Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
davidst

dents in skin and BP?

is there any relation to getting small little indents in your skin and using the bp? since ive been on it.. ive grown two small indents on the top of my forehead

This scares the crapp out of me... so many people are saying that.

I really hope it doesn't have any correlation to the BP cuz my skin hasn't scarred in the past, so if it does start scarring I might be too scared to continue using the BP.

well if people are saying that, then its probably true

im 20 and never had a dent on my face. been doing the bp thing for a little over 2 months now and ive gotten 2

here's what I've noticed:

When I used benzoyl peroxide about a year ago, i could see 2 small dents in my forehead that were caused by chicken pox years ago. When I didn't use the bp, I couldn't see them. Now that I'm on the regimen, I see them again.

I think the BP could be peeling off dead skin that hides these dents, not actually CAUSING them.

If it's of any consolidation, the exfoliation effect that BP has on your skin might not only reveal the indents, but make them fade away, too.

That, however, may take some time. Several months to a year, even.

I used proactiv for EVER - about 8 to 9 years.. i have deep scars all over my face and I believe its due to the lack of moisture I was giving my skin along with the HORRIBLE drying that the BP was causing... be careful with BP seriously - i had people tell me that for years, it bleaches your towels, it does this it does that... i never listened. I am a strong believer the BP gave me these scars.

There's no scientific study on this as far as I know, and because of this, I left the 1% uncertaintity chance.

My knowledge is based on two things: the chemical structure of BP itself, and the fact that according to your posts, the dents are limited to your forehead. If you follow the Regimen as it is laid out, you spread BP to the whole facial area evenly. If BP was the source of your dents, why aren't you dented all over the place?

As for the chemical structure, since BP is a chemical that contains both hydrogen and a peroxide bond, it may cause spot corrosion (a dent) on the skin if a high enough concentration (over 50%) is spread to a small, defined area. However, I do not believe that anyone of us is using such a strong concentration to treat their acne, as it would be hazardous to one's health.

Some forum posters have found AHA to help with smoothening out the scars/dents or red areas left behind after acne bacteria has subsided. Perhaps this may help you with the dents, too? Bear in mind that you should stay on the Regimen for at least one month before introducing new concepts.

Another thing you might consider is drinking a 2-3 litres of water, plain straight, every day. Dehydration of the skin is known to cause visible dents. And BP does dehydrate your skin.

I've never experienced any dents but my friend who was on the regimen noticed 3 chicken pox scars surface after using it for about a month. So yes I think it just makes them more noticeable, not causes them.

My knowledge is based on two things: the chemical structure of BP itself, and the fact that according to your posts, the dents are limited to your forehead. If you follow the Regimen as it is laid out, you spread BP to the whole facial area evenly. If BP was the source of your dents, why aren't you dented all over the place?

take a pin, prick it in your heal on your foot (left or right, your decision) then take another pin, and prick it on your forehead, tell me which hurts more....

skin is different on various parts of the body.

I have noticed after a few months on the regimen that I did actually have small scars where I was breaking out before. I didn't notice them before maybe because the acne was camouflaging them, or maybe the bp makes it more noticeable. I am almost certain that the bp hasn't caused the dents though. I am going to try the AHA to see if it helps smooth out my skn a bit. But at least the acne is 99% gone now!

take a pin, prick it in your heal on your foot (left or right, your decision) then take another pin, and prick it on your forehead, tell me which hurts more....

skin is different on various parts of the body.

I do believe, and many dermatologists agree with me, that the structure and function of the skin that encompasses the facial area is pretty much homogenous. The possible variance that is has is not, in my opinion, enough to explain why the OP does not have dents elsewhere on the face, if BP was considered the primary cause of them.

Thus I still stand behind my opinion. BP does not cause dents, but due to its exfoliating effect, may make existing dents more visible, or even uncover ones that you were not aware of.

Edited by AKeshi

well, akeshi is right as far as the scar thing goes; ive only gotten these dents on my forehead. as of now

when i go to bed, i can sorta feel something going on in my forehead. i think one of my dents is even bigger now. akeshi, is there anything i can be doing to stop this? should i drop the bp all together? do you think ill get dents on the rest of my face, not just my forehead?

sorry for all these questions..

also ake, i read the faq and it said wrinkles as a result from bp are from dryness will go away. but is possible the bp teared away at my skin and this forehead line wrinkle is permanent?

when i go to bed, i can sorta feel something going on in my forehead. i think one of my dents is even bigger now. akeshi, is there anything i can be doing to stop this? should i drop the bp all together? do you think ill get dents on the rest of my face, not just my forehead?

Just endure it for now.

Like discussed before, BP's exfoliating effect may reveal existing scars, pimples or things you didn't even know you had. I'm now six weeks into the regimen, and I've seen old chicken pox scars revealing on my cheeks. I talked to my parents about it, and they showed a picture of me when I had chicken pox, all those years ago. I was quite... colourful back then. I'm surprised that I managed to get away with just the few scars that I'm seeing now.

Rest assured, the dents should fade away, at least partially. After several months of the Regimen (three or more), if they still persist, then considering AHA or similar treatment is an option to further fade them away.

Patience. Patience and strict discipline. Those are the elements which will take you through it.

also ake, i read the faq and it said wrinkles as a result from bp are from dryness will go away. but is possible the bp teared away at my skin and this forehead line wrinkle is permanent?

Drink 2-3 litres of water each day (evenly throughout the day), and moisturize properly. This will help reduce the side-effects caused by the drying effect of BP. The wrinkle should smoothen itself out eventually. At least that's what happened to my "dryness wrinkles". They might look scary at first, but it's part of the procedure.

Edited by AKeshi

Rest assured, the dents should fade away, at least partially. After several months of the Regimen (three or more)

so i should still put bp over my dents? and how do they fade away? i thought they were permanent?

so i should still put bp over my dents? and how do they fade away? i thought they were permanent?

1) Yes, you should still put BP over the dents. Follow the normal treatment procedure.

2) The fading occurs when BP exfoliates the skin at the very edges of the dents, making them less obvious. A dent is only a dent if its edges have a stark contrast with the rest of the skin.

3) See above. The original cause of the dents is still unknown, so from a strict technical perspective, they might be permanent, although continous treatment may make them less visible.

Remember that a smooth, dentless, spotless and markless facial skin is something you only see in altered photographs or on people who use make-up. Human skin is, by nature, uneven.

so, this wrinkle isnt going away and im starting to think its permanent. its one of those forehead ones. whats this jababa oil i hear about? doesnt oil = pimples?

exfoliating the skin, can someone explain this to me? are you peeling away skin when you do this? and that means you can reveal scars?

Salicylic Acid exfoliates, right?

I doubt BP "reveals" scars....I think once your lesion (from acne or chicken pox or whatever) goes down...that area slowly starts to heal and during that time that area is very weak. BP completely weakend my skin even more so and the "recovering" areas just collapsed and a dent was formed. So far its been several months and the dents are still there :(.......Idk if they will ever go away but because of what I noticed i have quit the use of BP