Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JoeBloggs

Dairy, specifically CHEESE.

Hi, does anyone else find that out of all the dairy products out there it is generally cheese that is the worst trigger for cystic jawline acne?

I ask because Ive lowered my intake of dairy massively for a couple of weeks now but will still eat a small chocolate bar here and there, however the other night I had a fairly cheesy pizza because I was absolutely starving and there was no food in the house and then the next day I got a couple of big spots on my jawline area.

Anyone else experience the same thing?

Yes, cheese is a big trigger for me. I posted some research awhile back that suggested that cheese might be even worse than other dairy products because of the fermentation process. When I increased the amount of cheese I ate, I started getting inflamed lesions again which I hadn't had much of a problem with for a long time. I also notice if I eat cream cheese (which I love on bagels!) my skin reacts within a couple of days.

Right after my last fast.. I ate a lot of junk food.. a lot of pizza

I received 3 HUGE CYSTS on my chin in a matter of HOURS...

I still recovering from it.

I think that really, really convinced me.. even though I've been convincing myself for years!

Cheese has the least lactose. Still, if it does for you, avoid it. BTW, pizza is a bad way to test cheese.

It might be the way they process the cheese. I find that any cheese (including vegan) breaks me out. It's probably not the dairy in it..

I just read something about this; apparently cheese is the one dairy product that is most dense in casein, a protein found in milk that is a common allergen and a know acne trigger. Makes a lot of sense; I went to Germany this summer and ate a ton of bread&cheese, was breaking out like crazy. I have Celiac disease, but it hadn't surfaced yet at that time. :doh:

Well Im almost 100% sure that dairy/cheese plays a part in my acne now. Im still getting acne but since about 2/3 weeks ago when I ate that pizza (with cheese), Ive not had any dairy whatsoever and as a result Ive not had any jawline acne since! And I used to always get jawline acne.

So yeah, cheese and dairy definately give me jawline acne, unfortunately Im still getting acne on other areas of my face and Im in the process of figuring that out aswell.

You should look into nut cheeses. They are SO good. Try making Raw Vegan Cashew Cheese. The recipe is all over the internet.

I just read something about this; apparently cheese is the one dairy product that is most dense in casein, a protein found in milk that is a common allergen and a know acne trigger. Makes a lot of sense; I went to Germany this summer and ate a ton of bread&cheese, was breaking out like crazy. I have Celiac disease, but it hadn't surfaced yet at that time. :doh:

Interesting, Ive just been thinking back about a year ago (when I was still on accutane) I used to take this stuff for weightlifting that was a protein shake mainly composed from casein. Well I always always would get stomach problems when taking that stuff, mostly nausea, bloated feeling and generally an irritated stomach. Normal Whey protein shakes didnt mess my stomach up, only the casein stuff....

Since I was on accutane at the time my skin didnt react to it, but now im pretty certain im allergic to casein, it makes sense since cheese breaks me out more then milk does and those casein protein shakes upset my stomach.

From what I remember reading in the past, drinking milk and eating cottage cheese are suppose to be the worst of the dairy for acne. I use to have cottage cheese every morning for protein. I cut dairy out of my diet back in August and it made a big difference in my acne. I didn't find cutting it out to be a cure, but I don't break out as badly now, and the breakouts I do have aren't nearly as inflamed.

I'm on Accutane now about to finish my 6 month course. My acne is almost gone, a small pimple like once a week but I've started working out again and I think I may be allergic to Milk/Whey Protein. I've started drinking shakes like 3 times a week. And I've noticed my acne getting a little worse, nothing major but I wonder if the accutane is stopping it from really breaking out? I tried stopping drinking shakes and drinking milk during my earlier months on Tane but I was having my initial break out and didn't really notice anything because my face was already so bad. So I figured milk had nothing to do with it. I also used to drink like 6 glasses of milk a day when I was a teen and didn't think it could effect my acne, why now? Now I'm confused, I think I'll continue taking the shakes and if it gets worse, just stop. Any advice?

I'm on Accutane now about to finish my 6 month course. My acne is almost gone, a small pimple like once a week but I've started working out again and I think I may be allergic to Milk/Whey Protein. I've started drinking shakes like 3 times a week. And I've noticed my acne getting a little worse, nothing major but I wonder if the accutane is stopping it from really breaking out? I tried stopping drinking shakes and drinking milk during my earlier months on Tane but I was having my initial break out and didn't really notice anything because my face was already so bad. So I figured milk had nothing to do with it. I also used to drink like 6 glasses of milk a day when I was a teen and didn't think it could effect my acne, why now? Now I'm confused, I think I'll continue taking the shakes and if it gets worse, just stop. Any advice?

You might be allergic to dairy but also if you've only started working out again it could just be the increased testosterone levels causing you to break out. I break out worse during prologed periods of intense training..

I had been dairy free for 5 months...finally I was seeing real results with my face after I quit treatments and was eating only whole grains, fish, tea, so forth. Recently I gave in to my depression cravings and ate dairy for three days in a row....ice cream the first two days and cheese pizza on the third. It wasn't until after I ate the pizza that I woke up with 9 new pimples with at least 50% of those being painful, deep, inflamed ones with pus. So I am now a firm believer that dairy does in fact play a role in the worsening of acne. At least now we know, right? And have seen it for ourselves. I just hope I can get past this terrible breakout first before I make anymore rash decisions. Best of luck!

I had been dairy free for 5 months...finally I was seeing real results with my face after I quit treatments and was eating only whole grains, fish, tea, so forth. Recently I gave in to my depression cravings and ate dairy for three days in a row....ice cream the first two days and cheese pizza on the third. It wasn't until after I ate the pizza that I woke up with 9 new pimples with at least 50% of those being painful, deep, inflamed ones with pus. So I am now a firm believer that dairy does in fact play a role in the worsening of acne. At least now we know, right? And have seen it for ourselves. I just hope I can get past this terrible breakout first before I make anymore rash decisions. Best of luck!

Isn't it crazy how that happens? I've had similar incidents where I had dairy a few days in a row and then woke up with a bunch of new inflamed pimples. It's really shocking how fast they can pop up from dairy, when it takes so long to clear!

Any dairy triggers cystic acne for me. I wish I would have known sooner.

me too, back in high school when i didnt know milk was such a huge factor me, i used to always drink milk with lunch and at that time i had pretty bad cystic acne. I still have one bad scar, 15 years later on my left side of face. I wish i could go back in time and had the knowledge of what triggers my acne, i would have done so many things differently just to keep my acne at bay and not letting it get severe.