Notifications
Clear all

5 months of female hormonal acne under control w/ diet & vit.

MemberMember
(@redmarkedgirl)

Posted : 01/24/2010 10:24 am

I've had recurring female hormonal acne since age 15 & it really got worse after I stopped the birth control pills at age 26. After trying the traditional methods (derm's creams, pills, pharma antibiotics,etc), I decided to pursue the path of what's causing this in my body & how to fix it with diet/lifestyle changes and how to do it safely. I refused to experiment with mega supplements or anything that could endanger my body. I just had to figure it out for myself, but it took many years. I'm now 34 & for the past 5 months, I've been 98% acne free*.

What I tried in the past with strict discipline: sugar-free diet (2-3 mths), elimination diet (testing dairy, wheat, sugar, corn) for 15 mths, dairy-free (3 mths) with no real results in controlling pimples.

I supplemented my diet for years with 2 tsp ground flax seeds, avocados, walnuts, fish oil pills (carlson's) daily, with low dairy, plenty of water, blah blah blah - aren't I special. haha ( :

It didn't do a thing to prevent acne.

I had 2 kids & at least for me, breastfeeding affected my hormones so that my acne was under control. Once I weaned them & my period returned, guess what - the acne came back - ugh!!!

This summer, on acne.org, I saw a post about the "Clear Skin Diet" book by Dr. Logan & Dr. Treloar. I skimmed the book & then made an appt to see Dr. Treloar (she's in my area - great luck). We discussed my diet; turned out I ate too many carbs, including processed cereal & crackers & not enough vegetables for snacks.

She gave me a cheat sheet of vitamins that have helped her patients, & one was to apply topical Vitamin B-3 (niacinamide) daily to my face. It cost $8-10 for a 2 mth supply & she told me it's a safe concentration & is in many cosmetics products.

I also switched from eating processed cereal+berries+walnuts daily to this powerhouse breakfast each a.m. :

Slow cooked oatmeal + scoop of dried greens powder + a tbsp. of powdered brewer's yeast + berries + walnuts + rice dream milk. (this meal has a lot of naturally occurring b complex vitamins, antioxidants, calcium, good fats, etc). also take 2 carlsons omega gem fish oil, multivitamin, and probiotic. It's like my daily insurance that I get enough nutrition at breakfast & then lunch & dinner is pretty healthy but not strict (grains/chicken or turkey/vegetables/cheese/etc).

I'm trying to eat more vegetables & I spray my face with the "Naturally Clear" brand Vit. B-3 morning & night, and guess what? My face stopped breaking out, is pretty soft, and supposedly, B-3 helps to diminish redness from scars. (I don't even use moisturizer anymore!) My acne scars are there, but do seem to be fading.

So my theory is that my female body (& others) were deficient in B complex vitamins, causing acne & pms. An OBGYN told me years ago when I had terrible PMS & cramps that females should supplement with b-complex during their period. Now, I have zero cramps & much less mood swings & a predictable cycle.

I avoid alcohol, caffeine, excess sugar/carbs before & during my period. I still only drink rice milk, but I do occasionally eat cheese. I don't eat red meat and try to eat more vegetables & fruit & am trying to minimize eating boxed processed food (crackers, grains, etc). Also trying to have more probiotics in my diet (sauerkraut, kombucha, kefir).

It's LIBERATING to not be on a strict elimination diet, but a smart diet hoping to control acne & also not be on medications which I feel mask what acne is trying to tell you: that something is not quite right inside your body, whatever it is.

It is my sincere hope that my story helps someone, especially other women who are suffering from hormonal acne out there. I kept thinking since this fall that I had to get on here & shout from the top of the mountain about my results, but I wanted to wait until I was really convinced that it's not a fluke & my acne was really under control.

Anna

*(I got 1 nasty big pimple after eating too many crisco-filled cookies & brownies around the holidays, proving that I really can't let go & eat totally crappy food, or else it will show up!)

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 01/24/2010 3:59 pm

Congrats. This diet actually seems doable and not crazy. I have thought of trying niacinamide cream myself.

MemberMember
(@brokeninside)

Posted : 01/26/2010 6:27 pm

Congrats on your success.

I have just had some blood tests for a complete check on my endocrine system, check my hormones and my blood sugar. I hope they find something.

So did your acne only occur during your period?

How much Vitamin B do you take?

I have been on a good diet and vitamins for a month combined with exercise and its been ok until today as i have a nasty spot forming on my upper check. I just dont know what to do sometimes.

MemberMember
(@herafmms)

Posted : 01/16/2014 6:07 pm

I realize you posted this a while ago, but either way I wanted to thank you for posting it! Particularly after you have had an extended amount of time on this regimen. I've been trying to find any useful info about any b vitamins, and I mostly find things posted by men who haven't had much luck with them. Alas, as a woman with hormonal acne, it was of little use to me. So again, thank you for posting what worked for you!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/17/2014 8:07 am

see, this illustrated perfectly a phenomena I see all the time here. Avoiding high glycemic meals and drinks is absolutely basic for acne and everything else to do with your health. This is det change number one. You aren't eating healthy if you don't do this. Period.

Yet I see all the time people claiming they tried every kind of diet and/ or ate healthy for years and it never helped their acne, therefore diet doesnt affect their acne. (or antone elses acccording to many). And then they usually list unhealthy examples of the things they tried as. their proof.

MemberMember
(@youknow1)

Posted : 01/17/2014 8:28 am

see, this illustrated perfectly a phenomena I see all the time here. Avoiding high glycemic meals and drinks is absolutely basic for acne and everything else to do with your health. This is det change number one. You aren't eating healthy if you don't do this. Period.

Yet I see all the time people claiming they tried every kind of diet and/ or ate healthy for years and it never helped their acne, therefore diet doesnt affect their acne. (or antone elses acccording to many). And then they usually list unhealthy examples of the things they tried as. their proof.

This is false information. Coca cola is truly a miracle product, it is loaded with vitamins and minerals and cures acne and obesity. Also sand paper exfoliation every night and boiling water face wash is a must.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/17/2014 10:06 am

This is false information. Coca cola is truly a miracle product, it is loaded with vitamins and minerals and cures acne and obesity. Also sand paper exfoliation every night and boiling water face wash is a must.

Again. I have to ask. Are you 12? Does your mother know you are here?

MemberMember
(@missc1990)

Posted : 01/17/2014 12:01 pm

Not everyone could do such a diet. Whole grain bread is a cheap food to eat. Things that don't contain as many carbs are much more expensive and they take longer time to prepare. Some of us need to work 11 hours a day... Also, some people are underweight (like myself) and every slight change is making them lose weight. You have to eat a shit load of stuff to have your 2000 calorie intake when you leave out all the carbs.

MemberMember
(@youknow1)

Posted : 01/17/2014 1:18 pm

You are one mean old lady, always hatin..

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/18/2014 9:11 am

Not everyone could do such a diet. Whole grain bread is a cheap food to eat. Things that don't contain as many carbs are much more expensive and they take longer time to prepare. Some of us need to work 11 hours a day... Also, some people are underweight (like myself) and every slight change is making them lose weight. You have to eat a shit load of stuff to have your 2000 calorie intake when you leave out all the carbs.

And besides, they're also talking about an overall moderate calorie intake. If I do that, I will end up in the hospital with a doctor asking me why the hell I would starve myself until I would weight 39 kg.

But that said, I don't wanna encourage anyone to just eat a shitload of crap. If it's even to mention 'crap', I only eat whole grain bread. All the other bad players are out. Should I not have at least seen some improvement..?

I didn't say to leave out carbs. Sad to avoid high glycemic impacting meals, drinks, snacks. And I said nothing about calories. Besides when you stop spending money on bottled drinks i think you can afford some sweet potatoes.

You are one mean old lady, always hatin..

You are proving you are a juvenile with every post.

MemberMember
(@missc1990)

Posted : 01/18/2014 9:40 am

I don't ever drink bottled drinks... or any other refined sugar.... Just saying

And besides, they're also talking about an overall moderate calorie intake. If I do that, I will end up in the hospital with a doctor asking me why the hell I would starve myself until I would weight 39 kg.

But that said, I don't wanna encourage anyone to just eat a shitload of crap. If it's even to mention 'crap', I only eat whole grain bread. All the other bad players are out. Should I not have at least seen some improvement..?