Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gloorb

Missing school and work due to acne

I went on Accutane last year and it cleared up my skin.. for a little while. The cystic acne is back. I think I have BDD.. I've read up on it and how they describe their day-to-day is exactly what mine's like. I obsess about my acne. I've been missing a lot of classes lately because I don't want to come to school looking gross like that. When I walk around campus with people, I like to put my hood on or look away so people can't notice my acne or the makeup I'm wearing.. idk.. all i can say is that it's effed.. I had these huge pimples on my cheek and i popped them and now they're like open sores and I know I shouldn't have done that.. but I did. I didn't go to school today or yesterday and I called in sick for work. Have you guys done this before? I always see girls walking around school with no makeup and I wanna be like that too.. Mine's not as bad as a lot of peoples' on here.. but it used to be, although I'm guessing like 3 zits this ginormous would upset anyone.. although the wounds are much worse now. Are other people going through what I'm going through?

hello!

sometimes i am so embarrassed because of my acne. i feel like when i go around in school and people stare at me, all the blood rushes to my cheeks. then i am frightened because i feel all that warmth in my cheeks and i think that my pimple may explode on somebody and that would start some kind of miniature epidemic which would be my fault!

even though i am like this i will never miss a day of school because i am looking like something that came out the hippo's butt. education is so important - work is too!

in the grand scheme these tiny days when a couple of pimples may be exposed do not matter. go out and LIVE YO LYFEEEEE

Gah.. I can't imagine. I've had huge breakouts but school/work is so much more important than how you look. I never have and I don't think I ever could miss either. :confused:

I once called into work because I had this huge ass zit on my face. I picked at it, too, so I made it even worse. Make-up wouldn't cover it. So I'm like, well there is no way I'm going to work like this. I felt horrible doing it, though.

I have BDD, and I was fired from work because of it. I've missed a lot of university already and I feel like I'm going to have to drop out now.

It's very frustrating because my acne cleared up for a while, but I didn't feel any better as I found something else to obsess over. Now, I feel hopeless as my acne has returned and I don't feel as though I'm worthy to have it clear up.. because I was so ungrateful when it did.

Anyway, I feel your pain. BDD is a horrible thing and not many people understand it. It's very easy for someone without it to say "just go out and live your life". I really wish it were that simple, but it's as though you're trapped in a body that only you can see. When you have acne as well, and you know for definite that there actually is something wrong with your face, and that people react to that.. that adds so much more to the condition.

Edited by Pixxe

Do you all really believe, deep down, that the world cares about your acne that much to miss school and work?

It is not how you look that matters. It is your character. If you were to come in with cysts and whiteheads all over your face but you greeted every stranger then they will more than likely LOVE you. They will want to talk to you. Most people care about each other. They will LOVE the fact that you are not afraid of your acne, but instead you are willing to show the world who you really are on the inside.

Hiding yourself from the world makes your acne worse. Doing this over and over again will cause you to have acne for as long as you hide yourself. One pimple or one thousand pimples... get out there. Show yourself. Develop a unique personality.

Keep your head held high, smile, and greet every stranger that you walk by who looks at you. I have been doing this more and more and my happiness continues to sky rocket while I live a stress free life.

It's not about your acne, it's about how you react to your acne. And, nothing is difficult. What makes it difficult is the simple fact that we believe it is. Your perception creates your reality. If you think no one wants to talk to you then well no one will talk to you because you are showing the world that you don't want to talk to anyone.

Talk to strangers, make new friends, best friends, and maybe even find your spouse through a simple, "hello, how are you?"... it works guys.

Want to shoot me a message? Please do so. I am here to help other acne sufferers get through acne and finally live an acne free life. :D

Do you all really believe, deep down, that the world cares about your acne that much to miss school and work?

It is not how you look that matters. It is your character. If you were to come in with cysts and whiteheads all over your face but you greeted every stranger then they will more than likely LOVE you. They will want to talk to you. Most people care about each other. They will LOVE the fact that you are not afraid of your acne, but instead you are willing to show the world who you really are on the inside.

Hiding yourself from the world makes your acne worse. Doing this over and over again will cause you to have acne for as long as you hide yourself. One pimple or one thousand pimples... get out there. Show yourself. Develop a unique personality.

Keep your head held high, smile, and greet every stranger that you walk by who looks at you. I have been doing this more and more and my happiness continues to sky rocket while I live a stress free life.

It's not about your acne, it's about how you react to your acne. And, nothing is difficult. What makes it difficult is the simple fact that we believe it is. Your perception creates your reality. If you think no one wants to talk to you then well no one will talk to you because you are showing the world that you don't want to talk to anyone.

Talk to strangers, make new friends, best friends, and maybe even find your spouse through a simple, "hello, how are you?"... it works guys.

Want to shoot me a message? Please do so. I am here to help other acne sufferers get through acne and finally live an acne free life. :D

This is good advise for those not suffering with other mental issues. I do try this, but it's very difficult.

If you are serious about the BDD though, I'd suggest telling your doctor and he will most likely refer you to a psychiatrist. Anti-depressents help some people, as well as Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. This website is good: http://www.bddcentral.com/ and there's a good write-up on the condition here: http://www.veale.co.uk/bdd.html

I miss school sometimes but more because of just being lazy/not wanting to deal with it that day type things. I never missed school when I was at my worst though, although if it happened to me again don't know what I would do.

Couple weeks ago I saw someone with some pretty severe acne, but he didnt seem down or anything. He was talking to his friend and nobody seemed to notice. I felt a lot of respect for him.

I wonder what it would be like if everyone who knew what you were going through, said something to you and not just people talking shit about you. Although it would suck to have your face come up in conversation that often, positive or negative.

*applause*

it's all about perception..

thanks for that post.. encourages me

Edited by recoverme

yes i am like you. 22 and missing school and work cus of fuking acne. and worst is that i've gone to work couple times with a really huge one. and i always think about it in my head and keep feeling embarrassed and will carry with me through life :( . i used to have ok skin wayyy back then. it was more managable if i tried really hard. but now when i try really hard to get rid of it it seems impossible. i get the huge ass cysts. i don't know what to do. its so hard and i'm really scared. why? because i've just finished my 3rd round of accutane a month ago and my severe acne is going to happen all over again and i may have to turn to a FOURTH ROUND of accutane which gets pretty dangerous. being on my 3rd caused me great depression and some mental problems. as for now i'm trying to do what i can to prevent it by excercising, eating fruit/vegetable smoothies regularly, trying to get enough sleep, cutting out dairy completely, and more sleep. i think sleep is one of the major causes though for me having recently thinking about it because i often sleep really late. sometimes 2pm sometimes 3pm and it causes hormonal imbalance. it's pretty bad. so i should try to sleep at 12 and wake up at 8. anyways i'm really scared... i want to quit work and school for maybe 1/2 year and try to rid the acne but my mum would kill me and wouldn't understand.

I called in sick to work yesterday, and today too. I've been crying all day.. I have huge cysts all over my cheeks and i tried popping all of them and it looks disgusting and have left like.. open sores. I'm starting my second round of accutane tomorrow. I'm going to see the doctor tomorrow morning and I know she won't object to giving me the meds. I've been taking like 300,000> IU of vitamin A every day for the past week and it seems like I'm shedding more hair than usual but I don't know if it's just me being paranoid about the hair loss and thinking it's happening.. but it really could be happening? I missed the last 2 days of school, last 2 days of work, and I'd miss school again if I didn't have labs monday tuesday and wednesday. I seriously think I'm going to get fired from work. I'm not myself at school and that's all I think about. I'm crying right now. Life was good a few months ago, after my first accutane treatment. 6 months later, it's back to how it was before the accutane. I feel like I wanna give up and just stay home forever.. I hate life.

I called in sick to work yesterday, and today too. I've been crying all day.. I have huge cysts all over my cheeks and i tried popping all of them and it looks disgusting and have left like.. open sores. I'm starting my second round of accutane tomorrow. I'm going to see the doctor tomorrow morning and I know she won't object to giving me the meds. I've been taking like 300,000> IU of vitamin A every day for the past week and it seems like I'm shedding more hair than usual but I don't know if it's just me being paranoid about the hair loss and thinking it's happening.. but it really could be happening? I missed the last 2 days of school, last 2 days of work, and I'd miss school again if I didn't have labs monday tuesday and wednesday. I seriously think I'm going to get fired from work. I'm not myself at school and that's all I think about. I'm crying right now. Life was good a few months ago, after my first accutane treatment. 6 months later, it's back to how it was before the accutane. I feel like I wanna give up and just stay home forever.. I hate life.

Hair loss is absolutely a side effect of what you're doing. Please stop taking so much. You should never take more than 8,000 IU. Taking doses that high are, more than likely, fatal.

Edited by Lady Odd Duck

The vitamin A supplements are 10,000 IU each. I read that taking 250,000 IU every day would give you the effects of accutane.

The vitamin A supplements are 10,000 IU each. I read that taking 250,000 IU every day would give you the effects of accutane.

Accutane is a different form of Vitamin A that is actually much safer than high doses of other forms. And those on Accutane have to get tested monthly to make sure they aren't reacting badly.

I've been taking a lot of vitamin A for the past week and a half. Do you think this could be an initial breakout, like I had when I started accutane? I HOPE it is just an initial breakout and won't continue like this....

I usually don't speak out against people taking accutane on this forum because it definitely helps people..

BUT NOT PERMANENTLY..

People need to stop taking this dangerous drug..

but if you're on it I don't mean to discourage you cause it could make you clear..

but I'm tellin you, I heard so many people be clear for years then get acne again..

it's all about diet

Do NOT take that much!!! It will just really mess you up. The was this one guy who made a thread here about the consequences he got from overdosing on vitamin A. It was not pretty. I took 40,000 IU for 3 weeks then dropped it to 10,000 IU. My skin HAS improved. You do NOT need to take that much. You might cosider Accutane. Its alot safer.

I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE you to quit taking that much Vitamin A immediately. Your health is going completely downhill with that much dosage.

Stop taking it all together. Add a green smoothie to your diet. This will allow you to naturally get your Vitamin A from greens. STOP TAKING THAT DOSAGE immediately if you do not want to experience fatal side effects.

Please, do yourself and the rest of the world a favor by quitting Vitamin A now. Please. It will help you.

Shoot me a message if you want help. I would be MORE THAN HAPPY to help you out.

I went on Accutane last year and it cleared up my skin.. for a little while. The cystic acne is back. I think I have BDD.. I've read up on it and how they describe their day-to-day is exactly what mine's like. I obsess about my acne. I've been missing a lot of classes lately because I don't want to come to school looking gross like that. When I walk around campus with people, I like to put my hood on or look away so people can't notice my acne or the makeup I'm wearing.. idk.. all i can say is that it's effed.. I had these huge pimples on my cheek and i popped them and now they're like open sores and I know I shouldn't have done that.. but I did. I didn't go to school today or yesterday and I called in sick for work. Have you guys done this before? I always see girls walking around school with no makeup and I wanna be like that too.. Mine's not as bad as a lot of peoples' on here.. but it used to be, although I'm guessing like 3 zits this ginormous would upset anyone.. although the wounds are much worse now. Are other people going through what I'm going through?

Have you seen a counselor? They can really help. I'd recommend finding a counselor/therapist/psychologist first, because 1) you can try just talking first and save meds for if that doesn't help; and 2) you can be referred directly to a psychiatrist and won't be prescribed psychiatric medication by a general practitioner, who might be less familiar with it than a psychiatrist. Your college may have its own counseling program. Mine does, and it's a great program. If it exists, you could probably find it on your school's website. If your school doesn't have a program, you could call your insurance company and ask them who they cover in your area.

I haven't missed school or work due to acne, but I've missed A LOT of school due to depression. It sucks missing out on life for a stupid reason you have no control over. It seems so easy to do everyday things and yet you can't. Like you're frozen. Then you get to watch "normal" people (like the girls who don't wear makeup) walk around and live their lives to the fullest, while you're left behind. It's like you're in a fish bowl and can only watch real life, but not participate in it. And you're drowning in your own crap. Anyway, I'm guessing that's what being limited by BDD feels like, since that's what depression feels like, and they can have some similar effects on your life.

Edit: Since you're talking about something psychological with BDD, getting psychological help for it will help you far more than overdosing on vitamin A, especially if the vitamin A kills you. Your problem is more in how you see yourself and the world, not strictly how bad your skin is. Effectively treating your acne might help, but you probably won't be more than superficially happy with your skin until you talk to somebody.

Edited by Addie

:clap: this is the best advice ever. thank you

NO NO NO NO GET OFF THE VITAMIN A RIGHT. NOW.

There was someone on here not so long ago who posted about doing this...his symptoms continued even after seven months of stopping Vitamin A intake.

Here is the thread: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Vitamin-t234595.html

For gods sake, you will kill yourself from the hairloss. Having no/little hair is as bad as having massive cysts on your face. You don't have the willpower to deal with both these problems at once, FOR GODS SAKE GET OFF THE VITAMIN A PLEASE.

Edited by Beautiful Day