Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LLL3

accutane for mild/moderate acne???

I've had mild/moderate but PERSISTENT acne for about 10 years. Several tetracycline treatments yielded only short-term (5 days) results. Over the counter topicals do very little for my skin condition. I'm sick of trying different products with little to no improvement!

I don't have and never had cystic acne. I mostly get small to medium sized zits all over my face. I also have extremely oily skin. After washing in the morning, I have a very shiny face! 2 hours later I have oil everywhere. I have big pores that are noticeable from 5 feet away and "thick" skin.

I want to start accutane even though I do not have "cystic" acne. Do you think my doctor will ok it? or is accutane strictly for people with severe or cystic acne?

thanks in advance!

I have the same kind of acne as you and I was prescribed it because I have tried EVERYTHING else with little to no results.

So, depending on your doctor, it's quite possible.

Well I made an appointment to see a dermatologist (for the first time ever) in 3 days. Now, what I am about to say is out of utmost desperation. I know for a fact that certain foods break me out horribly within 24 hours so I am going to eat those foods for the next 2 days until the day I go to the dermatologist. Right now my face is the best it's looked in months but I know my skin better than anyone and I know that this is just temporary and in a week I will have acne all over again. I'm afraid that if the doc sees me in my current condition, he will laugh at the idea of me on accutane. I want him to see me in a "bad" condition so I can definitely get the accutane treatment.

I know that sounds crazy!! but afterall I am desperate. The foods I will be eating are pizza, Chinese food, any sugary foods like ice cream, candy bars, etc. I have purposely avoided these foods for about 5-6 years!!! It's so difficult not to give in but of course I have done it every once in a while. When I did, as mentioned earlier, my face would break out like no other almost overnight! I am pretty thin anyway so eating like this for a few days won't affect me. I also have an ultra fast metabolism.

Anyway, for dinner tonight I had low mein and chicken/broccoli and an shrimp egg roll!!!!! I haven't eaten like that in 5-6 years!! It felt great!!

Wish me luck. and please let me know what you think about this act of desperation, as I am calling it.

btw sorry if I'm rambling and not making much sense. It's 2am and can't sleep....

Meh, I don't think that's crazy.

The week before I went to my dermatologist hoping to get Accutane, I stopped using the topical treatments that had been keeping my acne mild. (Mild, but still there) So by the time I was in his office I was in full blown "moderate" mode, which is what my face looks like sometimes anyway. I just wanted him to see me at my worst, to know how I feel at least once a month.

Meh, I don't think that's crazy.

The week before I went to my dermatologist hoping to get Accutane, I stopped using the topical treatments that had been keeping my acne mild. (Mild, but still there) So by the time I was in his office I was in full blown "moderate" mode, which is what my face looks like sometimes anyway. I just wanted him to see me at my worst, to know how I feel at least once a month.

Ya i have to decided to try accutane myself so i made an appt with my dr which is on monday to talk to him about seeing a derm for the first time. I have to do this process cause im in the military. I am broke out pretty bad on chin right now so that sounds like a good idea for once about eating bad foods that you avoid to get worse before your apt lol. I might try this, because i have decided to try accutane, all topicals just make my skin worse too, its to sensitive around mouth and chin.

So its going to be a while im sure before i find out what the derm says because im sure i have to wait another month to see him/her. Just sick and tired of looking like shit, time to nuke it.

Well I made an appointment to see a dermatologist (for the first time ever) in 3 days. Now, what I am about to say is out of utmost desperation. I know for a fact that certain foods break me out horribly within 24 hours so I am going to eat those foods for the next 2 days until the day I go to the dermatologist. Right now my face is the best it's looked in months but I know my skin better than anyone and I know that this is just temporary and in a week I will have acne all over again. I'm afraid that if the doc sees me in my current condition, he will laugh at the idea of me on accutane. I want him to see me in a "bad" condition so I can definitely get the accutane treatment.

I know that sounds crazy!! but afterall I am desperate. The foods I will be eating are pizza, Chinese food, any sugary foods like ice cream, candy bars, etc. I have purposely avoided these foods for about 5-6 years!!! It's so difficult not to give in but of course I have done it every once in a while. When I did, as mentioned earlier, my face would break out like no other almost overnight! I am pretty thin anyway so eating like this for a few days won't affect me. I also have an ultra fast metabolism.

Anyway, for dinner tonight I had low mein and chicken/broccoli and an shrimp egg roll!!!!! I haven't eaten like that in 5-6 years!! It felt great!!

Wish me luck. and please let me know what you think about this act of desperation, as I am calling it.

btw sorry if I'm rambling and not making much sense. It's 2am and can't sleep....

Sounds like a decent stratergy rather than an 'act of desperation'.

Remember that acne is nothing but an enemy and sometimes you have to be clever and tactful to get rid of your enemies. Hope it works out for you.

thanks for all the replies.

I had a load of greasy Chinese food last night along with some other goodies and when I woke up this morning, sure enough I have several new zits all over my face. (voice of Borat: "Great success" ) hahah I just watched that movie last night lol

I really wish I don't have to do this to myself just to make the doc "see" how bad my face is and, in a sense, "tricking" him. lol. I'm afraid that if I simply try to explain to him that my skin has constant ups and downs, and that today happens to be an "up" day, he will still not buy into it and will not prescribe me accutane. Why anyone would want to go on accutane if their skin ALWAYS looked this clear...I don't know...but I want to be sure I get the prescription so I'm sticking with this plan.

Oh My goodness, I'm baking brownies this evening and I swear I'm going to eat the whole batch!! I haven't had a piece of brownie (and enjoyed it) in soooo many years lol. Then I'm ording a large pepperoni pie to myself I can't wait haha. I sound like a raging lunatic lmao.

oh and I think I'll make myself a creatine protein shake. Back in highschool when I used to lift wights, those things would break me out the worst!

For the first time in my life, I actually want to get bad acne.

I just read my post and realized that it may seem like I'm obese with the way I plan to eat for the next few days lol. I'm 5'10" 160 lbs and have been a health freak for about 5 years. I run 4 days a week and eat 5 servings of veggies/day (mostly because it's an attempt to have clearer skin).

After an accutane treatment, I hope to be able to live a normal lifestyle. I hope to be able to eat whatever I want and go out without doing a regimen. Most of all, I hope to be confident!

thanks for all the replies.

I had a load of greasy Chinese food last night along with some other goodies and when I woke up this morning, sure enough I have several new zits all over my face. (voice of Borat: "Great success" ) hahah I just watched that movie last night lol

I really wish I don't have to do this to myself just to make the doc "see" how bad my face is and, in a sense, "tricking" him. lol. I'm afraid that if I simply try to explain to him that my skin has constant ups and downs, and that today happens to be an "up" day, he will still not buy into it and will not prescribe me accutane. Why anyone would want to go on accutane if their skin ALWAYS looked this clear...I don't know...but I want to be sure I get the prescription so I'm sticking with this plan.

Oh My goodness, I'm baking brownies this evening and I swear I'm going to eat the whole batch!! I haven't had a piece of brownie (and enjoyed it) in soooo many years lol. Then I'm ording a large pepperoni pie to myself I can't wait haha. I sound like a raging lunatic lmao.

oh and I think I'll make myself a creatine protein shake. Back in highschool when I used to lift wights, those things would break me out the worst!

For the first time in my life, I actually want to get bad acne.

Hahaha thats funny. I think i will prolly try the same thing, maybe not go all out but venture some lol. Might have some pizza myself this weekend for the first time in like 5 months lol.

hey, if you want to take something that tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of people have used successfully to get rid of their acne, go ahead...

see, you can slant it in more than one way!!

if you want to take a drug that's been proven to reduce frontal lobe brain activity by an average of 21 percent (check out Douglas Bremner's study), go ahead. If you want to take a drug that has been proven to reduce cell proliferation in the hippocampus go ahead. Roche has completed studies with regards to Accutane's link to depression, yet they have chosen not to release the results. Do some research on retnoids and vitamin A toxicity, check out some studies, research Roche's history with Accutane, and make an informed decision.

if you want to take a drug that's been proven to reduce frontal lobe brain activity by an average of 21 percent (check out Douglas Bremner's study), go ahead. If you want to take a drug that has been proven to reduce cell proliferation in the hippocampus go ahead. Roche has completed studies with regards to Accutane's link to depression, yet they have chosen not to release the results. Do some research on retnoids and vitamin A toxicity, check out some studies, research Roche's history with Accutane, and make an informed decision.

Well i know there are plenty of accutane testimonials forums out there but found this one that keeps it brief and to the point. Going through a lot of it still, like watching a tennis match of course, so makes decisions to take it even tougher:S

http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?...TANE&page=1

I have already made my (informed) decision. I'm well aware of the risks I am about to face. To me, however, it's worth it.

Depression: I have zero family history of it. I have never experienced it. I have always been a happy camper. I am 25 years old and am always very much aware of my mental being, so if I do happen to experience any kind of depressive behavior, I will act on it. I have plenty family members and friends whom I am very close with, and who will lend an ear/hand if I am in need.

Joint/back pains: I am and always have been an athlete. I play ice hockey, run, and weight train on a regular basis. As mentioned earlier, I'm a health freak. Now, I know this is no guarantee that I will not experience joint/back pains but I imagine it should hinder the odds.

One possible side affect I am concerned about, is hair-loss/thinning. However, I would MUCH rather have balding/thinning hair than have to deal with any form of acne. As I had mentioned earlier, I have about had it with acne. I'm 25!!! It's soo embarrassing to go to work, or go out anywhere for that matter, with my face all broken out. People think I'm dirty or eat too much junkfood, which is NOT the case at all.

It's a sad fact that in today's society(and previous societies??), people judge you on your appearance more than your words. Instead of secluding myself of this society, I chose to face it and be a part of it.

not entirely related but check out the movie "Whatever Works" starring Larry David, written by Woody Alan. It has something to do with my last statement. Great movie!!

yowusup: Do you think everyone on accutane will experience depression? (the image I get is Gollum from Lord of the Rings........"my....preciousssss" hahaha to imply that accutane grabs a hold of a person like the ring did Gollum lmao) I'm sorry but I can not buy into it. If you are generally a stable person mentally ( before accutane), then you should be fine while on the med. As I mentioned, I'm 25. I know I'm still relatively "young" by years, but I consider myself experienced and mature. I have no worries about depression while on accutane.

I've never been depressed while on accutane.. but years of acne sure made me feel depressed at times. Guess accutane can actually get rid of depression too! Should list that as a potential side effect as well.

No, I don't believe that at all. I simply believe that accutane effect's everyones brain to some degree. It is common knowledge that Accutane enters and has an effect on the brain (it is, as I'm sure you know, still used to treat forms of brain cancer). With regards to joint pains--- sooo many people get them... dude, I lifted weights very often, I was a three sport athlete, and I experienced joint pains galore. The fact that you are athletic doesn't mean accutane won't cause you to experience joint pains. Check out all of the athletes on Acne.org that went on accutane--- read about all their shitty experiences with joint pains... I used to play baseball, but I had to sit out practically my whole freshman season because my shoulder felt like it was gonna fall off and joints allover my body ached like a bitch.

The fact that you are athletic doesn't mean accutane won't cause you to experience joint pains.

from my last post:

"Joint/back pains: I am and always have been an athlete. I play ice hockey, run, and weight train on a regular basis. As mentioned earlier, I'm a health freak. Now, I know this is no guarantee that I will not experience joint/back pains but I imagine it should hinder the odds."

----I'll repeat myself. I know this is no guarantee that I will not experience joint/back pains. I just think that as a physically active person, it will help my chances of not experiencing them, as opposed to being unhealthy or non physically active on a a regular basis. I'm well aware of the risk but I am willing to take it.

btw- I truly am sorry that you had a negative experience with accutane but you can't argue with the fact that the drug has helped soooooo many people improve their quality of life by giving them clear skin. I'm sure you are aware of this but, if you had a positive experience with accutane, like sooo many others, you would not be on this message board (and God knows where else) trying to scare people about the drug. Any responsible person should be able to do their own research and make their own informed decision about accutane.

For me: I choose clear skin. period.

I agree with you on that yowasup.. I play college football and follow a strict nutrition plan and I get joint pains. Fish oils do help...

Anyway, in regards to feeling less depressed while on accutane.. I really haven't felt depressed while on accutane. Idk what else I can say.. sure my chapped lips have been annoying, but I haven't felt depressed while on accutane. Like I said, when I woke up with a huge breakout and had no answer for it, I'd feel like shit and not want to hangout with friends.. but on accutane even when I got a breakout it was just a speed bump on the way to clear skin. Maybe it was just natural maturation.

Edited by halifax

I am definitely enjoying all the foods that I had to avoid for many years! Yesterday I had pizza, buffalo wings, and ice cream with brownies for dessert. I think for dinner today I'll go to MacDonald's and get myself a double bacon cheese burger with large fries. I can hardly wait.

My skin...well, it looks horrible right now. I have no doubt that the dermatologist will be prescribing me accutane tomorrow after he sees my face like this and after I tell him that I've tried everything else.

I'll keep you all updated. I'll probably start another thread for my accutane log.

you should take a picture of your face .. this way if this particular derm says no to accutane you can search for a new derm to prescribe you accutane and you can just show him how bad your acne gets without having to do this again!