Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
acneVictimFor12Yrs

My Cystic Acne just does not go away

I am 27 yrs old and am suffering from Cystic acne which stays on my cheeks for ages. I never pop or mess with them but still they take around 2 months to completely go away. They are painful and go deep into the skin and leaves a dark mark after healing. Also they never develop a head and just stays on the skin for ages. I am following the regimen from 1 month but BP seems to have no effect on the cysts. My skin feels tight but there is no effect on the cysts. Please help!!!

i always feel like if i leave my cysts alone and apply BP constantly 3 times a day or more with moisturizer they go away faster, something about the bp draws out impurities

im in the exact same boat. Same age. Cystic acne. Deep cysts that never come to a head. My skin where i dont have cycsts (i have about 4 recurring onees that have come and gone every month for about 10 years) isn't that bad. Not great but very bearable.

I am supposed to see a derm about accutane next month. All of the antibiotics in the world haven't helped. At the moment i am eating more fruit and veggies, along with my antibiotics probiotic yoghurts and zinc tablets and my skin is slightly better, although that could just be coincidence because my skin typically clears for a few weeks before i break out bad again.

Look into accutane if i were you, and have something to hand for when the cysts arrive. (im trying preperation-H at the moment!!)

good luck

I feel your pain! I have bad cystic acne on one of my cheeks which won't clear up. I would say some of them have been there for months and as they start to clear up they raise their ugly heads again, usually with new ones alongside. I am on accutane now as I have tried everything else so I am hoping they will respond to that.

Thats the thing with cysts that just sit there all red, hard and painful; you can't do anything with them and most would probably advise just that..leave them alone but its so hard!

I hope the regimen starts to have an effect for you.

I too have bad cystic acne along my jaw line on both sides and I tried accutane twice and finally have given up without any results. Besides, they will let you only do it three times in your life so it can't be good for you. But I am like all of you who just want to feel good about yourself. I can't remember having a clear face since 5th grade and its only getting worse. I hope that accutane can help someone out there but be aware of the severe side affects.

It is really painful :cry: . I have been to many dermatologists and tried loads of antibiotics. Recently I took a course of Avindo 500 (antibiotic). But still my cysts have not cleared. Last year I used a Tea Tree oil face wash by The Body Shop. It worked really well for me at first and my skin was very clear for about 2 months. But then my acne seemed to develop resistance to it. Now Tea Tree Oil does not work at all in clearing my acne. I hate to see my face in the mirror now :(:( Even BP is having no effect on my cysts.

I am considering starting on Accutane but I am worried about the side effects. Feel really depressed.

im scared of the side effects myself. The most worrying ones are the dry eyes (i have worn contacts for years and my eyes are already so dry in the mornings, i guess from wearning them non stop).

I also terrified of the libido issues ive heard some of the guys mention.

Having said that, my doctor told me that any side effects will correct themselves in time, after finishing the accutane. I guess i'll take his word for it. He also said to me 'what's worse. a few months of side effects? or another 10 years of acne?' Maybe he talks sense.

im scared of the side effects myself. The most worrying ones are the dry eyes (i have worn contacts for years and my eyes are already so dry in the mornings, i guess from wearning them non stop).

I also terrified of the libido issues ive heard some of the guys mention.

Having said that, my doctor told me that any side effects will correct themselves in time, after finishing the accutane. I guess i'll take his word for it. He also said to me 'what's worse. a few months of side effects? or another 10 years of acne?' Maybe he talks sense.

Yeah you're doc is talking sense. While libido issues are rare, let's put it in this context: Suppose you get a limp dick from accutane, but it's only temporary then you can go back to doing whomever or whatever you do, or you can have cystic acne for the next ten years with all the scars, marks, pits and general disfigurement that go along with it with a strong libido and a hard dick but no one to do because you have made yourself unattractive to the point that potential sexual partners will want to avoid you. But..gee, you could have avoided that by six months of accutane...but you didn't because you got scared of some possible side effects...duh?

Joe Zit

Hey sorry to hear about your struggle.

All you guys who are suffering form cystic acne need to understand that you can wash you face with the lastest greatest product all day and while it might help control your acne, its not going to cure it. Acne is an internal condition..... if your getting consistent cystic acne, its your body's way of telling you something isn't working right inside you.

I just went through the same thing when I suddenly started breaking out in painful cysts on my cheeks and started freaking out. It would look like it was getting better than bam, another couple to ruin it all, this continued for 6 months straight. Until I completely changed my diet. Now my skin doesn't look so inflammed and angry. And the crazy part is I was using so many different products because I was so frustrated and now all I do is wash my face with water twice a day... no BP, no moisturizer, nothing!

What is your diet like???? Do you eat a lot of sugar or refined processed food?? Are you under a lot of stress?

Some of the most common triggers of cystic acne are: dairy, gluten (found in nearly all wheat/grain products, nuts, sugar, citrus fruits,

I have religiously avoided all the above with the exception of sugar since its virtually impossible to have no sugar at all. But my sugar intake is very low, maybe 5-15 grams a day max and my skin looks COMPLETELY different.

I'm 80% clear and am positive I'll be 100% clear in a month.

Most acne products are very drying and actually end up irritating the skin more. I encourage you to look at your diet and watch your skin magically clear super fast.

If you need help send me a PM and I can help you out.....

PANIC

Look into accutane if i were you, and have something to hand for when the cysts arrive. (im trying preperation-H at the moment!!)

good luck

I feel I have to write a quick update on this.

I used the preparationH for the first time a few days ago. I frequently get cysts that stay under the skin and never come close to coming to a head, but they are huge and my face swells up to the point where i look like ive been badly beat up.

I know when im about to get one of these because they always come at the exact same location, of which there are about 5.

I felt one beginning to surface the other night and applied a good layer of preparationH. I was amazed in the morning that the swelling was about half as bad as usual! Dont get me wrong. There is still a little bump/swelling, but i know from experience that these ones usually leave me looking disfigured for about a week! I am actually going out tonight. I will feel a little self conscious, although without the preparationH I would most definitely be staying in tonight by myself.

Im not gonna get too excited though. Why? Because I got the same results the very first time i tried Hydrocortisone cream for the first time. Worked like an absolute charm on these very bad swellings bt suddenly became useless! :( Like my skin just got used to it in a matter of days! I was quite upset. Thought id found my miracle cure with the cream.

So, im half expecting the same thing to happen with this.

Quick question: It lists the main ingreadient as witch hazel, but im confused as to how it can have such a strong effect? Ive tried acne products in the past that use witch hazel, that didn't a a thing in combating these deep cystic swellings? ideas?

Edited by flatron

I really want to share this with you all... I was going through the available acne forums on the internet and found that a lot of people have found the honey/cinnamon face mask very helpful. i decided to give it a try as i was really fed up with BP. My whole face had dried up and was itching like crazy. I then gave my face a break from BP and used the honey mask instead. To my surprise, within two days of using the honey mask the 4 stubborn cysts on my cheeks came to a head. I waited patiently till the cysts popped on their own. Now they are nearly gone and only slight bumps remain in their places. Also my face feels much softer now.

I shared this with you all hoping that someone might find this useful.

My routine-

Morning- wash face with a mild face wash and apply a light moisturizer.

Night- wash face with a mild face wash.Mix two teaspoons of honey with three pinches of cinnamon powder.Apply on whole face and leave overnight.

acnevictem, I was in the same boat as you. I suffered with severe cystic acne for 3 years and would get horrible cysts every week. I tried everything like you and would smother myself with BP forever. It helped temporarily but it was only getting worst as time went on. The cysts were huge too and it was such a horrible experience going through college. Cysts would be on my jawline, nose, and between my eyes!!

I was so depress about my skin and heard about accutane. It sounded scary at first but I really wish I went on this medicine years ago. I went on accutane in May 2009 and started out at 40mg. The first month my skin would still break out worst than usual but I still kept taking it. My skin started clearing up slowly. After September, I didn't have any cysts at all and my skin was slowly looking better. My skin still has scars from previous cysts and there is some red but I will appreciate what my skin is right now. I still take accutane but only at 20mg...dosage will vary for each person. I was so confident due to better skin in my last semester of college and wish I took this at the beginning...

Here are some tips if you decide to go on accutane that would make your life alot better...

I'm not trying to be sexist but you're a female and I heard accutane can be different for females. Make sure that you DON'T get pregnant and if you do stop taking it immediately. Moisturize your skin with lotion after taking a bath because you will eventually develop eczema on your arms. Find some good chapstick and always carry it with you!! Don't use the regular Chapstick name brand since that will make your lips worst(in my experience). Blistex medicated lip balm has been my savior when it comes to chapped lips.

If you can't afford it, try searching for generic accutane(Isotretinoin). I notice that you're from India so you won't have an issue finding it. That's where I get my accutane from lol...if you want a link to purchase some then PM me.

Sorry for the long post but I totally related to your experience and I hope accutane can do the same for you

Edited by Sirisdawg1

I am 27 yrs old and am suffering from Cystic acne which stays on my cheeks for ages. I never pop or mess with them but still they take around 2 months to completely go away. They are painful and go deep into the skin and leaves a dark mark after healing. Also they never develop a head and just stays on the skin for ages. I am following the regimen from 1 month but BP seems to have no effect on the cysts. My skin feels tight but there is no effect on the cysts. Please help!!!

try using something that is not so tight for the skin some times some things just no effect on cysts acne i use so much stuff that they just want ur money the key is too make the skin minimize the oil too ok oils wash ur face whit caress exfoliating the new one it orange bwash caress beauty bar the light bar three times whit a washcloth a clean one every time towel too wait three min then use ambi soft & even care whit natual soy beans & vitamin e use twice two clean skin massage in circurlar motions an the marks on the face will leave faster my cystic acne is gone my marks are too two more months ill be clear the elasticty is coming back so try it its over at walmart cvs walgeens my skin looks better after every shower!!!!! tell me how it works i know it will!!!!!! :whistle::clap::dance:

I had no new breakouts for two weeks but today morning I woke up with two new very painful cysts again ;( I never mess with the cysts but they keep on coming in and around the same spots again and again. I mean all new cysts keep on coming on the same area on my right cheek and near the hairline on my left cheek. Other areas are relatively clear. Can anyone tell me why I keep getting them in clusters near the old cysts again and again ;( Even before the old ones get to heal completely new ones seem to come up ;(

I had no new breakouts for two weeks but today morning I woke up with two new very painful cysts again ;( I never mess with the cysts but they keep on coming in and around the same spots again and again. I mean all new cysts keep on coming on the same area on my right cheek and near the hairline on my left cheek. Other areas are relatively clear. Can anyone tell me why I keep getting them in clusters near the old cysts again and again ;( Even before the old ones get to heal completely new ones seem to come up ;(

Actually I already commented on why I believe your breaking out in cystic acne; your lifestyle.

Which includes:

a) your diet

b) your sleep pattern

c) your exercise routine

Most people who suffer from cystic acne past puberty have food intolerances or a sudden hormone imbalance (mainly females) due to a variety of factors, stress being at the top of the list.

Are you under consistent stress?

What is your diet like?

Do you have other symptoms other than acne? Such as migraines, mouth sores, feeling tired?

Everyone keeps on telling you about products or special remedies like cinnamon/honey, BUT unless you find the cause of your acne and make changes to your lifestyle its not going to stop.

And I know Accutane has helped a lot of people, but again MANY MANY MANY people on this board have taken Accutane and cleared up for a few months or even years only to have their acne come back worse than before because they fail to find the source and continue to just treat the symptoms......that's a big mistake!!

Answer the questions above and I can help you out more.

PANIC

Edited by Panic!!

Actually I already commented on why I believe your breaking out in cystic acne; your lifestyle.

Which includes:

a) your diet

b) your sleep pattern

c) your exercise routine

Most people who suffer from cystic acne past puberty have food intolerances or a sudden hormone imbalance (mainly females) due to a variety of factors, stress being at the top of the list.

Are you under consistent stress?

What is your diet like?

Do you have other symptoms other than acne? Such as migraines, mouth sores, feeling tired?

Everyone keeps on telling you about products or special remedies like cinnamon/honey, BUT unless you find the cause of your acne and make changes to your lifestyle its not going to stop.

And I know Accutane has helped a lot of people, but again MANY MANY MANY people on this board have taken Accutane and cleared up for a few months or even years only to have their acne come back worse than before because they fail to find the source and continue to just treat the symptoms......that's a big mistake!!

Answer the questions above and I can help you out more.

PANIC

Yes, I am under some stress in my personal life. Also, my sleeping pattern is irregular. I used to exercise regularly but even then I used to breakout in cysts. Right now I am not exercising at all.

My diet is healthy and I mostly have vegetarian food , rice and fruits. I eat eggs and dairy products but only occasionally have meat. My water intake is also good. I have not really found any pattern between my diet and acne. But definitely found that I breakout more when I dont sleep well. My salt intake is high and I am trying to cut down. Sugar intake is minimum.

Yes, I am under some stress in my personal life. Also, my sleeping pattern is irregular. I used to exercise regularly but even then I used to breakout in cysts. Right now I am not exercising at all.

My diet is healthy and I mostly have vegetarian food , rice and fruits. I eat eggs and dairy products but only occasionally have meat. My water intake is also good. I have not really found any pattern between my diet and acne. But definitely found that I breakout more when I dont sleep well. My salt intake is high and I am trying to cut down. Sugar intake is minimum.

Dairy is a KNOWN cause of acne in many people. Also if you have food sensitivities certain fruits believe it or not can also aggravate your acne, especially if its not organic. While its great to stay hydrated, water intake doesn't have much of an effect on acne. Your skin does always look better when you drink a lot of water though, so keep that up.

I suggest you try and elimination diet. Like I said before, I was also suddenly breaking out in painful cystic acne. I was under a ton of stress and didn't realize at the same time I was sensitive to gluten, dairy, wheat and soy. Once I eliminated those ingredients from my diet I stopped breaking out. I expect to be 100% clear in a month or so.

What kind of carbs are you eating? Tell me what your specifically eating everyday..... then we can find the offending item and help you clear up. But DEFINITELY DITCH THE DAIRY ASAP!!! There are good alternatives like rice milk...

Also what products are you using to wash your face with???

PANIC

Edited by Panic!!

I often hear that stress is the cause, but we just cant eliminate stress can we!? What are we supposed to do?

Can we take pills to stop the stress? If your job is the cause of your stress, you cant just quit your job, lol. Annoys me when i hear the stress theroy, although i kind of do believe it. My skin become PERFECTLY clear when i go on holiday. Maybe a mixture between the sea water, the sunshine, and the lack of stress and worries.

What kind of carbs are you eating? Tell me what your specifically eating everyday..... then we can find the offending item and help you clear up. But DEFINITELY DITCH THE DAIRY ASAP!!! There are good alternatives like rice milk...

PANIC

My diet:

Morning: Brown bread with butter or a cheese spread, eggs, sometimes a cup of milk

Lunch: Rice, vegetables, pulses, salad(cucumber,carrot, tomatoes) , yogurt(not everyday)

Evening Snack: Junk food ...someting spicy like chips or fried pancakes and a glass of juice (orange, sweet lime) or some fruit

Dinner: Rice, vegetables, pulses

I have stopped having tea/coffee. Also my sugar intake is very minimal. Salt in my diet is high which I am trying to cut down.

I wash my face twice a day with a tea tree oil face wash from The Body Shop and use a Alovera/Vitamin E moisturiser. Using a honey mask overnight which helps in reducing the pain and brings the cysts to a head quickly. I have also completey stopped using makeup :( daring to go out bare without covering my horrible skin.

I stopped doing the regimen as my skin got horribly dry and I could see wrinkles starting. So I decided that its better to have acne than to look like a wrinkled old lady :( Also, BP was having no effect at all on my cysts which continued to pain and took months to heal. Please help!!

Edited by acneVictimFor12Yrs

Hmm.....neither of my parents had acne.

Myself and my 3 siblings have had cystic or nodular acne at some point.

We all eat very differently...

I've got to think its hereditary.

PANIC

My diet:

Morning: Brown bread with butter or a cheese spread, eggs, sometimes a cup of milk

Lunch: Rice, vegetables, pulses, salad(cucumber,carrot, tomatoes) , yogurt(not everyday)

Evening Snack: Junk food ...someting spicy like chips or fried pancakes and a glass of juice (orange, sweet lime) or some fruit

Your diet is not good! Eliminate dairy and grains and watch your skin clear up! If you must eat carbs, use brown rice, but not too much. The bulk of your diet should be lean protein and lots of green vegetables like spinach, broccoli, cucumber. Also onions, ginger etc are great for your skin.

Also get rid of the junk food, as well as the juice. You might be sensitive to citrus which causes acne for many other people as well. I don't know what pulses are, so I'll have to get a clarification on that from you....

So to recap: no milk, no bread, no yogurt, no fried pancakes and no juice, drink water.

I have stopped having tea/coffee. Also my sugar intake is very minimal. Salt in my diet is high which I am trying to cut down.

Salt isn't horrible in terms of acne, but you should reduce it for overall good health.

I wash my face twice a day with a tea tree oil face wash from The Body Shop and use a Alovera/Vitamin E moisturiser. Using a honey mask overnight which helps in reducing the pain and brings the cysts to a head quickly. I have also completey stopped using makeup :( daring to go out bare without covering my horrible skin.

Hmmm... many posters have success with Tea Tree Oil while others have bad reactions and break outs. Why not try washing your face simply with water and let your skin recover from all the stuff your putting on it?

I'm going to be honest here: If you REALLY REALLY want to get clear skin, you need to make lifestyle changes. Getting rid of all that food from your diet isn't easy and it takes A LOT of will power, but its a PROVEN way to get clear, just look at how many posters here have got clear from diet changes for evidence.

Otherwise, its kinda pointless to keep asking for help, when you keep putting the acne causing food items into your body every day. Kinda like a fat person who eats like garbage but complains that they can't lose weight. Not saying this is you at all, but just giving you an example.

If you need help with your diet, I'll be more than happy to help.

Good luck

PANIC

I'm going to be honest here: If you REALLY REALLY want to get clear skin, you need to make lifestyle changes. Getting rid of all that food from your diet isn't easy and it takes A LOT of will power, but its a PROVEN way to get clear, just look at how many posters here have got clear from diet changes for evidence.

Otherwise, its kinda pointless to keep asking for help, when you keep putting the acne causing food items into your body every day. Kinda like a fat person who eats like garbage but complains that they can't lose weight. Not saying this is you at all, but just giving you an example.

If you need help with your diet, I'll be more than happy to help.

Good luck

PANIC

Ok.. I agree I am not eating right. I have stopped having dairy products after reading your post and lets see if it helps. But tell me if I should avoide butter as well?

The one thing that will be difficult to avoide is rice as it is the staple food at our end of the world! I have been having it every day since I was 3 :) For the time being I am avoiding dairy and hoping to see if I clear up.

I will be glad if you can help me with this... Panic!!

By the way, one question if u dont mind... Why this nickname Panic???

Ok.. I agree I am not eating right. I have stopped having dairy products after reading your post and lets see if it helps. But tell me if I should avoide butter as well?

The one thing that will be difficult to avoide is rice as it is the staple food at our end of the world! I have been having it every day since I was 3 :) For the time being I am avoiding dairy and hoping to see if I clear up.

I will be glad if you can help me with this... Panic!!

By the way, one question if u dont mind... Why this nickname Panic???

PANIC

My diet:

I stopped doing the regimen as my skin got horribly dry and I could see wrinkles starting. So I decided that its better to have acne than to look like a wrinkled old lady :( Also, BP was having no effect at all on my cysts which continued to pain and took months to heal. Please help!!

No wonder you got cystic acne.. your diet is CYSTIC ACNE PRONED!