Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rachk3315

cost of accutane

can you all please let me know how much your accutane costs? when i was on 40 mgs a day it was 150 dollars and now its 200 dollars at 60 mgs. to me this is outrageous! i hope my derm doesnt up my dose anymore! oh and i have health insurance!! also my weight is 135 so will i max out at 60 mgs a day?

Edited by Rachk3315

Wow that's so expensive with insurance! It can't be because it's brand name right, since Roche stopped producing it right? My health insurance covered the generic brand and I only paid $10 each batch. I can't remember how to figure out the overall dosage but if you search it that will help a lot sorry. Good luck!

Why do you have to pay full price for the medication and you have insurance. I dont have insurance and Im paying the same exact amount as you are!!!

Why do you have to pay full price for the medication and you have insurance. I dont have insurance and Im paying the same exact amount as you are!!!

Really??? I don't have insurance either and I was told it will cost around $300-$400. I will start my course next week. Which state do you live in? Which brand/mg did you purchase?

thanks

Really??? I don't have insurance either and I was told it will cost around $300-$400. I will start my course next week. Which state do you live in? Which brand/mg did you purchase?

thanks

I don't have insurance, on Dec. 14, 2009 my Mom paid $275.00 at Walgreens in KY for 30 40mg. Claravis, we asked how much name brand was and they said over $800.00.

Then on Jan. 14, 2010 my mom paid $477.00 at Walgrens for 60 40mg. Claravis (twice a day).

My derm. said he has to increase ever month for the first 3 or 4 or it doesn't work as well and takes twice as long costing the same in the long run but less effective. He also said the price has gone up a lot over the past few months.

thanks

I don't have insurance, on Dec. 14, 2009 my Mom paid $275.00 at Walgreens in KY for 30 40mg. Claravis, we asked how much name brand was and they said over $800.00.

Then on Jan. 14, 2010 my mom paid $477.00 at Walgrens for 60 40mg. Claravis (twice a day).

My derm. said he has to increase ever month for the first 3 or 4 or it doesn't work as well and takes twice as long costing the same in the long run but less effective. He also said the price has gone up a lot over the past few months.

Plus $80.00 for monthly blood test and $80.00 for monthly derm. visit

Acne is $$$$$$$$$$

My derm visit was $100 USD equivalent but my 360X20mg accutane tablets cost $10 USD equivalent. I live in New Zealand where government subsidises accutane.

Edited by ChakaChaka

Hey Rach,

Is your dermatologist prescribing you 40mg and 20mg pills? I'm currently on Accutane right now and my derm. is prescribing me 3 x 20mg so total would be 60mg per day. I asked her why she didnt give me 40 and 20 and she said that insurance will count that as two separate prescriptions. I only pay 10 dollars for my accutane each time. If you have insurance, it shouldnt cost that much. The reason why the name brand Accutane is no longer available is because they lost their patent right and now generic is widely used. So they dont make money anymore. I would call your insurance company and see what can be done. There are several generic brands so maybe one would be cheaper than the other. Good luck!

Okay, I understand you have insurance, but does your insurance cover isotretinoin (whether it's accutane, claravis, sotret or amnesteem).

I have Anthem Blue Cross PPO and live in california. They do not cover the brand name accutane (most places don't even have it anymore). However, in order for my insurance to cover even the generics, I had to get "pre-authorization" from Blue Cross by pretty much having my doctor call them and say I've had negative pregnancy tests, tried other meds for acne with no success, and am doing a blood test (b/c accutane is costly for insurance companies). So call your insurance company and see if they need any sort of pre-authorization.

Maybe when you went to the pharmacy and they went to run your insurance, it said "not authorized" and thus you had to pay full price.

You can try COSTCO, they seem to have the best prices on generic accutane from what I've seen on the boards. Let us know what happens.

My copay for 30pills of 40mg was $10.

Really expensive

Well that was super helpful....

Anyways, I pay 10$ for my monthly prescription which seems to be the main consensus on the board. It seems ridiculous that you're having to pay so much while you actually have insurance! something sketchy is definitely going on. I feel like you're getting duped! I really really hope you figure out what's going on, and the cost of your prescription goes down.

I have individual insurance from Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Alabama, and had to pay $180 for a month's supply of Claravis at 80 milligrams per day the last time I was at CVS Pharmacy. That does not include the $40 per month co-pays for doctor visits, and the fees that apply to each monthly pregnancy blood test at the lab.

But it's all worth it. My face is completely clear for the first time since I hit puberty. Viva la Accutane! ;)