Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GreenMond

IBS Treatment (similar to probiotics?)

So it's for the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome. While I don't have the condition. I do have an issue with digestion I'm repairing with colostrum and hopefully probiotics when I manage to get them. I read the label and it seems to be similar. Here are two points that made me think this: Help maintain normal bowel function and promote healthy digestive function. It's the last point that's more important. Would this be safe/similar to taking probiotics? I mean what do you think?

I don't know anything about any of this, but I was just curious as to what kind of treatment it is. I used to take Digestive Advantage IBS, which says right on the box that it contains a probiotic.

but I was just curious as to what kind of treatment it is.

Yeah me too. On the label of mine it says "Each capsule contains 20 billion Lactobacillus plantarum (299v) organisms". So it sounds like some form of probiotic is in there as it's purpose is to aid in digestion. But I'd be worried if it has something else in there that wouldn't be safe to take without having the condition. As I'd just be taking it for the probiotics I think are involved.

Couldn't you call your doctor and ask? I would do that just to be sure.

But I personally don't think it could be any harm. A lot of yogurts contain millions of probiotics, and being that most of those yogurts don't even work for me--I'm sure that 20 million will probably actually do some good.

I am not a doctor, though, and don't have IBS (although I do suffer from constipation all the freakin' time.) so I don't want to lead you the wrong way.

If I were in your position though, my dad (who went to medical school) would have me take it just to see how it goes, because frankly, the worst thing I can think of happening is diarrhea or something. Which is what happens to him when he eats yogurts with probiotics when his digestive system is perfectly regular.