Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LoveGreenSmoothies

My MD prescribed me Spiro

I am both excited and scared.

I asked him a bunch of questions. He said he's never seen anyone's K levels go up. He said that will only happen if someone's kidneys or liver are messed up, but that you never know so he will test me in three weeks. He told me I can eat veggies and all the other things I was worried about, but just not like a pound of broccoli in one sitting. He said it shouldn't lower my BP.

He said he's never seen an IB and that that is usually someone whose acne is already getting worse and worse, which is why they decide to go on it at that time. We'll see about this one, because my acne is very mild.

I am still scared I'll have a heart attack or something. :confused:

Yay! Spiro has, thus far, been the best thing I've ever taken. Hopefully you won't regret it (you shouldn't). So many of us on here have used it with great results. My K levels didn't go up either and it hasn't affected my blood pressure at all (I take another medication for that).

What's your starting dosage and when do you see the doctor again to determine whether your dose needs to be adjusted?

Keep us updated!

Hi,

Well my BP is already low, but that's normal for me. I told him about this and he said it shouldn't lower it, because it usually only does that to people in heart failure with a lot of fluid buildup.

He gave me 50 mgs. a day. I am going to start with 25 to see how my body reacts and when I feel comfortable work up to the 50. I'm really scared of all drugs!

I don't know if we'll increase. If I am not clear I guess we will re-evaluate then.

I won't be starting until after the weekend because I plan on drinking this weekend. He said it's ok, but like I said, I am afraid of drugs.

I will keep everyone updated!

That's great. I'm glad to hear you're on it. Just in case you don't know, you might feel drowsy/light headed the first few days, but this is normal. Good luck!

Hi,

Well my BP is already low, but that's normal for me. I told him about this and he said it shouldn't lower it, because it usually only does that to people in heart failure with a lot of fluid buildup.

He gave me 50 mgs. a day. I am going to start with 25 to see how my body reacts and when I feel comfortable work up to the 50. I'm really scared of all drugs!

I don't know if we'll increase. If I am not clear I guess we will re-evaluate then.

I won't be starting until after the weekend because I plan on drinking this weekend. He said it's ok, but like I said, I am afraid of drugs.

So am i, everytime i was prescribed a topical or antibiotic i was always scared to take it lol, i hate drugs too lol. I was prescribed retin a but never used it because of all the horror stories i hear of IB and it taking forever lol.

I know Buke is on it and having great results, but the Spiro for men side effects still scares me to death. I dont want breasts, or not be able to have kids one day or even worse not even able to get it up lol. I forgot the medical terms for all that so forgive me :redface:

I was talking to my mom on the phone about it today of how am keeping it as an possible thought of trying and told her the possible side effects and she was all against me for even thinking about it lol. Sooo idk, its a big risk for males to me, i guess i would just have to hear what my doctor would say on the matter.

That's great. I'm glad to hear you're on it. Just in case you don't know, you might feel drowsy/light headed the first few days, but this is normal. Good luck!

I know. I heard that and I am scared! Thank you.

Hi,

So am i, everytime i was prescribed a topical or antibiotic i was always scared to take it lol, i hate drugs too lol. I was prescribed retin a but never used it because of all the horror stories i hear of IB and it taking forever lol.

I know Buke is on it and having great results, but the Spiro for men side effects still scares me to death. I dont want breasts, or not be able to have kids one day or even worse not even able to get it up lol. I forgot the medical terms for all that so forgive me :redface:

I was talking to my mom on the phone about it today of how am keeping it as an possible thought of trying and told her the possible side effects and she was all against me for even thinking about it lol. Sooo idk, its a big risk for males to me, i guess i would just have to hear what my doctor would say on the matter.

I was this way with everything that was prescribed for me too. It took me forever to give in and take tane and once I did I felt so dumb because not one bad thing happened to me. It was the best skin decision I ever made. Retin a ruined my skin, but it does work for some people -- not many though. I think it's better for people with mild acne and NOT cystic since it brings ev erything up that's buried under the skin.

I don't know what you should do re: spiro. I am a woman and even I am scared to take it. These decisions are never easy.

Have you tried accutane? It was a lifesaver for me.

I know. I heard that and I am scared! Thank you.

Hi,

I was this way with everything that was prescribed for me too. It took me forever to give in and take tane and once I did I felt so dumb because not one bad thing happened to me. It was the best skin decision I ever made. Retin a ruined my skin, but it does work for some people -- not many though. I think it's better for people with mild acne and NOT cystic since it brings ev erything up that's buried under the skin.

I don't know what you should do re: spiro. I am a woman and even I am scared to take it. These decisions are never easy.

Have you tried accutane? It was a lifesaver for me.

Im scared of drugs what do you think? Hahaha, no i havent tried it :P. May i ask if accutane was a life saver for you how come you are going to take spiro? Did your acne come back and if so how long did u stay clear off accutane?

I was clear for four years until I had an ovary removed (hormonal surgery) and then it started to come back. I went right back on tane and it got rid of it right away, but I came off of it early before reaching my cumulative dose because I was tired of it and it's very expensive if you don't have a RX plan. I was scared too, so I went on a very low dose and worked my way up after I saw it wasn't the devil drug people said it was. I am not saying it can't be dangerous but I had no problems whatsoever. I think you get problems when you take a high dose. Low dose in a longer time frame is much safer and has hardly any side effects for most people.

I was torn about whether to just complete my course now or do spiro. I am trying spiro for a few reasons -- low $$$, all the peach fuzz on my face, and I will be able to have scar revision stuff done in 3 months now instead of being set back another 6 months. Also my testosterone levels are at the higher range.

Edited by Anti - Em

I was clear for four years until I had an ovary removed (hormonal surgery) and then it started to come back. I went right back on tane and it got rid of it right away, but I came off of it early before reaching my cumulative dose because I was tired of it and it's very expensive if you don't have a RX plan. I was scared too, so I went on a very low dose and worked my way up after I saw it wasn't the devil drug people said it was. I am not saying it can't be dangerous but I had no problems whatsoever. I think you get problems when you take a high dose. Low dose in a longer time frame is much safer and has hardly any side effects for most people.

I was torn about whether to just complete my course now or do spiro. I am trying spiro for a few reasons -- low $$$, all the peach fuzz on my face, and I will be able to have scar revision stuff done in 3 months now instead of being set back another 6 months. Also my testosterone levels are at the higher range.

Wow that is really good to hear so not even an IB? I guess that would be the smart thing to do is start on a low dose, especially since i dont get acne anywhere else but chin and near mouth and most of the time its mild. I have been watching a lot of accutane logs on youtube and they always give me hope because the transformation of ppl is amazing, just dread the fact that for some you have to take it more than once. :S

I'm actually supposed to start at 50 but I decided to test out 25 to see how I react. I am scared of drugs and do a lower dose on any new drug prescribed me -- just in case I am allergic or something.

If I start spiro, I start at 50mg then after 2 weeks go to 100 mg. Is This quite a high dose to start on? Your start dose of 25 mg seems a bit nicer...

I wouldn't jump to 100 mg after 2 weeks. I've been on 50 mg/day for 3 months and have never been clearer. I think you should stick with 50 for at least 3 months.

Funny story though, I was supposed to go up to 100 mg after my first month of taking it. I thought my derm. gave me 50 mg pills so I'd only need 1 twice a day, but turns out they're only 25 mg so I've still only been taking 50. :whistle: I'll email my derm. and ask her if I should still go up despite being clear. She probably will say no and just wait until she sees me again in a month.

I'm actually supposed to start at 50 but I decided to test out 25 to see how I react. I am scared of drugs and do a lower dose on any new drug prescribed me -- just in case I am allergic or something.

Hey Anti-Em at what dose did you start off and end at on your first course of accutane?

OLD

Edited by Guest
Account was involved in data breach, want all stuff removed

I was wrong. I looked at my RX and it's 50 mgs 2x a day. He said 50 mgs., so I thought he meant 1x a day. I wonder if I can break it in half?? If not, I will take 50mgs one time a day to see what happens.

I heard about tumors but I am not afraid of cancer. I am afraid of heart attacks and strokes.

You have to do what you're comfortable with.

OLD

Edited by Guest
my account was in data breach, I want everything on this site removed.

Yea...does spiro increase the risk of heart attacks, or does the escess of male hormone do this?

Spiro can increase potassium levels in the body which can stop the heart, but this side effect is extremely rare and is only a danger to those with kidney problems already.

jumpstart said:

OLD

Edited by Guest

I am getting my rx in the next few days. There is no rush since I am not taking it till after the weekend. I opted to get the brand name instead of the generic, because I r ead that it's supposed to be more effective. Don't know if this is true or not, but with all the hoopla over trinessa (generic OTC) I figured it's better to be on the safe side. It will cost me $115.62 for 60. So it will last me 2 months until I go up to the full dose of 2 a day. Kind of pricey for when I do that, but I don't want to think I'm not having results from it for that reason if I don't see any results.

I am actually really afraid to take it!!

OLD

Edited by Guest