Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can someone please explain why when I was a child/teenager I ate skimmed milk (apparently worse than semi and whole milk) and didn't have acne. I only ate it with one bowl of cereal, in tea and occasional cheese. I never drank it straight.

When I was in my early 20s I got acne often on chin and jawline. I had continued to eat the same amount of milk.

Then a few months back I cut out milk (I;m 26) and I got good results but as I has started a new pill and a new AHA/BHA gel etc I figured it was those and not the milk. A few weeks ago i strated to eat milk again. ANd this week I have got cysts back again (only 2-3). Could it be the milk? I haven't changed my skin care regime.

Are we more sensitive to milk in our 20s onwards because of our hormones (as females)? Or am I just panicking and that the milk isn't the cause of my acne?

Any help gratefully received x

Edited by Ceej

Can someone please explain why when I was a child/teenager I ate skimmed milk (apparently worse than semi and whole milk) and didn't have acne. I only ate it with one bowl of cereal, in tea and occasional cheese. I never drank it straight.

When I was in my early 20s I got acne often on chin and jawline. I had continued to eat the same amount of milk.

Then a few months back I cut out milk (I;m 26) and I got good results but as I has started a new pill and a new AHA/BHA gel etc I figured it was those and not the milk. A few weeks ago i strated to eat milk again. ANd this week I have got cysts back again (only 2-3). Could it be the milk? I haven't changed my skin care regime.

Are we more sensitive to milk in our 20s onwards because of our hormones (as females)? Or am I just panicking and that the milk isn't the cause of my acne?

Any help gratefully received x

Some people says that milk contains steroids and antibiotics that can be harmful to us in the long run.

Your problem may arise from the fact that due to years of eating a bad diet, toxins are accumulated to your body and it affects your immune system. This is why your body does not tolerate some food that contains those toxins that can trigger an allergic reactions.

Yes, there is an excellent chance it could be the milk. There are many studies that link dairy to acne. But, if you were shooting half court shots for 1 million dollars and you had the choice between taking 100 shots and 1... you would take 100 shots, right?

This is the same with acne... doing one thing may not do anything. There is a great chance that avoiding dairy could clear you up. But, living a healthier lifestyle in all areas (diet, sleep, exercise, stress, fresh air, sunlight, etc.) will give you the best chance of being acne free and disease free in the long run.

Shoot me a message if you want some 1 on 1 help.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1924348...ogdbfrom=pubmed

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1924348...ogdbfrom=pubmed

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1923247...ogdbfrom=pubmed

Milk: great for (freak) growth, bad for health (and acne).

And don't think organic milk would help, it's not just the hormones or antibiotics.

Now that you're old enough that you've stopped growing, I strongly suggest you stop eating dairy. Well I suggest you'd never had eaten it, but oh well. If you want me to elaborate, just ask. I'm not zealous, just lazy.

Great thanks for all your replies and clarifying the accumulative effect of milk over years. I already live quite a healthy lifestyle... running/swimming/dancing, home cooked food etc so my next step will be to cut out milk just to see if it is that again.... here we go again!

I'm reading into alot about milk and acne and most if it is the correlation between the antibiotics and hormones that are injected into cows and then transferred to us. Additionally, milk also has no nutritional value and I do believe we've all been led to believe that it does have high nutritional value. The only thing I can say that is good about it is that it has alot of calcium, which we CAN get from other sources.

I'm proud to say I've been off milk for over a month (with no great results though) but it's good for my overall health. I don't think cheese would do much damage but I do opt for greek goat's fetta cheese (although it has alot of salt, I use a little only).

I drink ricemilk ocassionally, sometimes soy. Yogurt should be fine, if it's low sugar and organic.

I wish you Godspeed my friend!

Additionally, milk also has no nutritional value

I'm sorry but this is just plain false. If milk has 'no nutritional value' how is it that calves survive to adulthood? Maybe you meant no nutritional value to humans, but this is also false.

Any person can read a nutrition label and see that milk is a good source of protein, vitamin D, riboflavin, B12, calcium and phosphorus.

To the OP, some people lose their ability to digest lactose as they age and that may be what you're experiencing.

To be clear, I am not defending commercial milk. I don't think anyone should drink the stuff. But raw milk from pasture fed cows is quite a different story.

Treefeet, after a little more research you will see that cutting down on milk is necessary and it's been an advertised commodity, nothing more.

A new movie to come out: the facts on milk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFweMS-Mj7o

Milk is basically 'glue' in your body (howigotclear acne blogspot) that's why they use it in many glues as one of the ingredients. Calcium is not the ONLY thing that mantains strong bones. Many milk and bread products are ENRICHED with additional vitamins.

Milk does not contain vitamin D, is aids the facilitation. Vitamin D is from cod oil and sunlight. They are the only sources.

You take a handful of nuts and spinach, that's equivalent or more of proteine, riboflavin, and nutrients.

Organic milk is better, but it's still milk.

I'm sorry, you saying that because it has 5 different nutrients in it and saying that that defends it's title as one of the world's most beneficial products of nutritional value is ridiculous.