Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Axxith

My Official Dermarolling Log :)

Alright! Well after doing several TCA peels (ranging from 10% to 15% to 20% with different amount of layers each time), I have decided the best thing to treat my scars is dermarolling.

Background: I have had acne since about freshmen but it never really got troublesome until the summer of 2009. Around June-July I had so many breakouts it was utterly disgusting. Fortunately I went on this forum and realized I could be taking supplements! (which as the time I wasn't taking any). So now after my supplemental regimen (which I still take today), along with head & shoulders + dan's AHA+ I have kept myself clear :) (And any pimples I get are so small they most likely won't even leave a scar). I'm still recovering from hyperpigmentation on my chin (which had badddd acne) and on my right cheek, but I'm using 2% Hydroquinone to combat that.

Anywho, I have just applied the EMLA cream (5%) to my left cheek (which isn't too big of an area) and at 8PM (I live in Vegas), I will be rolling! To be honest i'm nervous :/ I'm looking at this dermaroller (which is the Dr. Roller 3-line roller) and 1.5mm is LONG haha. But about 5-10 minutes before I plan on icing my left cheek for further numbness.

After rolling I will be applying Jason's Hyper-C Serum (Vitamin C) to the affected area.

Edited by Axxith

DAY ONE:

My skin has a medium-deep red hue to it and looks slightly swollen. To be honest, it didn't hurt as much as I thought it would. In fact, it barely hurt. EMLA + ice are the key combination :)

I had a few blood droplets and I rolled about 5-8 times in each direction. At first I didn't apply a lot of pressure (I was scared lol), but towards the end I applied more (and thus more small blood droplets came out). Perhaps I should have applied more pressure, but in 4-6 weeks i'll do another dermaroll session and be more in control then.

Immediately after I finished I set the roller on a napkin and applied Jason's Hyper-C Serum (on a qtip) on my left cheek. I slathered on the serum like no tomorrow! Haha.

I don't have any classes tomorrow (thankfully) so I'll be staying in tomorrow.

:)

Edited by Axxith

DAY TWO:

My left cheek is slightly red, although the color has come down substantially since last night. Nothing major to focus on...i'll update later in the week (instead of everyday) if anything major happens.

Otherwise...i'd say for my first roll I did pretty well. I can't wait for my second in 3-4 weeks :)

Hey I was wondering.. what kind of supplements are you talking about?

I'm taking a TON haha, but here you go:

B5 (500mg)

Fish Oil (1,200mg)

Magnesium Malate

Evening Primrose Oil

Vitamin A (10,000iu)

Vitamin C (1,000iu)

Vitamin D (2,000iu)

Niacin (500mg)

Zinc Picolinate (50mg)

Alpha Lipoic Acid (500mg)

Hey, good job with your logs, you make them very detailed and informative!

How bad is your scarring - can you post a pic?

Thanks! :)

And I don't feel comfortable in taking a picture of my scars :/ But to describe them:

I have no ice-pick scars--they're primarily box-car types and to be honest very shallow. Unfortunately they have a red-tone/hyperpigmentation to them (the scars on my left cheek have always been this way) so I'm not sure how to get rid of the color...but perhaps things will be easier once the scars are elevated. I do, however, have a lot of shallow scars concentrated in a relatively small area.

Also, i'm not exaggerating. I know some members may say they have a lot of scarring when really it's hardly noticeable, but mine are bad. In fact, when i dyed my hair not too long ago the lady doing my hair (she had to lift up my side bangs I use to cover up my scarring in order to dye it), said that I should try proactiv. I didn't say anything, but yeah...my scarring is bad enough to be confused as acne. All in all, it's annoying enough that I'm trying a lot of methods :P

Sorry to hear it. The cheek is by far the toughest area of the face to treat.

You know, your problem is very similar to mine. I have very shallow scarring on my temples. They are ice pick, in that they look like tiny needle picks in my skin. They would be pretty much unnoticable if they were the same color as my skin, but, like yours, each one seems to be tinted a dark red color which does not extend beyond the confines of the scar. I'm actually glad I've encountered someone with the same problem as mine.

The thing is, most of the acne scars I've seen in pictures and on other people (including severe scarring) never look red; they are always the same color as the skin (with the assumption that they've had these scars for many years). Which makes me think the redness is not a feature of the scar itself, but is in fact hyperpigmintation. Also the fact that the redness of my scars was certainly more pronouced a year ago, and has faded somewhat since.

I'm going to start up TCA peeling soon (early Feburary, starting at 12.5%) to see if this gets rid of the redness. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm interested to hear what your thoughts are.

(Also, as an aside, did the TCA peels you did help out your scars at all? Or did it only improve the hyperpigmentation? I'm not really banking on the TCA to help scars but it would be a nice bonus if it did.)

When using a 1.5mm roller you should wait 6-8 weeks before your next rolling session. It takes this long for the skin to repair the damage that has been done to it. 3-4 weeks is way to short of healing time and you can cause some serious damage to the skin if you do not wait the required 6-8 weeks.

Sorry to hear it. The cheek is by far the toughest area of the face to treat.

You know, your problem is very similar to mine. I have very shallow scarring on my temples. They are ice pick, in that they look like tiny needle picks in my skin. They would be pretty much unnoticable if they were the same color as my skin, but, like yours, each one seems to be tinted a dark red color which does not extend beyond the confines of the scar. I'm actually glad I've encountered someone with the same problem as mine.

The thing is, most of the acne scars I've seen in pictures and on other people (including severe scarring) never look red; they are always the same color as the skin (with the assumption that they've had these scars for many years). Which makes me think the redness is not a feature of the scar itself, but is in fact hyperpigmintation. Also the fact that the redness of my scars was certainly more pronouced a year ago, and has faded somewhat since.

I'm going to start up TCA peeling soon (early Feburary, starting at 12.5%) to see if this gets rid of the redness. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm interested to hear what your thoughts are.

(Also, as an aside, did the TCA peels you did help out your scars at all? Or did it only improve the hyperpigmentation? I'm not really banking on the TCA to help scars but it would be a nice bonus if it did.)

I'm glad I can find someone with a similar problem to mine! And I totally agree, I see people with scars (ice-pick, round, etc.) and it matches their skin tone. Unfortunately we have the added fun & joy of hyperpigmentation :/

When I did the TCA peels on my left cheek (with the scars), it didn't do much for the scars. I believe it softened the scars, but that's about it. However, the good thing with a TCA peel on scars with hyperpigmentation is that

a) the circumference of the area of where your scars are located shrink altogether (not by too much, but as your skin gets tighter [as a result of the peel], the scar area also shrinks a bit) and;

b) hyperpigmentation lightens up a bit.

Perhaps I need more TCA peels (i have done about 3 or 4) in order to get rid of the hyperpigmentation, but otherwise not sure what else I can do :think:

DAY ONE:

My skin has a medium-deep red hue to it and looks slightly swollen. To be honest, it didn't hurt as much as I thought it would. In fact, it barely hurt. EMLA + ice are the key combination :)

I had a few blood droplets and I rolled about 5-8 times in each direction. At first I didn't apply a lot of pressure (I was scared lol), but towards the end I applied more (and thus more small blood droplets came out). Perhaps I should have applied more pressure, but in 4-6 weeks i'll do another dermaroll session and be more in control then.

Immediately after I finished I set the roller on a napkin and applied Jason's Hyper-C Serum (on a qtip) on my left cheek. I slathered on the serum like no tomorrow! Haha.

if you want that he is great log, minimum you must put photos of before, and later you do not create?

DAY ONE:

if you want that he is great log, minimum you must put photos of before, and later you do not create?

I had a hard time understanding what you mean, but from what I could decipher: If I want a great log, then I must (at the minimum) have photos of before and after?

To respond, I'm not looking for a 'great log.' I'm not going to post before/after photos so please dont ask. I will try to be as accurate and fastidious when describing my scars.

Edited by Axxith

UPDATE: My scars look x1000 better! But im pretty sure this is microswelling...even if it is like 3 days later from the initial roll. Or maybe it isn't? Haha either way my scars look and feel smoother which is great. Hopefully more rolls in the future can add to this texture and elevation :)

UPDATE: My scars look x1000 better! But im pretty sure this is microswelling...even if it is like 3 days later from the initial roll. Or maybe it isn't? Haha either way my scars look and feel smoother which is great. Hopefully more rolls in the future can add to this texture and elevation :)

lol, it probably is a bit of microswelling, but its a nice feeling to see them rise up. know so many people rave about dermarolling, so no doubt ull see some awesome results soon. if you dont mind me asking, how long are u usually red for after rolling?

i saw a post here about the supplements people are taking. i saw you're taking heaps of vitamin a and fish oil. both are effectively vitamin a, so you probably dont need both. hope this helps.

Edited by cartwheeling_monkey

lol, it probably is a bit of microswelling, but its a nice feeling to see them rise up. know so many people rave about dermarolling, so no doubt ull see some awesome results soon. if you dont mind me asking, how long are u usually red for after rolling?

i saw a post here about the supplements people are taking. i saw you're taking heaps of vitamin a and fish oil. both are effectively vitamin a, so you probably dont need both. hope this helps.

Yeah it's a nice tease my skin is doing by microswelling haha. I'll do another one in 2-3 weeks. As for redness, I would say about an evening and by the next day barely any tint. I didn't see any redness by the third day.

There is no points in rolling until 4 weeks after your last one, it takes 4-6 weeks for new collagen to form.

Is that true? Hmm yeah that makes sense I remember reading about it somewhere (don't remember where). I'll wait 4 weeks--thanks!

Axxith, where did you buy the emla cream from?

How long did you wait before starting the process?

Thank you

I bought the EMLA cream (5%) from direct chemist. I didn't purchase any dressings because I had saran wrap at home.

I waited 50 minutes and then placed ice in the area for 10 minutes to further numb the skin. In total: 1 hour