Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dotty1

What are your trigger foods? Protein, Carbs or Fat?

What are your acne trigger foods? Only vote if you KNOW your trigger food.   

14 members have voted

1. 1. If you *know* what breaks you out, please indicate:

• Protein (meat/dairy/nuts/seeds/legumes)
    • Carb (grains, etc)
    • Fat (hydrogenated oils, oils, fats, etc)
    • Sugars (Fructose, Glucose, Sucrose, etc)
    • Citrus
    • Don't know

If I am missing a category, please let me know!

My hypothesis is that the majority of people will be affected by various proteins.

Edited by Dotty1

Honestly, I don't know anymore. I don't think it's "carbs" so much as it is grains.

I haven't eaten any real grains lately and my skin is pretty clear. I have, however, eaten fruit (sugar) and protein in nuts and meat.

arent grains just complex sugars. Grains have multiple sugar molecules linked together.

If im right its like this: how more complex the sugars are how worse they are for you.

Problem is i cant leave out sugar fruit potatoes and bread. its to hard for me. So i cant find out if it really trickers my acne. I could increase it though to see what hapens but i also dont want to do that.

Edited by joris

I wonder if I am the only person on this forum who finally suspected my trigger was protein? :think:

I searched for my trigger foods for 10 years before discovering it was protein by complete accident. It was the last thing I would have ever suspected in the world.

Edited by Dotty1

The only thing I can call a 'trigger food' is the allergen that causes cysts for me, which is citrus. However, a steady diet with high GL meals, drinks, and snacks causes oily skin, hyperkeratinization and therefore acne.

I’m glad somebody else found protein as their trigger food!! For me it’s any LOW FAT protein. For whatever reason, I can only eat high fat protein sources without breaking out. So that means no low fat dairy products, no chicken or egg whites, and no protein powders/shakes/bars. But I can eat beef, hard cheeses, whole milk and whole fat yogurt. Not sure if this is an allergy specific to me or if it applies t people more broadly.