Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bennyb

chlorella and spirulina

I have read on the acne.org boards about these two supplements and I looked them up and went and bought them. I was wondering if anybody has had any results with these two supps. since there is not a lot of info on these boards about them. Chlorella is supposed to be like some kind of superfood and Spirulina has a whole lot of nutrients and vitamins. Please let me know if you guys have tried either of these products.

So have you seen benefits acne-wise? Also how much of each should I take daily? And do I take them with meals?

Well, I don't have acne anymore, I use it as a very healthy addition to my diet. Whether it does something for you acne-wise depends on other things too: what do you eat, what topicals do you use, how is your sleeping routine, how high are your stress levels, do you use vegetable oils (apart from coconut oil and olive oil) or (processed) soy, do you touch your face often, do you exercise, etc. Basically: if you have a rubbish lifestyle, chlorella and spirulina definitely do help to improve your health, but there's only so much it can do for you. And -as with most foods- you have to be patient, it's not an overnight cure.

Dosage: start with 3 grams of spirulina and chlorella daily and build up to 30 grams of spirulina and chlorella daily if you have a condition you want to improve. Make sure to increase the dosage slowly, that's very important, for spirulina but especially for chlorella. If you notice uncomfortable side effects (you'll know), just lower the dosage and slowly build it up again. Once your condition is gone, slowly start lowering the dosage to 5-10 grams of spirulina and chlorella daily, which is what I'm taking now.

You can take both on an empty stomach or about 30 minutes before a meal, or even with a meal. It's a matter of preference. I take spirulina on an empty stomach (first thing in the morning), between meals and before bedtime and chlorella before meals and before bedtime. Spread the intake throughout the day.

Yes, that's enough to start with. Just do that for about 5 days and then go to 6 grams, then 12, 20, 30. If you encounter problems, just lower to somewhere between the previous and the current dosage. You'll find out what's best for you.

That's what he said =P

lol

@bennyb: If you feel 30 grams is too much (not everyone can handle that), just lower to the dosage you're comfortable with and stick with that. 30 grams is not an absolute figure.

Edited by AKL

No problem. Good luck! And keep me updated, OK? Also, if you have any questions: just PM me.

I have read on the acne.org boards about these two supplements and I looked them up and went and bought them. I was wondering if anybody has had any results with these two supps. since there is not a lot of info on these boards about them. Chlorella is supposed to be like some kind of superfood and Spirulina has a whole lot of nutrients and vitamins. Please let me know if you guys have tried either of these products.

Chlorella is the safer of the two. Best to get the NOW Foods brand Organic Chlorella 500mg tablets. Although, Dr. Andrew Weil isn't a fan of either. He has mentioned that Spirulina is more likely to be contaminated.

I began taking spirulina and B complex vitamin just s few months ago and I definately have seen iprovement with my skin, less pimples overall, my skin is less oily and spirulina helps speed up healing so if you do break out it goes away faster.

Also I have cut out most really bad refined sugar and dont eat much dairy except for the kefir/yogurt type stuff. I feel much better mentally and dont have the sugar high/lows.

Of course drink enough water especially if you take supplements.

never tried chorella but spirulina seems to be a genuine good thing, hope this helps!

I absolutely love spirulina and chlorella but beware of CONSTIPATION. I have to take low doses of both because otherwise I get very constipated. Not everyone has this problem and I hope you are one of those people. Drink lots of water with the dose.