Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
acneVictimFor12Yrs

My Cystic Acne just does not go away

I am off dairy from the last 3 days and have had no new breakouts since. I feel I cannot tolerate milk much as I used to feel a little bloated after having milk/tea/coffee. But yogurt seems to have no such effect. Anyways, I am now strictly off milk/milk products and will keep posting my progress.

I am off dairy from the last 3 days and have had no new breakouts since. I feel I cannot tolerate milk much as I used to feel a little bloated after having milk/tea/coffee. But yogurt seems to have no such effect. Anyways, I am now strictly off milk/milk products and will keep posting my progress.

If your off dairy that means no dairy at all. If yogurt doesn't break you out then I guess its okay, but I would abstain from all dairy, including cheese.

That's great to hear that you haven't broken out for 3 days, that's why I hate derms they are stupid and never tell you anything about diet because they want to keep prescribing you medicine that irritates your skin more.

Next eliminate the wheat/gluten products and see if your skin improves even more.

Congrats your headed in the right direction, I'm frankly surprised you never realized your diet was the cause.

PANIC

If your off dairy that means no dairy at all. If yogurt doesn't break you out then I guess its okay, but I would abstain from all dairy, including cheese.

That's great to hear that you haven't broken out for 3 days, that's why I hate derms they are stupid and never tell you anything about diet because they want to keep prescribing you medicine that irritates your skin more.

Next eliminate the wheat/gluten products and see if your skin improves even more.

Congrats your headed in the right direction, I'm frankly surprised you never realized your diet was the cause.

PANIC

Day 6 and no new breakouts!! Keeping my fingers crossed.

Kept off milk, butter and cheese. But cheated a little and had yogurt once.

I am also taking a fibre supplement to cleanse out the toxins off my body. No atibiotics or topicals.. I am feeling really good.

Edited by acneVictimFor12Yrs

PANIC

Day 6 and no new breakouts!! Keeping my fingers crossed.

Kept off milk, butter and cheese. But cheated a little and had yogurt once.

I am also taking a fibre supplement to cleanse out the toxins off my body. No atibiotics or topicals.. I am feeling really good.

You can send your check to Sunny and I'm in Southern California....hahahha

PANIC

Ya the check is coming your way Panic.. keep checking your mailbox!!!

I suffered a little setback when I woke up yesterday with a painful cyst near the mouth. But thankfully the size is much smaller than it used to be before. Also after dabbing honey overnight it has developed a head today and I am hoping it will clear out in a few days.

Panic: Can you tell me briefly about your diet? I am trying to chalk out a diet plan for myself and need some help.

Ya the check is coming your way Panic.. keep checking your mailbox!!!

I suffered a little setback when I woke up yesterday with a painful cyst near the mouth. But thankfully the size is much smaller than it used to be before. Also after dabbing honey overnight it has developed a head today and I am hoping it will clear out in a few days.

Panic: Can you tell me briefly about your diet? I am trying to chalk out a diet plan for myself and need some help.

I'm also doing a colon cleanse as well right now and if you break out a little bit, don't get discouraged, that's actually a good sign since its toxins coming out of your system.

Yeah my diet is pretty strict right now. I personally feel like I'm dealing with a digestion problem and several food sensitivities from the stress I was under which caused my sudden break outs.

However ever since I got on this diet I don't break out at all anymore and I should be completely clear very soon.

Right now I'm avoiding gluten, dairy, nuts and wheat. I know for sure that I'm sensitive to gluten. Gluten is found in breads, pastas, bran, oats, rye and barely. So I don't snack on crackers or anything like that anymore.

Instead I get all my carbs from gluten free rice cereal, tons of green veggies and quinoa. Google quinoa if you haven't heard of it. Its really good.

I also eat lots of protein from strictly eggs, chicken and fish. My diet was high in beef before, but I've completely cut it out since I started this diet.

I also get healthy fats from supplements; Cod Liver Oil, Grape seed Oil and Flax Seed Oil.

I take digestive enzymes with every meal and Apple Cider Vinegar twice a day.

So my average day is:

Breakfast: 2 Eggs with onions and 1 cup of rice cereal

Lunch: Fish or Ground Chicken with lots of green veggies

Dinner: Chicken or Fish (depending on what I had for lunch) green veggies

Snacks: Quinoa crackers, salad, rice milk.

I also drink a ton of water 85-100 oz a day. I have to wake up in the middle of the night to pee every day! LOL

Looks like your outside the US, but you should be able to find everything I listed at your local health food store.

I'm also big on using onions, spinach, chilies etc. They all have healing powers for your digestion.

Let me know if you have any questions.

PANIC

Thanks for the diet info Panic!! I hope I can be just as disciplined as you are. What do u use for the colon cleanse? I use psyllium husk fibe supplement (powder form) before going to bed. I am not sure how long I can safely continue to use it??

Can anybody please recommend me a good sunscreen which is least likely to cause breakouts. Is Neutrogena good?

20+ days of avoiding dairy and my face is relatively clear!! Thanks for helping me pinpoint the culprit. For years I have been living on milk ( milk , yogurt, butter, cheese, tea, coffee!!) and been battling with acne. Uncountable visits to different Derms and not even one could make the connection to dairy. Stupid ass#@$%^&!! They just asked me to stay off oily food, chocolates, pizzas and junk food. And ignorant as I was, I never thought something like milk, which I always thought was a wholesome and healthy food, could cause me so much misery.

In the last 20 days I got one zit near the mouth (it cleared up very quickly) and one big VERY painful cyst on my cheek. I am still yet to recover from the big one but I guess this is not too bad... 1 cyst in 20 days. I got the big cyst a day after I had a cup of yogurt so I blame myself for it. Otherwise my face is fairly clear execpt for the one cyst and the hyperpigmentation from my previous breakouts.

I am still continuing with the colon clease with psyllium husk. Is it safe to use it longterm??

Edited by acneVictimFor12Yrs

20+ days of avoiding dairy and my face is relatively clear!! Thanks for helping me pinpoint the culprit. For years I have been living on milk ( milk , yogurt, butter, cheese, tea, coffee!!) and been battling with acne. Uncountable visits to different Derms and not even one could make the connection to dairy. Stupid ass#@$%^&!! They just asked me to stay off oily food, chocolates, pizzas and junk food. And ignorant as I was, I never thought something like milk, which I always thought was a wholesome and healthy food, could cause me so much misery.

In the last 20 days I got one zit near the mouth (it cleared up very quickly) and one big VERY painful cyst on my cheek. I am still yet to recover from the big one but I guess this is not too bad... 1 cyst in 20 days. I got the big cyst a day after I had a cup of yogurt so I blame myself for it. Otherwise my face is fairly clear execpt for the one cyst and the hyperpigmentation from my previous breakouts.

I am still continuing with the colon clease with psyllium husk. Is it safe to use it longterm??

Congrats! Glad your issue with fairly simple to figure out. Diet is critical in healing acne. The next step is to make sure your getting 8 hours of sleep a night, drinking plenty of water and working out.

Psyllium husk alone is fine to use long term; however I wouldn't do it unless you are constipated or not regular. I used it for 3 weeks and have become regular again, so I stopped.

Less is more in a lot of cases...

PANIC

Nice job! I was fed up with cystic acne myself a few months ago and did the same thing that you just did. I was treating with retin-a, which seemed at the time to just stop working, after working so well for me in the past. First, I just was loaded with huge, painful, pus filled zits, then all of a sudden, cysts started getting thrown into the equation, after not having any since going on retin-a. So, I read about dairy causing cysts on this site after doing some desperation research, and I decided to give it a try. Sure enough, I cut out the dairy, and the cysts and large pus-filled zits stopped in their tracks. Now all I have to do to stay clear on my face is use Dan's bp twice a day, which keeps away the very minor spots that are not related to dairy at bay. I'm usually clear on my face about 95 percent of the time, which is great! I also have back and chest acne that doesn't appear to be related to dairy. It's nothing real bad, but since I got my face cleared up, I wanted to see if I could improve that as well, and I'm pleased to say that Dan's AHA+ has given me some good results, though I think I am still purging a bit as I'm only a few weeks into it. Bottom line is, great job! Keep up the good work on eliminating dairy. I don't take any chances. I don't drink milk or eat cheese anymore. And oh, how I love milk and cheese, being from Wisconsin. I don't eat yogurt, or put butter on anything that I eat either. I make my pizzas without cheese, and I don't put cheese on my tacos. My basic rule of thumb is this: if I can see the cheese or butter in it, I don't eat it. In very tiny amounts though, it seems to be okay, like if it's used to bake cookies, or it's a cheese sauce (kraft mac 'n' cheese) or something, but it's probably best not to overdo that either. If you love milk and don't know what to drink, try almond milk. I actually like it better! I get this good stuff that is vanilla flavored, and it's so much richer than skim or 1% milk, but it's really low in calories, and sugar is only about 8 grams or so, which is not bad. Plus, they add calcium to it as well. Just keep doing what you're doing, you're bound to clear up even more...the body needs time to get rid of the toxins.