Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've ordered it today and I was wondering a few things.

• How often do I need to use it? I heard twice a week at night in place of my moisturizer.

• If I was using it as a spot treatment when would I put it on? After or before the moisturizer?

• The only sunscreen I have is with my moisturizer. Is this okay or should I invest in a just sunscreen alone? Also, is SPF 15 enough?
Edited by brandonn

really depends on your sensitivity. start off using it say every 3-4 days, then gradually work your up.

apparently you dont need moisturizer. i just place it on skin and thats it.

dunno about sunscreen. depends on how long you're out there i guess.

Hi there! Glad to hear you ordered the AHA!

As for using it during the week - start out slow - try it on a small area first - to see how your skin reacts - and then judge how often you'd like to use it. I use mine just at night (after I cleanse, then put BP on and let that dry) and then only put a little (and I mean - A LITTLE) amount of AHA on my dry/scar spots. That's it. I don't use any other moisturizer at night. AHA is enough. It is really moisturizing - and I use mine every night. I'd say start out slow and see how your skin reacts and see if 2-3 times a week are enough!

Spot treatment - Dan has a video on how he uses it, here he mentions that he uses it after BP: http://www.acne.org/alpha-hydroxy-acid.php

And here's the video: http://www.danielkern.com/category-s/20.htm

(at the bottom of the page)

He mentions that he uses the AHA as a spot treatment after BP - but Dan also says that he applies the AHA to a zit/spot 2-3 times a day - so that would mean that you could put the AHA on a zit after you moisturize, too. Whatever works for you! I'd think if you put it on before you moisturize - it would *soak* into your skin a bit faster - and then you could put moisturizer on after - and then apply the small dot of AHA throughout the day to the zit - if you so chose.

As for the SPF issue - here's a little video he did about SPF: http://www.acne.org/blog/2009/06/24/sun-we...hoosing-an-spf/

He mentions in it how high of an SPF you should look for. The only thing you have to think about with AHA and SPF - is if you keep AHA for your moisturizer at night (only) - then you can stick to your moisturizer with SPF during the day (which you are going to need with adding AHA into the mix.) This is what I do. Some people want to use AHA as the moisturizer during the day - this is sort of hard to do...because you'd have to still put on something with SPF - and that means, if you are on the regimen, you'd have to cleanse, then put BP on - then apply moisturizer with SPF, then put AHA on? That's a lot of gunk to have on your face all day?!

So you have to see what will work for you. If you do AHA at night - then your normal moisturizer during the day with SPF should work fine!

Hope this helps!

Edited by Katrina Mae

As for using it during the week - start out slow - try it on a small area first - to see how your skin reacts - and then judge how often you'd like to use it. I use mine just at night (after I cleanse, then put BP on and let that dry) and then only put a little (and I mean - A LITTLE) amount of AHA on my dry/scar spots.

Okay, so I put on AHA after the BP dries? Also, When trying it out on a small area (jaw line as they suggest) it's okay to use moisturizer for the rest of the skin until I know it works I mean.

Hi there! Sorry for the late response!

Yes - definitely okay to put the AHA on after your BP dries. You want to make sure that your BP *completely* dries - so you aren't smearing BP around with your AHA :) You will find that the AHA is very runny compared to the BP - it only takes a little to smear on - and then I always let it air dry (don't need to rub rub rub it in) :)

As for moisturizer on the rest of the face while seeing if AHA works for your skin - totally fine!!!

Hopefully the AHA works for you! Just remember - a little goes a long way - you don't need much - and it will sting a bit when you first start using it (and actually mine still stings!) :) Just don't overload - it's strong stuff!

Thanks so much for the help. Since Tuesday I've been putting it under my jaw line and have seen no negative affects. I'm going to be using it in place of my moisturizer tonight. Wish me luck!

Start out gradually with AHA. It can really sting/itch. I started out too fast. I could hardly keep from scratching my neck because it itched so badly. One thing that helps is if it really bothers you, wait for a long time after cleansing before applying it. I try to wait at least an hour.

Good luck.

Make sure you don't put it on after you shave (at least until you get use to it)...it stings really bad and makes your skin super red...Once you get use to the AHA using it as an aftershave really helps prevent razor rash.

Make sure you don't put it on after you shave (at least until you get use to it)...it stings really bad and makes your skin super red...Once you get use to the AHA using it as an aftershave really helps prevent razor rash.

Thank you so much for this tip! I would probably learned the hard way if I hadn't read this.

Does anyone know how many minutes I need to wait if I'm doing just the spot treatment? I'm unsure if I should wait 5, 10, or 15 minutes.

let the BP dry completely, I usually wait about 8-10 min for this. Then Apply the AHA, and wait for about 8 -10 min or until you feel the sting fade off. Then, moisturize. The longer the AHA stays on, the more time it has to soak into the skin and the AHA will mix less with the moisturizer therefore working more effectively.

Hi there! Glad to hear you ordered the AHA!

As for using it during the week - start out slow - try it on a small area first - to see how your skin reacts - and then judge how often you'd like to use it. I use mine just at night (after I cleanse, then put BP on and let that dry) and then only put a little (and I mean - A LITTLE) amount of AHA on my dry/scar spots. That's it. I don't use any other moisturizer at night. AHA is enough. It is really moisturizing - and I use mine every night. I'd say start out slow and see how your skin reacts and see if 2-3 times a week are enough!

Spot treatment - Dan has a video on how he uses it, here he mentions that he uses it after BP: http://www.acne.org/alpha-hydroxy-acid.php

And here's the video: http://www.danielkern.com/category-s/20.htm

(at the bottom of the page)

He mentions that he uses the AHA as a spot treatment after BP - but Dan also says that he applies the AHA to a zit/spot 2-3 times a day - so that would mean that you could put the AHA on a zit after you moisturize, too. Whatever works for you! I'd think if you put it on before you moisturize - it would *soak* into your skin a bit faster - and then you could put moisturizer on after - and then apply the small dot of AHA throughout the day to the zit - if you so chose.

As for the SPF issue - here's a little video he did about SPF: http://www.acne.org/blog/2009/06/24/sun-we...hoosing-an-spf/

He mentions in it how high of an SPF you should look for. The only thing you have to think about with AHA and SPF - is if you keep AHA for your moisturizer at night (only) - then you can stick to your moisturizer with SPF during the day (which you are going to need with adding AHA into the mix.) This is what I do. Some people want to use AHA as the moisturizer during the day - this is sort of hard to do...because you'd have to still put on something with SPF - and that means, if you are on the regimen, you'd have to cleanse, then put BP on - then apply moisturizer with SPF, then put AHA on? That's a lot of gunk to have on your face all day?!

So you have to see what will work for you. If you do AHA at night - then your normal moisturizer during the day with SPF should work fine!

Hope this helps!

I agree with everything you said. Just start off gradually slow with a small amount. I have sensitive skin and I can use AHA everyday without any problems right now. It's not nearly as irritating as BP or Retin-A though. Make sure you are using spf 15+ when you are out in the sun.

You are HOT btw =P

I agree with everything you said. Just start off gradually slow with a small amount. I have sensitive skin and I can use AHA everyday without any problems right now. It's not nearly as irritating as BP or Retin-A though. Make sure you are using spf 15+ when you are out in the sun.

You are HOT btw =P

Hahaha! Thank you so much, AcnePwns!