Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
goodlife

Some advice please.

Ok, being a guy I am not keen on wearing makeup, but I don't mind wearing a primer, followed by a tinted moisturiser to even out redness.

My question is how long after using a primer should I wait before using the moisturiser, and what are the best ways to apply both?

Thanks

what do you mean by primer? primer for what? maybe since you are looking to conceal some redness you could try a tinted moisturizer? otherwise, put your moisturizer on first, wait about 10 minutes and then put on the primer. hope that helps!!

Moisturize first! I am an EXPERT at covering up red marks and scars from acne.

If you moisturize and then put a concealer on, it'll go on better, if you put moisturizer over it, it'll wipe it off which I'm sure you've noticed. My brother uses Clearasil tinted acne treatment (little tube with cap)...but I'm not sure how he likes me, I can never tell he's using it. I use Almay, but I'm a girl. I used to use Organix Tinted Moisturizer. Use something LIGHT since you are a guy, not a legit make up foundation but rather a tinted moisturizer. I apply all my make up with those little white cosmetic sponges, maybe give those a try, I HIGHLY recommend those! That was your fingers aren't touching your face PLUS it goes on more evenly and quickly.

It sounds to me like you're using too much Primer!

Try using a pea sized amount and rub in using circular movement from the centre of the face outwards. I would suggest the same process with your Tinted Moisturiser and just build up the coverage to what you need, using the same application method. You always apply primer before your coverage reguardless of what type you're using (foundation ect.)

You don't say if you apply a oil-free lotion to your skin before priming it, so I suggest you invest in one as it will fight spots while hydrating the skin. You should apply that to a damp face and allow it to absorb into the skin. Also if you have a particularly red area then try to find a green concealer stick, you apply that to the area and blend using your ring finger, you would apply that before your tinted moisturiser but after your primer. If you are using your fingers to do all this then you might want to buy some anti bacterial hand wash, so you don't spread any infection.

Hopefully that should be of some help to you

:)xx

Ok, being a guy I am not keen on wearing makeup, but I don't mind wearing a primer, followed by a tinted moisturiser to even out redness.

My question is how long after using a primer should I wait before using the moisturiser, and what are the best ways to apply both?

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, I am a little confused now though. Is tinted moisturiser actually makeup? I don't mind using it because it doesn't sit on your skin, not too mention have SPF in it.

I don't want to use any concealer, but I thought primer would make the tinted moisturiser look better, maybe I'm wrong with that.

Moisturize first! I am an EXPERT at covering up red marks and scars from acne.

If you moisturize and then put a concealer on, it'll go on better, if you put moisturizer over it, it'll wipe it off which I'm sure you've noticed. My brother uses Clearasil tinted acne treatment (little tube with cap)...but I'm not sure how he likes me, I can never tell he's using it. I use Almay, but I'm a girl. I used to use Organix Tinted Moisturizer. Use something LIGHT since you are a guy, not a legit make up foundation but rather a tinted moisturizer. I apply all my make up with those little white cosmetic sponges, maybe give those a try, I HIGHLY recommend those! That was your fingers aren't touching your face PLUS it goes on more evenly and quickly.

You are indeed an expert. It isn't that easy for guys to get away with wearing concealer ect, although it would give me some confidence back.

You look great with and without makeup by the way :wub: I have been following your blog, good luck.

Tinted moisturizer is basically moisturizer with makeup in it. You can actully buy foundation and moisturizer separately and mix them together before you use them to make your own tinted moisturizer. This is kind of a nice option because you can get a color closer to your skin tone, and you can customize how opaque or translucent you want the tinted moisturizer depending on how your skin looks that day.

And as for when to put on the primer, I think most suggest putting on moisturizer before primer then applying foundation, but since you're just using tinted moisturizer, I'd put on the primer before the tinted moisturizer.

Apply the primer first -- if you're applying a tinted moisturiser over it, you should be using a primer that is Oil Free, and preferably something with yarrow extract, vitamin E or chamomile in - which aids A LOT in the smoothing and setting of any product applied over it.

Generally, the rule is ... you usually only have to wait about a minute, two minutes at the very most, before applying foundation or tinted moisturiser over your primer. But this also depends on your skin type and what type of primer you are using. If you have oily skin - you may have to wait a bit longer for the primer to set before you apply anything over it. If your skin is normal, then you should only really have to wait about a minute or so.

You should make sure that the moisturiser you are using is also oil free, you don't want to be applying something thick and heavy and ridden with oils because it will simply counteract the whole purpose of your primer.

Alternatively, you can purchase pre-foundation primers which already have a base colour in them. You can find one that is suited to your skin tone - which may even eliminate one more process you have to do in the morning :)