Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
helpneeded101

Finished Accutane Last week. What now??

Hey, everybody. I finished my treatment last week. I was on 80 mg. I've been clear for a couple of weeks except the occasional discrete pimple. Dryness was pretty bad for awhile so I'm looking forward to that fading as well as the redness.

My appt with the dermatologist is not til march because he said he wanted to give my skin some time to recover before prescribing anything new like differin.

What should I be doing now to prevent the acne from coming back. Currently I'm washing my face once a day with the cetaphil cleanser and moisturizing with cerave and aquaphor as necessary.

Any advice from people with experience ending a treatment would be great!

Hey, everybody. I finished my treatment last week. I was on 80 mg. I've been clear for a couple of weeks except the occasional discrete pimple. Dryness was pretty bad for awhile so I'm looking forward to that fading as well as the redness.

My appt with the dermatologist is not til march because he said he wanted to give my skin some time to recover before prescribing anything new like differin.

What should I be doing now to prevent the acne from coming back. Currently I'm washing my face once a day with the cetaphil cleanser and moisturizing with cerave and aquaphor as necessary.

Any advice from people with experience ending a treatment would be great!

Congrats on finishing your treatment :D

I think you should stick with the cetaphil for a while cos your skin will be dry for about a month before slowly returning back to normal and then you can use the cetaphil twice a day. and dont forget to always wear sunscreen as well cos even after accutane, your skin will still easily burn.

I found aloe vera gel really helpful for reducing redness

Edited by ocean27

thanks for the advice about the aloe

any type in particular that you would recommend?

Hello! sorryfor the late reply.

im using aloe vera gel from Merino which is a NZ company and im using it cos i got it free from a friend.

any aloe vera gel thats around 90 to 100% pure is great. The purer the better cos if it has heaps of other things in the gel that lotions usually have, it wont work too well.

Sorry for not being much help :( i live in NZ and im not sure whats available overseas.

im sure theres some great links around the forums tho! :)

or if you have any access to the actual aloe plant itself its great to cut some of it and put in the fridge overnite and applying it on your face. its great for sunburns as well :)

i would keep doing what you're doing - washing once a day and moisturizing.

it took a few weeks for my lips to stop feeling super dry, for the oil to come back to my hair. i STILL use cetaphil facewash, and eucerin moisturizer. even though i'm no longer on accutane, i'll never use products other than cetephil, ceraVe and eucerin.