Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LoveGreenSmoothies

My Spiro Log

Day 5

Still doing Ok! Nothing new to report. I am 18 days into my cycle, so it's good I am not really feeling anything going on under the skin. I usually am by now. I'll know what's going on better in about 10 days, assuming my cycle isn't affected.

I am still worried about an IB. Being on such a low dose may mean it just takes longer to come. Let's hope not!

I feel sick in the day too. Always helped with some food. I used to feel very sick on dianette (BCP), and gave that up after a few years of that feeling. This sickness isn't half as bad.

And yes, I'm experiencing the tears too! Who'd be women!

mx

Day 6

I have woken up for the past few days with a bit of a headache, but it goes away right away. I tend to have sinus headaches, and they are worse in the am, so maybe it's that. I am not sure yet, but that's the only side effect so far. *fingers crossed* I am on the lowest dose, so I may get SE's when I raise it...

I am thinking of going up to 50 mgs. in a day or so (Tuesday). Wish me luck!

Edited by Anti - Em

One Week

I am the same.

I may go up to 50 mgs. tomorrow. I probably will. If it causes SE's I will bump it back down to 25mgs. I am supposed to be on 100 mgs. a day, so I am at 1/4 of my dose....

I am happy i don't have any SE's yet, but I keep telling myself that that is most likely due to my low dose, because I am NOT that lucky.

I really think it may be due to my slightly increased salt intake too. I also drink a good amount of water, so both of these things help. So far, I was eatin pretzels for salt, but I don't usually eat that stuff and I was looking for a more natural source of salt. Olives are good. So, I had them today instead. I'm also going to eat pickles and sauerkraut, but can't eat too much sauerkraut because it has potassium. I find that I don't need to eat too much salt, but maybe that will change when I increase my dose.

Still wondering if I should start drinking licorice root tea to get rid of excess potassium.

Edited by Anti - Em

It's supposed to help. They did a study on it with people who were taking spiro and the people taking licorice root had no SE's. For you, you should look into whether you can take it with your other meds and medical conditions, because some people shouldn't take it. I don't remember the conditions or meds though. If you do a google search you should find info.

I research everything to death! I feel like knowledge is power in all things. It can be a bit obsessive....

You don't need to eat a lot of salt. With your thyroid, you should eat sea salt and not iodized because of the iodine -- it affects the thyroid.

I've noticed I am a lot hungrier than I usually am...most people report the opposite. Why am I getting the opposite reactions of everyone else? Is it my low dose? I also still have water retention in my stomach. It seems worse, lol, I haven't been eating that much more and I was underweight to begin with... It is probably the salt.. but I still seem to be having a different reaction than others....Hmmm...

I know! I'm always worrying about potassium and now salt!!

I am eating more btw. I thought it was a reaction to feeling ill from the spiro (food always makes me feel better), but I think I actually eating more. I do feel thinner though, but that could be mental more than anything.

m x

Day 8

My endo is very painful today. I don't think it's from the spiro, it gets like this sometimes. Ugh...so I don't know if I'll take 50 mgs. today. I may do it tomorrow.

I am really thinking about drinking that licorice root tea. I may do that today.

Otherwise, everything is the same. I had some blackheads on my nose and they look like they may be going away. No breakouts yet.

I am nauseated and bloated. Blech.

I am also becoming really worried about potassium because all the foods I eat have it. The only way around this would be to eat refined foods, like white bread, cakes, no veggies. That is the opposite of my diet and I don't even like that food...

Edited by Anti - Em

My derm just warned me to stay away from bananas. Didn't mention any other food. And in the spiro pamphlet it says you can consume normal amounts of potassium, just don't od on the stuff.

Don't go down the junk food road, it'll bring about even more problems!

m x

Maybe it's just stress related!!

I'm craving sugar this week, wasn't last week. That's a cycle thing.

So we're both eating more then... wonder why?

I am not stressed out. I usually don't eat more during my cycle, but I agree it may be hormone related, since spiro does stuff to your hormones. I am actually glad because I lost a lot of weight this past fall, so maybe I will gain it back. :)

My derm just warned me to stay away from bananas. Didn't mention any other food. And in the spiro pamphlet it says you can consume normal amounts of potassium, just don't od on the stuff.

Don't go down the junk food road, it'll bring about even more problems!

m x

I know, I don't think anyone realizes it's in so many foods. I'm just afraid because everything I eat has it....veggies, meats, fish, grains. It must have a cumulative effect.

I can't eat junk food. I don't even like it!

Day 9

I think it's day 9...I am starting to forget what day I'm on...

I am still doing ok. I have gotten a few tiny one's but they're so small, that they don't even bother me. I hesitate to even mention them. They are not red or inflamed at all. There are about 2 or 3. I am also in the last week before my TOTM, so it could be that.

Will maybe take 50 mgs. tomorrow because I need to split them up and it's too late in the day to do that...

TY, Tash!

I may be having an IB. I have a lot of little bumps on my cheeks. You can't really see them, which is why I didn't know they were really there, but I felt them in the shower. I am in that week before TOTM, but it usually doesn't get that way. They are not inflamed or red and are very small. If that's all I get, I won't complain, so long as they don't leave red marks or scars. I hope they go away soon, even though they are small, because I worry about more scarring.

I am still very hungry very often. :o

Edited by Anti - Em

Day 10

I just took my 2nd 25 mg. tablet a minute ago! This means I am officially on 50 mgs!! :dance:

I hope it gets rid of my scalp oil. I hate having to wash my hair everyday. My hair is long, so everything but the scalp gets dry. I don't like it. I do much better washing it every other day.

Nothing new to report except the dosage change. : D

DAY 11

Second day on 50 mgs. I woke up this am with that headache again -- the one I had when I first started taking spiro. I am guessing it's my body adjusting to the dose, because it went away after a few days last time.

Nothing else is new here. I'm still really hungry! My hair still needs to be washed daily. I wish I knew how long that took to stop. When does spiro stop oil on the scalp?

I feel like I'll eventually have to go up to at least 100 mgs.

I really am afraid I will have to stop taking this because of high potassium or something else. I'd be very upset, because I think it's going to work. :(

Edited by Anti - Em

I am wondering why I am having the opposite side effects as everyone else. Is it because I am the only one on aldactone (brand name of spiro)? I'm not complaining, mind you, I have no dizziness, no extra br trips, no excessive thirst, and no decreased appetite. I decided to take the brand name, because on the PCOS boards they all quoted some respected PCOS MD and author that said it works better than generic. Less side effects and more effective. Maybe this is why I am having no side effects? I DO have a bit of calf cramping, but it's not constant and not severe.

I actually have the opposite of all of these. I usually (pre-spiro) have excess thirst, excess BR trips, and lower appetite. It's so weird that I am having the opposite effects. Could it be all my problems before were because of excess androgens/testosterone??

This would happen to me....I am always the one to have opposite effects! I hope this doesn't mean it won't work for me.

Edited by Anti - Em

Day 12

Day 3 on 50 mgs.

I am still getting periodic leg cramps. I don't like it. They aren't constant. I would really like to know if other people got them and if they went away. That is my only side effect. I'm wondering if my calcium is low...spiro removes calcium...

No headache today.

I hope I don't have to stop taking spiro because of this...

Edited by Anti - Em

Day 13

4th day on 50 mgs.

I really don't like how my skin looks today. I'm still concerned about the leg cramps. I am definitely not raising my dose until after my K+ test next week. If the cramps continue or get worse, I am lowering my dose back to 25 mgs. until after my test.