking lemon juice on their face, baking soda,, potatos?!? even there own god dam piss...

like is this really going to work?

NO its not... and all these antibiotics ppl are talking about... i never hear about this shit working..

anyways ive been on accutane for 9 days now.. and am very exited to be using something that actually proven to work...

and thats all i have to say

The regimen works VERY well for alot of people, it's all down to the individual.

Accutane works yes but it's not without it's side effects, and IMO should only be considered after all other forms of treatment have been exhausted.

I have personally done a long course of Derm presrcribed Accuatane when I was about 19, and I can tell you from my own experience that it DID cause or was a major trigger for my depression, to the point where I needed to start anti-depressants. That was months and months after I'd finished the course of Accutane, this was ofcourse coupled with all the lesser problems, dry skin split lips, joint soreness.

Becareful with Accutane it's not something to be taken lightly I can assure you.

Yes, Accutane might be the most effective treatment for severe acne, However Doctors are extremely reluctant to prescribe accutane due to the long term effects, as my derm said to me, He would only prescribe accutane if someone has tried every other treatment, Like any antibiotic, It damages your Liver, Kidneys, And other internal Organs, Accuntane will do the same, So enjoy destroying your internal organs over the next few months, Whilst me and many others only use external creams and topical treatments, which will give results over a 3 month period. And yes, People may use lemon juice, Potatoes etc etc, Because perhaps this works for them, Everyones skin will react differnetly.

topical stuff is fine for mild acne, but if you've got deep/cystic type acne, accutane is the only solution. You'll be wasting your time with creams and lotions and potions etc. Just irritate your skin more.

They take regular blood tests to make sure that your liver etc stay healthy, so its nothing to worry about.

Its being prescribed more and more here in the UK.

Edited by flatron

they monitor the medicine. the crazy stories u here are rare cases and if they spot something bad in ur bloodwork they take u off, its not like they hand u the pills and ur on ur own.

accutane is dangerous. good luck when your hair starts to thin and ur skin never goes back to normal

Where do you get off saying that Accuatane will cause your hair to thin and make negative changes to the skin. You've never been on accutane. You sit on this website complaining your acne, and i do feel your pain. I used to have acne also. It was mild but persistant. My skin was extremely oily as well. I took accutane at an average dosage for my weight and i have had clear beuatiful skin ever since. I suggest you try accutane because nothing else can put your acne into remission. Side effects accutane barely ever occur besides badly cracked lips and dry skin. The people you hear the complaints from a the very few who either blame there problems on accutane or were in the .000000000000001 percentile that actually had a side effect. It doesn't do anything negative to the skin and losing hair on accutane happens so rarely that some dermatologists don't even believe it to be true.

nobody knows what the side effects of acne will play on your body in 40 years, and believe me when your 60 you care just as much about life as you do now.

p.s. i love snowboard, skateboarding, wakeboarding, surfing, exercising, running, jumping, swimming and to get arthritus or even some form of muscle pain that dosen't allow me to do the above I could care less about living. acne is so mild, be thankfull you don't have a disability

Mkay as someone who let a mild acne problem bother I went on accutane, WORST mistake of my life. Seriously, if you even consider this drug when you have mild acne then your a dumbie. I was dumb too.

I took a low dose for a month and health problems up the yang, and guess where of all places? My manhood. I was completely healthy, not a problem with me, then all the sudden 1 month in I was getting UTI's, yes plural as in several times. My nuts are way more sensitive now because of it. At first it was to the point where just moving hurt. It's now a year and a half past that and I STILL have a problem, not as bad but it's most definitely there. I quit going to the doctors because they just made me do the same crap over and didn't know how to treat it. Oh and during the start when all the problems were occurring constipation was definitely pleasant, and when I finally could go I wish I didn't, I mean seriously it was to the point where I feared just doing the duty, literally feared, because it would be so painful.

Accutane should only be considered if you've tried EVERYTHING under the sun, and are suffering from such horrid acne that you want to kill yourself.

I was the person who thought oh only bad things happen to a small number of people it won't happen to me, nope I ain't special neither is anyone else. I have a problem now that I'll probably have to deal with for the rest of my life. Not saying your going to get health problems by taking this drug, but the fact that people would risk their health for it is retarded, I realize that now. I'm not trying to scare anyone or anything, but don't think this drug is safe what so ever. It's absolutely not.

Anyone who is considering taking it, don't. Not worth it. Your health is way more important then some stupid zits that you will more then likely grow out of as you get older.

Sorry for the long post this is really the first time I've said anything about it but don't kid yourself thinking accutane is the only way, it's the LAST way. People have had worse and I'm thankful that I didn't, but seriously you don't mess with a guys manhood, and accutane did.

Edited by wham

I went on Accutane when I was 20. I had to stop because of severe chillitis of the lips. My lips were peeling non stop and turning to soup. I couldnt even eat a meal without looking like my lips had leprosy I stopped after a month or two because I was worried I wouldn't have any lips left if I continued. I've never seen anything like it. No lip moisturizer had any effect in helping the situation.

Accutane triggered severe depression in my friend when he was a teenager. He tried to kill himself several times as a result and hasn't really recovered into a normal life ( He's now 26)

Personally I would have loved to stay on accutane to see if it worked but it wasn't possible, because I like actually like having lips.

Edited by Johnny199r

I just wanted to add my input on accutane. There is way too much false and misleading information out there about this drug. Many people on these boards discourage people thinking about taking accutane with these horror stories that their friend's cousin's brother-in-law twice removed experienced.

Accutane does have a significant side effect profile and people should be informed before starting this drug. However, people that have experienced severe acne know that it can feel like a disability. Many people are too self-conscious to go out and become isolated and depressed. For some, accutane may be the only option that can give them their life back.

I'm in my fourth year of medical school and have spent a significant amount of time working alongside a dermatologist. I would like to clarify a few things about accutane. This information is from a dermatology textbook, it's not one person's opinion. Obviously accutane is contraindicated in pregnancy, don't get pregnant. Common side effects are very dry skin and the vast majority will experience dry lips, these respond very well to topical cortisone cream treatments. REVERSIBLE thinning of hair is possible, along with dryness in the nose. Other RARE side effects include depression, headaches, arthritis and muscular pain. Cholesterol, triglycerides, and liver function should be monitored.

In terms of the mood symptoms apparently linked to accutane, scientific studies have shown that there is NO difference between mood symptoms in those on accutane and those not on accutane at the end of the studies. In fact, it appears people with severe acne are more likely to be depressed and have suicidal ideation than those on accutane. I believe all the propaganda surrounding accutane has created too much fear.

BOTTOM LINE: Accutane is not a nice drug, however for people suffering with severe acne refractory to treatment, it leads to remission in almost all cases. Don't scare people away with horror stories, allow them to make their own decisions in conjunction with their doctor about what is right for them.

I have bad acne, I'm on accutane, my skin is very dry, my lips are red. I see people almost everyday who are on accutane. That is all for now.

the way i see it... the only thing that ppl ever actually have real sucess with is going on accutane..

like fuckin.... ive heard of ppl putting fucking lemon juice on their face, baking soda,, potatos?!? even there own god dam piss...

Maybe they try all those things you listed because they're the same people who don't want to take a chance of permanently fucking up their liver, having permanent hair loss from vitamin A toxicity, or having *insert random disease here*.

Or maybe you didn't read up on the side effects :rolleyes:

It doesn't do anything negative to the skin and losing hair on accutane happens so rarely that some dermatologists don't even believe it to be true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_A#Toxicity

Edited by nyz17

Yeah i'm scared to take this. Got prescribed to it today. Should I take it? I wanna test other treatments before it, I'm hoping and I'm thinking that Accutane isn't always the best route and that something else may help.

IMO, you should've thought carefully whether to take the risk of taking Accutane or not. The effects of it are just bullshit! It's a cure, a cure with potentially deadly side effects.

Been on accutane for about 6 1/2 months.. Side effects are chapped lips and dry skin.

You guys need to put into perspective who is going to be on this site.. Do you think people who went on accutane and had it cure their acne are going to be posting on this site? No. They most likely no longer think about their acne and have no use for acne websites. On the other hand, people who had a bad experience and developed problems ARE going to be the one's still frequenting acne websites because they are looking for an answer to their problems.

Don't get me wrong, acne comes with side effects, and serious ones at that.. but if 1000 people went on accutane and Y people developed a problem while X people were cured and are fine / much better than before who do you think is going to come back this website and tell their story?

Well put Halifax, a little perspective and perhaps food for thought for those considering a course; I'm over 2 months into a 4 month course (my 4th course 80mg/day). The only probs for me are the standard temporary dry eyes and lips and the fact that after 6 years or so my acne returns, though admittedly only in mild form. So, 20+ years after my very first course, worth noting I'm in robust health, with a full head of hair and fully functioning faculties. The clear skin Isotretinoin engenders along with plenty of high intensity exercise brings an enourmous sense of well being.

The last time I was on an acne forum was 2002 during a previous course.

Hi all. Just to say, i have been on Roaccutane for about 5 weeks at 30mg per day and my skin is totally flawless. I honestly don't think it is right for people to leave comments saying roaccutane is going to "damage your internal organs, make your hair fall out and your skin fall off etc". Reading things like this was a major factor of why i didn't go on roaccutane immedietely when my derm suggested it, and this was the worst decision i have made regarding my skin. Yes, it is a potent drug that has strong effects, but hence the frequent blood tests to check everything internally is ok. People making harsh comments should be more senstitive about acne, if a persons last hope of clearing their skin is the roaccutane it isn't a great moral boost to hear people saying your effectively damaging ur health forever is it? For me, roaccutane is working brilliantly and i would totally recommend it, who doesn't want that feeling back of looking in the mirror and seeing a flawless face. At the end of the day your derm will not put you on this treatment light heartedly and if nothing else such as the topicals or antibiotics have worked (like in my case) i truly think i suitable dose of roaccutane is the nect logical step.

lol at op saying nothing works. My attitude used to be like that when i was entering into the noob stages of my acne research.

ffs don't do accutane. I'm being insensitive cos the naive need to hear this shit. You may as well just shoot up and bag full of rat poison. ( i should know, i got suckered into accutane years ago)

You think a derm is gonna prescribe a healthy eating lifestyle over a money making pill? time to use some common sense.

Edited by chrisaus

As someone who's just about to go on accutane, I really don't care to hear about people's horror stories. Yes, I know the risks, but going on accutane and saying that all your hair will fall out is the same as eating fast food and saying that you're going to have a heart attack. It doesn't happen 100% of the time.