Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jjurbanus

Spontaneous Scarring Condition - AMVC - Atrophia Maculosa Varioliformis Cutis - Pitted Scars Suddenly Appearing - Not Acne

On 11/30/2020 at 5:16 AM, jmd1568 said:

Hi All,

I posted way back earlier in this thread when I was struggling with spontaneous large pours and sometimes shallow scarring and connecting pores that sometimes turn into pseudo-scars.  I wanted to check back in because I am doing much much much better.  A couple thoughts to hopefully ease some minds and help.  Disclaimer:  These are things that helped me, I'm no doctor but these are some observations and things that I did to overcome this cycle of enlarged pores, weird scars, red enflamed skin, etc.  

-If you were ever on accutane it is 100% contributing to this.  Your skin is weaker than a normal persons.  I consistently bruise easily and often I don't even know what caused my bruises.  I scar easily, my hands have all kinds of cuts from a new puppy we have and they are already scarring a little bit which I don't mind.  A different dog bit my nose a little a couple months ago and that left a light but noticeable scar too.  Its something to be mindful of, you have to protect your skin and your face.  That means sunscreen, lotion (I use cerave), and taking precautionary measures that others probably don't have to.

-I definitely have Rosacea, I would guess a lot of you do too.  Rosacea combined with being a former accutane user isn't a great combo.  What that means is when you're stressed or obsessing over your face, its going to get enflamed and red and make your pores look way worse, worse than they actually are and your face blotchy.  Sometimes those blotches are going to look like large shallow scars.  

-I know its hard, so so so hard.  But you have to stay calm, and let your skin heal.  It will but if it is constantly being irritated from anxiety, or products, or obsessing in the mirror over it it will not heal or calm down.  I used to live in the mirror, like staring at different angles in the mirror for like 2 hours a day just to try and find an angle that I liked.  Stressed and anxious to a degree that was very unhealthy and even made me question whether or not I wanted to live to be honest.  Things will get better, you just have to focus on yourself in a positive way.  Take a bath, play some video games, watch movies, take naps, drink water, eat a lot of green vegetables and fruits, drink apple cider vinegar.  Just focus on relaxation and stay out of the mirror.  If you relax for a week and don't get worked up about your skin and check a week later after you wake up I guarantee you will be like "Damn that's actually not that bad at all, it looks way better than before.  I can live with this".  It will only keep getting better from there.

-Most of my scars that were showing or highlighted during my worst days (probably about 3 years ago I made a decision to stop staring in the mirror and obsessing over my skin) are no longer visible.  Every male has pores, its normal.  Look at other peoples skin when the light shines a certain way, we all have them.  Its just a matter of how irritated our faces are that dictates how prominent they will be.  

Kind of rambling, hope this helps.  Here is basically the products I use.

-Cerave face lotion

-Vitamin C serum 1-2x a week, used to be more but now I kind of forget but use it sparingly when I remember.

-I drink about a shot of apple cider vinegar a day for gut problems that I deal with but I think what happens down there can really influence your skin, even on your face.

-I just try and eat vegetables in some capacity as much as I can, hopefully with every meal but this isn't like law.  I just try and eat greens.

-I also have a fruit smoothie every morning but that's kind of just because I like them

-I'm also on anxiety medication.  About a year ago I started a new role at work which caused me a lot of stress and I had a little flare up but the anxiety medication helped a lot.  Lexapro is what I take.  I am convinced that the best thing to do for your skin is just to stay consistent with lotions and serums and control your stress/anxiety.  

Thanks all!

-J

Thank you for your sharing and actually coming back to this thread. You're the only member to do so in the 7 years I've been on this thread. My concern is if your random scarring ever stopped though? It's impossible to know if you're not looking in the mirror. And I agree obsessing in the mirror is very bad but to be honest, for all of us here, we have to face the reality of what we look like at some point.

I agree Accutane can be a contributor as there is a long pattern of people here having gone on it or used a topical retinol. I was not of them though, which is weird.

My random scarring stopped yes.  And I still look in the mirror, don't get me wrong but in a normal pattern and not like dashing to the bathroom and staring at my face for 5 minutes at a time.  For me at least I could legitimately feel my face get hot and enflamed as I stood there observing every centimeter of my face, pores, etc.  

12 hours ago, jmd1568 said:

My random scarring stopped yes.  And I still look in the mirror, don't get me wrong but in a normal pattern and not like dashing to the bathroom and staring at my face for 5 minutes at a time.  For me at least I could legitimately feel my face get hot and enflamed as I stood there observing every centimeter of my face, pores, etc.  

How long did you suffer from the random scarring? I'm on 7 years now.

Im 14, and I have found a few scars on my face. The first scar I noticed was when I was in 5th grade and there was a scar on my forehead that grew from one little scar. Its been 4 years since. and only now am I getting scars again. How long do the scars take to fade/disappear?

Pushing this thread again. I continue to spontaneously scar, and am turning to peels from MUAC to hopefully lessen the damage. Any updates from anyone? 2021 will be my 8th year with this disease.

On 2/5/2021 at 11:29 PM, boafriend said:

Pushing this thread again. I continue to spontaneously scar, and am turning to peels from MUAC to hopefully lessen the damage. Any updates from anyone? 2021 will be my 8th year with this disease.

Hi Boafriend,

I spoke a few months back. I have the same issue and have put it down to gut issues. Leaky gut or the use of accutane that's destroyed my gut (in ur case possibly your food poisoning).

I have been trying to eat healthy and take my prebiotics but it seems to be a very slow recovery process. I'm not sure my scarring has stop as I try not to worry and look to much but I do think I see some improvement of the depth of scars on my face. They are still there but require a more harsh lighting angle to see. That's on my left side. My right side seems to be stagnant with regards to getting better but the hope is there for us all that if ppl say they can go away then we can work to get rid of them. Im going to try going on a meat free diet and taking apple cider vinegar and honey every day.

I truly believe its mostly down to your gut. Also, jmd is right when he says dont worry about it as I also believe it makes it 

39 minutes ago, Wingman1 said:

Hi Boafriend,

I spoke a few months back. I have the same issue and have put it down to gut issues. Leaky gut or the use of accutane that's destroyed my gut (in ur case possibly your food poisoning).

I have been trying to eat healthy and take my prebiotics but it seems to be a very slow recovery process. I'm not sure my scarring has stop as I try not to worry and look to much but I do think I see some improvement of the depth of scars on my face. They are still there but require a more harsh lighting angle to see. That's on my left side. My right side seems to be stagnant with regards to getting better but the hope is there for us all that if ppl say they can go away then we can work to get rid of them. Im going to try going on a meat free diet and taking apple cider vinegar and honey every day.

I truly believe its mostly down to your gut. Also, jmd is right when he says dont worry about it as I also believe it makes it 

Someone on Reddit PM-ed me in response to my thread about this, and he has the exact same issues as me, even down to the neurological oddities. We went through some of our old bloodwork and found our TSH levels were always on the lower end throughout the years. But docs don’t do shit because the measurement, altho low, is within their range. This guy says he believes he and I both have hyperthyroidism, which apparently can also cause loss and destruction of collagen in the skin.

The gut thing I have heard but it’s just hard to get help. And I disagree with “not worrying” about AMVC — it is your damn face, deteriorating and worsening over time. I don’t know how one can not worry about it and just ignore it or not face the reality of it.

6 hours ago, boafriend said:

Someone on Reddit PM-ed me in response to my thread about this, and he has the exact same issues as me, even down to the neurological oddities. We went through some of our old bloodwork and found our TSH levels were always on the lower end throughout the years. But docs don’t do shit because the measurement, altho low, is within their range. This guy says he believes he and I both have hyperthyroidism, which apparently can also cause loss and destruction of collagen in the skin.

The gut thing I have heard but it’s just hard to get help. And I disagree with “not worrying” about AMVC — it is your damn face, deteriorating and worsening over time. I don’t know how one can not worry about it and just ignore it or not face the reality of it.

Yea, its very difficult to just forget but worrying and having it effect your entire life is not healthy. Not for you mentally or your skin so you end up in a vicious cycle.

At the end of the day your skin doesn't define who you are, it doesn't make you ugly or less attractive as people who look at you most likely wont even notice. I can remember when this all started I though my cousin had great skin then when I started looking, cause I was paranoid, I noticed that he 2 has small open pores n small acne marks that I just never noticed before because I wasn't looking for it. You posted a picture a few months back and tbh your skin looks pretty good to me. Maybe not to you but I promise it's not as bad adsyou think. People today are constantly looking at beautiful ppl with perfect skin, perfect waist, perfect teeth on tv and social media but it's all bullshit man. 

Try and snap out of your cycle of looking in the mirror constantly, worrying, eat healthy, get good sleep, drink plenty water and entertain yourself and you're skin will respond.

1 minute ago, Wingman1 said:

Yea, its very difficult to just forget but worrying and having it effect your entire life is not healthy. Not for you mentally or your skin so you end up in a vicious cycle.

At the end of the day your skin doesn't define who you are, it doesn't make you ugly or less attractive as people who look at you most likely wont even notice. I can remember when this all started I though my cousin had great skin then when I started looking, cause I was paranoid, I noticed that he 2 has small open pores n small acne marks that I just never noticed before because I wasn't looking for it. You posted a picture a few months back and tbh your skin looks pretty good to me. Maybe not to you but I promise it's not as bad adsyou think. People today are constantly looking at beautiful ppl with perfect skin, perfect waist, perfect teeth on tv and social media but it's all bullshit man. 

Try and snap out of your cycle of looking in the mirror constantly, worrying, eat healthy, get good sleep, drink plenty water and entertain yourself and you're skin will respond.

I appreciate your positivity, but this is different for everyone. I care about my looks and always have. I feel like a monster. I have lost all confidence.

12 minutes ago, boafriend said:

I appreciate your positivity, but this is different for everyone. I care about my looks and always have. I feel like a monster. I have lost all confidence.

Dude..... pull yourself together.  Your not a monster. I have seen your skin. ITS NOT THAT BAD.

If it was that bad I wouldn't say anything. I promise bro your seeing things that are worse than you think. 

4 hours ago, Wingman1 said:

Dude..... pull yourself together.  Your not a monster. I have seen your skin. ITS NOT THAT BAD.

If it was that bad I wouldn't say anything. I promise bro your seeing things that are worse than you think. 

I don't know how you can be so positive about something this destructive. THIS is not "not that bad."

IMG_3897_1_25 copy.jpg

11 hours ago, boafriend said:

This guy says he believes he and I both have hyperthyroidism, which apparently can also cause loss and destruction of collagen in the skin.

Just wanna point out, from all the papers written on the subject of AMVC, the culprit lies with elastin not collagen.

5 hours ago, boafriend said:

I don't know how you can be so positive about something this destructive. THIS is not "not that bad."

IMG_3897_1_25 copy.jpg

Dude its not as bad as you think it is. Honestly, you are far from being a monster.  

I can tell you are using harsh lighting but you can make anyone's skin look uneven with it. 

I swear bro you need to grab your balls n give them a shake.  Im not saying stop caring about your skin but DONT LET IT TAKE OVER YOUR LIFE. Its not bad enough for that.