Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dotty1

HCl - when do you know you've had enough?

I've read on sites that anyone can take up to 12 pills of HCl (500-750mg) if they feel no burning sensation.

Well I can take 9 HCl, 4 apple cider vinegar tablets and a little cayenne and after 20 minutes I still feel no burning sensation. I do, however, feel a tad nauseous. :doubt:.

Is nausea a sign of too much stomach acid?

I found the answer to my own question: Yes, nausea is a sign of too much stomach acid.

I noticed the nausea only started after I began taking the apple cider vinegar tablets, so they must have an effect. :dance:

I shall lower my dosage of HCl accordingly.

You do know that taking those huge amount of HCL lowers the production of your own stomach acid? HCL is not used permanently, is normally just used to diagnose.

I've been on HCl 2 weeks now. Do you think it is time to give it up?

Should I now only try to stick to apple cider vinegar tablets?

I'm am quite afraid that ACV might not be as strong as HCl and I'll have a HUGE breakout if I eat protein without the HCl. I wonder how many ACV tablets equal 5 HCl tablets :unsure:.

You could try adding Zinc to your regimen when you remove HCl. I am taking HCl and was taking two pills with each meal until I added Zinc and taking two pills of HCl started making me nauseous and giving me acid reflux. I'm assuming it raised my stomach acid somehow. Adding salt to meals might help too.

For those of you using HCl (or ACV) for a few months for weak stomach acid, did it ever just cease to work for you? I'm SOOOOOOOOOOO afraid it is too good to be true. I'm afraid it will stop working like the B5 treatment.

It has helped so much.

For those of you using HCl (or ACV) for a few months for weak stomach acid, did it ever just cease to work for you? I'm SOOOOOOOOOOO afraid it is too good to be true. I'm afraid it will stop working like the B5 treatment.

It has helped so much.

How did the B5 get rid of your acne? Because I don't see a way that HCl can just magically stop working.

Max - Have tried the B5 Treatment? It begins to clear acne by day 3 and within a week has noticeable effects. All the pores close. No oil, blackheads, infections. It works for 1.5 years and then it comes to a full halt within 4 weeks. This didn't just happen to me, it happened to almost everyone who took B5. We never learned the reason why it worked that way. :rolleyes:

So I'm just a nervous wreck that this cure is too good to be true.

No, I meant what did it do that caused your acne to go away, albeit temporarily? Since all HCl does is make you digest food better, how could it stop working?

Well, just for the record, let me add for the people who don't know what you are referring to that I wasn't rolling around on the ground because I mediocre break out, but I was on the floor with ice packs on my face because of the pain of the infections, crying. :confused: Soooooo much pain.

But, that is a good example of how bad the pain was if I touched protein.

Edited by Dotty1

It has helped so much.

How did the B5 get rid of your acne? Because I don't see a way that HCl can just magically stop working.

I do not believe anyone on this forum ever really learned how B5 worked. It only adds more mystery to acne. :dance:

The way I understand it, you build up your dose until you feel a slight burning, then you reduce the dose, until eventually you shouldn't need them anymore. When I started taking these, I got it up to seven capsules (amount varies depending on meal size, that was for the biggest meal of the day) before I felt any burning. Now I'm down to five and I still feel a very slight burning, so I think it's supposed to aid your stomach acid in getting back to regular levels. Perhaps just things like ACV will be sufficient after getting things on the right track with HCI.. I don't plan on taking these after every meal for too long.

IIRC, you're not supposed to take more pills depending on how large your meal is, you're supposed to take them depending on how much protein/fat you have in your meal.

LiliVG said that when she supplemented with HCI it suppressed her natural ability to produce stomach acid, and when she skipped taking HCI she'd get really bad stomach pains.

After hearing this, I have to admit it makes sense to me. If you rely too much on the HCI your body will determine that it doesn't need to produce as much acid because the supplement is already taking care of a good portion of it. I'm going to try this Enzymedica she claims aids in breaking down proteins in the blood, which cleared her skin by itself. I'm probably just going to ween myself off of the HCI slowly so I don't get a crazy breakout that takes a loooooong time to gain some control over.

Dotty, you recommended HCL tablets but It's really scaring me. All these people are saying that it's a temporary fix and if used long term will cause decreased stomach acid secretions.

Is ACV okay? I'm going to order Bragg's from vitacost and hope it helps in addition to cayenne pepper as well. Or maybe just ACV?

LiliVG said that when she supplemented with HCI it suppressed her natural ability to produce stomach acid, and when she skipped taking HCI she'd get really bad stomach pains.

After hearing this, I have to admit it makes sense to me. If you rely too much on the HCI your body will determine that it doesn't need to produce as much acid because the supplement is already taking care of a good portion of it. I'm going to try this Enzymedica she claims aids in breaking down proteins in the blood, which cleared her skin by itself. I'm probably just going to ween myself off of the HCI slowly so I don't get a crazy breakout that takes a loooooong time to gain some control over.

It does make sense if you think about it. If you eat your meals at exactly the same time everyday, you start getting hungry at that same time everyday, you've trained your digestive system by consistent routines. Creating stomach acid is a resource intensive process, and too much acid can cause damage to the stomach, the stomach won't produce acid if it's there already, and if it's there already at every meal, your stomach will be trained by your routine. Similarly, if you eat a high simple carb diet every day (which doesn't require much acid to digest at all), if you do that consistently enough, you'll train your stomach to make less acid consistently. Fortunately, the stomach can adapt to changing conditions, it just takes a few days of adjustment. If you've been taking HCl at every meal, when you stop, you're going to have indigestion, but fortunately, your stomach will start making it's own acid again. But those few days of indigestion are really uncomfortable, I can attest from personal experience. Similarly, if you start taking supplements that stimulate acid production, you can train your stomach to produce higher acid levels consistently. You just need to be consistent about what you eat, and your stomach will follow your lead.

Hey Lili im taking cayenne with meals which as you know is a stomach acid stimulater. If i suddenly stopped taking the cayenne, would this supposedly stop the stomach stimulation, therefore less acid is produced? Thanks for any advice :angel:

Hey Lili im taking cayenne with meals which as you know is a stomach acid stimulater. If i suddenly stopped taking the cayenne, would this supposedly stop the stomach stimulation, therefore less acid is produced? Thanks for any advice :angel:

Yeah, assuming there were low amounts of other food that stimulates acid production in your diet. This factor applies to anything you eat, not just supplements. Some foods require a low pH, some require a high pH. Your overall dietary habits will determine how much acid your stomach feels it needs to make in anticipation for any given meal.

It's kind of like exercise. If you exercise everyday, you'll be ready to run a mile at a moment's notice. if you sit on your butt every day, you won't be. Now imagine how you'd be doing if, after a steady habit of sitting on your butt everyday, you suddenly found yourself in a situation where you had to run your ass off? You probably would feel ill, and you'd probably not get very far or very fast. This is kind of like what your stomach is dealing with on a high refined carb diet. Carbs require very little acid to digest. Now if you eat a steak one day in the middle of a high carb diet, your stomach isn't really going to be prepared to handle it. You'll end up with a partially digested meal, and uncomfortable indigestion.

The cayenne is there to keep your stomach up to par, so that when you do eat a meal that requires more acid, it's prepared and ready to go. Your meal will end up being digested properly. But cayenne isn't the only thing that does this. If you ate a lot of meat at every meal, your stomach would be naturally primed for producing a lot of acid, because protein stimulates acid production. Salt does the same thing. And so do spicy foods (like cayenne). In fact, there are people on this board who have gone on an almost all meat diet, and found their skin got better. They've trained their stomach to consistently expect to produce high acid levels with a diet like that.

Edited by LiliVG

Thank you very much...I used to eat like a T-rex before i got all hung up on diet. I didn't eat red meat for 6 months or so and when i introduced it back, i got bad indigestion and slow bowel movements. Cayenne made a huge noticeable improvement. I will try to go a little more carnivore again :D