Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Okay so here's the deal: I'm a college freshman, and my skin has lots of ups and downs. I have smooth skin one day, small pimples all over the next day, and big puss filled ones (the ones that kind of hurt to touch and are really hard not to pop the next day). The one thing that seems to stay consistent for me is the red marks that I have acquired- most likely from the big ones that I can't keep my fingers away from. Naturally this frustrates me to the extreme, but I have recently discovered Apple Cider Vinegar which I do believe is helping this problem slowly but surely. My new problem that I have been having for the past few days though is the fact that I have a bruise under my right eye from an incident that I don't care to explain. It's not that anything beat me up or anything worrisome like that, it merely involves a rather unfortunate incident while dancing. Anyway, the point is I now have a bruise under my eye that looks like an incredibly bad bag under my eye. This makes me feel extra uncomfortable being that I already have a very uneven skin tone, as well as oily skin to the max. I'm wondering if anyone has any good advise on how to 1. get rid of this bruise, or 2. get rid of red spots (keeping in mind that I'm a poor college student).

I'd also like to make mention of two new products that I've been using that I'm not sure are a good thing to use on my face. I use mineral makeup which requires me to moisturize my face before applying the makeup. I recently bought a new moisturizer which I'm not sure is really meant for the face, but I like the feel and sound of it. It's Jergens Naturals Ultra Hydrating lotion which contains jojoba oil and agave. I had heard jojoba oil was good for the skin so i figured it can't be too bad. This brings me to the next thing I'm using on my face. It's called Softsoap Body Butter Coconut Scrub. Naturally, since it say's "body butter" it's assumed that it should only be used on the body, instead of the face, but one day I decided to give it a shot and it made my skin feel very smooth. It also contains jojoba butter extracts as well as crushed coconut. Have any of you guys heard of these products or have opinions on wether or not they are a good idea to use? Any help is greatly appreciated as I'm getting down to my last nerve with this acne business.

couple of things -- go to a dermatologist. and make sure that your your body butter is non-comedogenic !

for red marks you can use differin/retin-a + hydroquinone. which your doctor can prescribe.

Oh I have been seeing a derm. and in fact one of the things he put me on was differin, but I find that the things he gave me are not enough for my skin, so I have resorted to over the counter things as well. I'm currently taking the pill solodyn, with two topical gels: duac and differin. Does differin actually help the redmarks?

Oh I have been seeing a derm. and in fact one of the things he put me on was differin, but I find that the things he gave me are not enough for my skin, so I have resorted to over the counter things as well. I'm currently taking the pill solodyn, with two topical gels: duac and differin. Does differin actually help the redmarks?

how long have you used differin ? yes differin should help to even out in 2-3 months, you can add hydroquinone to that. retin-a is stronger than differin...you can try that too.

(i suspect) you should not put duac and differin in the same place at the same time cause they counteract.

i agree with usacc, retin-a/ differin shud help with red marks and shud help with uneven skin tone. but with all retinol/retin-a type products they take time...a lot of time. differin is a strong retinol and so with first time use, you may find that it will cause redness and peel, plus you may get some purging, especially if you have acne prone skin. if money is an issue, i would stick to using differin. im currently using something called green cream which is an over the counter retinol(or i should say over the internet retinol). ive only been using it for about 6 weeks now, but i have seen some good results. i did have a purging faze, which i think i maybe still getting a little bit. but thats how all retinols work, they increase the rate at which your skin renews its selfs and clears all the blocked pores by forcing all the s**t to come to the surface. my skin has a very un even skin tone and do still get a few spots here and there, but green cream, from what i can see has helped with this. the only down side to green cream is the price. so if your a poor student then its best to use the prescription ones as they will be cheaper, plus they are stronger than green cream. as for the bruise, i think you'll have to let your body heal it in its own time. if anyone asks about it just make out your some bad ass street fighter and say "if think my bruise is bad, then you should see the other guy!!!"

let me know if you have any more questions and good luck

If you want to even your skin tone all you need are two products. Glycolic Acid and Retinol. Alpha Hydrox brand has both of these. Use them daily you will have even skin. I have used them with success.

Thanks for all your help guys. I realize that the differin is helping my red marks. My bruise is still really bad and I feel really uncomfortable since it's right under my eye, but I know there's not much I can do about that. I also just popped one of the big pimples I talked about in my first post- the ones that hurt to touch and are the ones that leave the biggest marks. Im hoping that by tomorrow morning it won't be too bad. Plus it's on the side of my cheek which means I can cover it with my hair. Do you all think apple cider vinegar is a good idea? Oh and should I alternate which days I use differin with the days I use duac? I've been using more of the differin, but now i think i have been acquiring more pimples- I guess the duac really does work. Also, I'm still using the soft soap and the moisturizer I was talking about and I like it. I hope it isn't harming my skin. Thanks again for all your help. I'm really happy I found this site!