Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Survivor540

I am so frustrated. I don't understand what is causing my acne.

So, I have had acne for about three years now and it has cycled from almost clear to moderate all the while, and I have a bigger problem with hyperpigmentation/inflammation rather than bumps (though in this post I am specifically complaining about my bumps, my other problems would be a WHOLE other rant hehehe)

Anyway, I have tried a lot of popular internal remedies (zinc, omega 3, olive leaf, dietary changes, herbs like echinacea and burdock and many others, and the list goes on) but absolutely none of them have shown any results. I feel like my skin just isn't affected by internal problems.

As for topical care I am obsessed with my hygiene and keep up with my skin as gently as I can since I am SOO hyper-sensitive (aloe vera even irritates me.... UGH). So right now all I am doing is washing every night (morning and night is TOO much for my skin) with Alba Botanica Sea Mineral Cleansing Gel and then moisturizing in the morning with Aveeno Positively Radiant Moisturizer. Occasionally I'll scrub at night with olive oil and sea salt.

What could be causing my acne? Could it be related to an internal problem? Could I be doing something wrong topically?

EDIT: I would also like to add that right now I am taking Fish Oil Pills (3 a day) and Flaxseed Oil Pills (3 a day). I was reading some flaxseed reviews and some people have broken out from that. Could THIS be the cause?? My nona had always told me flax cured skin problems. Of course, she wasn't talking about supplements, in Sicily when someone had a skin problem you would boil flaxseeds into a paste and put that on until the problem heals. lol but Im digressing right now. Sorry

Edited by Jackie_Jewels

I have learned that it all appears to be related to digestion. You can be taking 40 bottles of supplements, but if your digestion is off then the vitamins won't have an effect.

1. Eliminate dairy for 2-3 weeks. See if you have any results. Most people find this was their trigger.

2. Eliminate gluten for 2 months. MANY people find this was the source of their problem.

3. Try HCl and medical-grade enzymes (read LiliVG's post).

So I have tried the pill and it didnt work for me. In fact, it caused me to be anemic and only made my skin worse.

In regards to my dietary changes here is everything I have done. Note, when I make a dietary change I will test it for one month, so all of these had 4 weeks of trial:

-Completely Elimnating Dairy

-Eliminating coffee, chocolate, and all baked goods (which admittedly I dont eat very much of anyway)

-Overloading myself with omega 3 foods (my dad is a fisherman so its not that different from my regular diet)

-Completely stopping eating all nuts (I used to have a physical addiction to peanut butter and could eat a jar in two days if somebody let me, so this was hard and I still havent eaten any nuts for five months)

-Not eating chicken or red meat

-Not eating bread or pasta (HARD!!! My family, who are VERY proud sicilians, almost disowned me for a month, but luckily this had no effect on my skin)

Those are all of the dietary changes I can think of off the top of my head.

So I have tried the pill and it didnt work for me. In fact, it caused me to be anemic and only made my skin worse.

In regards to my dietary changes here is everything I have done. Note, when I make a dietary change I will test it for one month, so all of these had 4 weeks of trial:

-Eliminating coffee, chocolate, and all baked goods (which admittedly I dont eat very much of anyway)

-Overloading myself with omega 3 foods (my dad is a fisherman so its not that different from my regular diet)

-Completely stopping eating all nuts (I used to have a physical addiction to peanut butter and could eat a jar in two days if somebody let me, so this was hard and I still havent eaten any nuts for five months)

-Not eating bread or pasta (HARD!!! My family, who are VERY proud sicilians, almost disowned me for a month, but luckily this had no effect on my skin)

What I find of many people who have claimed "dietary changes" don't work for them have simply not tried the correct changes. I would go into an anti-candida or paleo diet for around 2 months and see how it goes. I understand that this might not be possible because of your sicilian background.

It is well known that birth control pills contribute to candida infections. Have you ever taken antibiotics?

it could be the Fish Oil Pills or Flaxseed Oil Pills. i would cut them out and see if it makes a difference. people can breakout or develop oily skin from fish oil

These oils are prone to oxidation, likely rancid, and can cause free radical damage. they need to be refrigerated and do not last long. pills might be better cause they aren't exposed to oxygen but you don't know how long they've been sitting around and if they were kept at room temperature or refrigerated through manufacturing and shipping.

i stopped taking fish oils/cod liver oils b/c of the high concentration of poly unsaturated fatty acids.

saturated fats are least likely to go rancid

you could break open a capsule, smell the oils and determine freshness that way.

i wouldn't take flax seed oil b/c it contains plant based estrogens-phyto-estrogens that mimic estrogen/alter estrogen metabolism.

fresh fish is best. you could also try eating less omega 3 foods and less poly unsaturated fatty acids.

i recommend red meat for zinc and lysine. chicken breast and red meat are less likely to cause acne

Edited by Chris-6

Seriously? EFA's in Omega 3 is recommended by health professionals and is crucial for well being. Everything I'm reading is contra-indicative to everything I've learned *faints*

You should take everything you read here with a grain of salt. Everyone tries to help to the best of their abilities but 99% of us are not experts nor trained to be giving any kind of information. EFA's ARE supposed to be good.

Seriously? EFA's in Omega 3 is recommended by health professionals and is crucial for well being. Everything I'm reading is contra-indicative to everything I've learned *faints*

I don't like your avatar. :)it's a complete failure!

Edited by EddieE

I'm sure the fellow homosexuals don't mind it at all ;]

Umm okk...

As for omega 3 from either fish or flax it will have an adverse affect if:

1. The oil/pill is rancid

2. If it is not absorbed and converted properly (you need kefir, lecithin, coconut oil, zinc, magnesium, vitaminc, drunk with a fatty drink, followed by a fatty meal)

3. Omega 3 must be balanced with omega 6 and 9. This is why some people who just dose fish oil dont see results and get nailed for it later down the track.

Fish oil or any other source of omega 3 is beneficial for its anti-inflammatory effect and aid in the production of prostaglandins. Its the prostaglandins that are most helpful for us because of their ability to balance hormones and reduce and balance sebum production. Hope this clears some of the confusion up. :angel:

Edited by AussieSmile

I've changed my avatar a few times since joining the site. I don't think I ever referred to myself as a pop addict though, I did drink alot of pop but kicking it has been easy.

Do paleo diet. No grains, no dairy (although IMO cheese is ok).

If your family eats a lot of bread and pasta though, that is going to be your biggest hurdle.

I have learned that it all appears to be related to digestion.

It is not ALL related to digestion. However, if you have digestion issues, other things you try, supplements, healthy diet, etc, will probably not be successful.

In regards to my dietary changes here is everything I have done.

What about sugar and high GL foods/meals? Other food intolerances besides nuts, dairy and wheat?

That's a cool dog. Yeah, from my background, we eat alot of rice and carbs and I've been a good boy and stayed away from bread, pasta and rice for a month and my family thinks I'm insane. Jay, yup it's you. It's really hard for me to stay away from chocolate (not so much sweets) but I've come to realise it's all cocoa powder, butter and sugar anyway. Thank god I like dark chocolate but I just need to find 100% chocolate or close to it.