Notifications
Clear all

Spontaneous Scarring Condition - AMVC - Atrophia Maculosa Varioliformis Cutis - Pitted Scars Suddenly Appearing - Not Acne

MemberMember
(@jjurbanus)

Posted : 08/24/2005 8:13 pm

I was wondering if anybody else has noticed pitted scars just suddenly appearing, especially on the cheeks, with no apparent cause (no inflammation or anything from a pimple). A google search on "spontaneous scarring" brings up Atrophia Maculosa Varioliformis Cutis (AMVC), supposedly a very rare condition in which this happens. I've noticed in my case, as well as others in medical case reports, that noninflammatory comedones seem to be associated with AMVC, but do NOT directly cause the scarring. I've had a hunch both might actually be sometimes caused by a "stealth virus," and I am trying Aldara cream on my face, wich is used to treat various skin viruses.

Just curious if anyone else has been dumbfounded by spontaneous scarring, or if I really am extremely unlucky.

MemberMember
(@jjurbanus)

Posted : 08/24/2005 8:28 pm

I was wondering if anybody else has noticed pitted scars just suddenly appearing, especially on the cheeks, with no apparent cause (no inflammation or anything from a pimple). A google search on "spontaneous scarring" brings up Atrophia Maculosa Varioliformis Cutis (AMVC), supposedly a very rare condition in which this happens. I've noticed in my case, as well as others in medical case reports, that noninflammatory comedones seem to be associated with AMVC, but do NOT directly cause the scarring. I've had a hunch both might actually be sometimes caused by a "stealth virus," and I am trying Aldara cream on my face, wich is used to treat various skin viruses.

Just curious if anyone else has been dumbfounded by spontaneous scarring, or if I really am extremely unlucky.

MemberMember
(@narcissus)

Posted : 08/29/2005 10:11 pm

I've got something like this happening on the sides of my face. I'm not sure the cause but it's as if my skin 'collapsed' or something. They aren't very deep or obvious though. I've never broken out on my sides then (although I have since, which have left a few scars) and I've never had chicken pox either. Definitely a curiosity.

MemberMember
(@dr-t3rran)

Posted : 08/30/2005 10:45 am

[ive never had acne on my left chick. and although i have pretty big scare there.. maybe its from chicken pox?

MemberMember
(@zxc)

Posted : 09/01/2005 8:30 am

I have also gotten very small (but frustrating anyway) spontaneous scars on the cheeks. I am almost completely certain, that there has not been any pimples at those places....It is very frustrating...But I hope to be able to remove them with some acids one time, because most of them are not very deep.

MemberMember
(@jjurbanus)

Posted : 09/04/2005 6:14 pm

Well, maybe this condition ain't quite as rare as the literature says (especially if the scars are easily misdiagnosed as acne scars) It's just so funny how unexplainable these shallow spontaneously forming scars are. The Aldera didn't do anything, but if I find anything that helps, I'll be sure to post it.

MemberMember
(@zxc)

Posted : 09/08/2005 12:36 pm

On the other hand the scars could have been there all the time - perhaps one just sees them when he gets more aware of his looks and cannot understand where they came from...

But I feel the same way...it seems like they came from nowhere! very depressing!

MemberMember
(@zxc)

Posted : 09/08/2005 12:43 pm

WHAT!

I have scars on both my temples looking exactly like picture 3 on this site:

http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic727.htm

I do not understand it. Do I suffer from "Atrophia Maculosa Varioliformis Cutis" ??

MemberMember
(@jenya)

Posted : 09/09/2005 2:33 pm

Well, it says it is extremely rare and 11 cases have been reported. Clogged pores or tiny whitehead can lead to scarred pores.

Have you been using CP or Super Cop2x? If the read the super cop2x thread, a few people report sudden formation of scars.

Or have you been doing anything different?

MemberMember
(@mrjones)

Posted : 09/09/2005 2:53 pm

i have the same thing, my derm said it was still acne, scars seem to come up from underneath skin, i can see them start to form, sometimes they a little bit more red than the rest of my skin, so maybe it is acne, this might be differnt than what you are explaining, but i develop scars with no pimples, it is like the reverse, instead of coming out from the skin it leaves a depression slowly over days leaving a bigger scar. if you find a cure let me know

MemberMember
(@suzannehopes)

Posted : 09/10/2005 2:12 am

MemberMember
(@zxc)

Posted : 09/10/2005 5:49 pm

Well, it says it is extremely rare and 11 cases have been reported. Clogged pores or tiny whitehead can lead to scarred pores.

MemberMember
(@curious)

Posted : 09/10/2005 6:01 pm

Yes, I have quite a few scarred pores from this very thing. In fact, I never had teribble acne, so as a result most of my scarring is these scarred pores (with a few smaller pits from actual pimples). I have always had clogged pores and even the use of Retin-A doesn't unclog some of them.

MemberMember
(@jjurbanus)

Posted : 09/10/2005 6:30 pm

Although smaller pore like scars may also result from Atrophia Maculosa Varioliformis Cutis (crappy name), it usually causes larger spontaneously forming scars as well. I've attached two pictures directly from AMVC case reports, which show the many larger depressions that typically result. One case study also hypothesized that the condition is highly under reported, partly because it's so unbelievable, partly because it's so difficult to distinquish from acne scarring, and partly because nothing much is accomplished by reporting it.

It's a very frustrating condition, having scars form for no reason and getting deeper and deeper over time. I guess the only good thing is the scars usually never get really deep, so should be treatable. Although nodoubt, did you say you had scars that formed for no apparent reason that were unsucessfully treated with an erbium laser? I'm probably going to try the TCA cross method first. But if I ever do have a laser a dermabrasion resurfacing, I'll definetely post-treat myself with either "Burn Stuff" or "Cut Stuff," respectively. These are new products available at some drugstores that have a radically new kind of chemistry for treating burns and cuts, and from my experience it's incredible (very fast healing, no scarring).

post-28058-1126394077_thumb.jpg

post-28058-1126394077_thumb.jpg

MemberMember
(@suzannehopes)

Posted : 09/11/2005 3:52 am

Although smaller pore like scars may also result from Atrophia Maculosa Varioliformis Cutis (crappy name), it usually causes larger spontaneously forming scars as well. I've attached two pictures directly from AMVC case reports, which show the many larger depressions that typically result. One case study also hypothesized that the condition is highly under reported, partly because it's so unbelievable, partly because it's so difficult to distinquish from acne scarring, and partly because nothing much is accomplished by reporting it.

It's a very frustrating condition, having scars form for no reason and getting deeper and deeper over time. I guess the only good thing is the scars usually never get really deep, so should be treatable. Although nodoubt, did you say you had scars that formed for no apparent reason that were unsucessfully treated with an erbium laser? I'm probably going to try the TCA cross method first. But if I ever do have a laser a dermabrasion resurfacing, I'll definetely post-treat myself with either "Burn Stuff" or "Cut Stuff," respectively. These are new products available at some drugstores that have a radically new kind of chemistry for treating burns and cuts, and from my experience it's incredible (very fast healing, no scarring).

MemberMember
(@curious)

Posted : 09/11/2005 3:14 pm

Speaking of this, although I think this disorder is rare and I probably don't have it, I'm not sure where some of my scars come from. I think for the most part this is because when I was younger I didn't pay much attention to my skin and didn't treat it well. Now I am much more self-aware. But, a few years back, I did have a giant pimple that left a small pit. But, I noticed that right next to it was another pit almost the same time after the pimple healed. I am pretty confident this wasn't there before, but I guess it's possible it was? Just wondering if anyone thinks this happened to them. Can't wait to get them punched! Was scheduled to go to Dr. Y in Nov., but I guess I'll have to wait some more!

MemberMember
(@cc123)

Posted : 10/06/2005 1:43 pm

I have had "spontaneous" scars forms and I thought I was the only one!! My friends & family thought I had gone crazy and the derms I asked about it did as well. One really wierd incident that was diagnosed as something different by 5 diff. doctors - occurred when I woke up, washed my face and on my right side (to the right of my cheeks) where I never break out, the skin felt rough and wierd. I looked in the mirror and it looked like a long patch of raised skin that had small scars all over it. It almost looked like I had, had a ton of whiteheads there. Anyways, it did eventually get a little better but it has never dissapeared.

Not one doctor could offer me any explanation and probably all thought I was crazy. The thing is when you're so consious of your skin you know what was there before and what was not. I could even feel a difference in texture that I would have noticed - and it litterally happened over night.

MemberMember
(@djt)

Posted : 10/07/2005 1:17 am

I think you are more prone to scarring if you use retinoids, because I didn't scar until I started using retin-a micro.

MemberMember
(@zxc)

Posted : 10/07/2005 9:54 am

MemberMember
(@lightgirl)

Posted : 10/07/2005 12:03 pm

I was wondering if anybody else has noticed pitted scars just suddenly appearing, especially on the cheeks, with no apparent cause (no inflammation or anything from a pimple).AA A google search on "spontaneous scarring" brings up Atrophia Maculosa Varioliformis Cutis (AMVC), supposedly a very rare condition in which this happens.AA I've noticed in my case, as well as others in medical case reports, that noninflammatory comedones seem to be associated with AMVC, but do NOT directly cause the scarring.AA I've had a hunch both might actually be sometimes caused by a "stealth virus," and I am trying Aldara cream on my face, wich is used to treat various skin viruses.

jjurbanus...I recieved the same and worse scarring from an Erbium laser procedure...have you had any laser procedures past or present?

MemberMember
(@shirl)

Posted : 10/10/2005 5:42 pm

[Removed]

MemberMember
(@jjurbanus)

Posted : 10/12/2005 6:49 pm

I want to stress that even though this condition (AMVC) is under reported, it's still very rare. Almost everybody has some kind of scar(s) on their face, and often do not know what they're from. But what typifies AMVC is the continual appearance of new unexplainable depression scars over a peroid of months to years. What results are concentrated areas of the face that become riddled with "pot holes" of various shapes and sizes. The pot holes continue to deepen up to a certain depth, past which they become stable.

I also mentioned that it appears noninflammatory comedones are often present in someone with AMVC, and in my case the two (comedones and scarring) seemed to spread together to different areas of my face shortly after an area changed in sheen (reflected light differently). But in AMVC, the scarring appears for no reason, and in my case the scars would always appear in a different place, sometimes centimeters away, from any comedones. If a scar forms exactly where a comedone was, even if it was noninflammatory, then you don't have AMVC. It's well known that even non-inflammatory comedones can cause small scars.

If you are one of the rare people who still believes they have AMVC, at least you're not completely alone. If you've noticed any patterns associated with it, such as something you did or that occured before its onset, please mention it. Thanks!

MemberMember
(@laura123)

Posted : 10/15/2005 11:27 am

I think people forget the amount of times you hurt yourself as a child....my lil bro has baby smooth skin (he is 13) but if you look closely he has quite a few small scars not pits but longer and thinner. Before i had acne i had a few chicken pox scars on my face and definately a few from falling over etc you just don't notice them until you have acne and start looking for scars!

MemberMember
(@ela)

Posted : 12/01/2006 3:56 pm

I was diagnosed with Atrophia Maculosa Varioliformis Cutis last week. If anyone has the same skin condition I would appreciate any information that you might have with regard to its evolution. I freaked out when I searched for it on the web.

MemberMember
(@the-charmed-1)

Posted : 12/01/2006 4:37 pm

Sorry about your conditon, i tried looking it up and it seems to be really rare. Maybe you should try Healthboards.com? or similar?