Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RebeccaDeWinter

Why does my skin always look better after I "binge?"

I somewhat have binge tendencies. They don't classify as binges according to doctors, who say it has to be over 3500 calories. But I could easily emotionally eat an extra 2000 calories in a sitting every now and then. But I've noticed that days after the binge, my skin is always glowing and clear. Any reason this might be? I don't binge on complete garbage, but definitely food that I love. Usually sweet potato fries, NUT BUTTER!!!, dates, honey, wheat toast, hummus, corn tortillas with beans and avocado, chocolate, and daifuku (an wrapped in mochi). I don't eat too little on non-binge days- 2200 calories a day to maintain my weight, which is pretty low (BMI 19)

Edited by RebeccaDeWinter

I somewhat have binge tendencies. They don't classify as binges according to doctors, who say it has to be over 3500 calories. But I could easily emotionally eat an extra 2000 calories in a sitting every now and then. But I've noticed that days after the binge, my skin is always glowing and clear. Any reason this might be? I don't binge on complete garbage, but definitely food that I love. Usually sweet potato fries, NUT BUTTER!!!, dates, honey, wheat toast, hummus, corn tortillas with beans and avocado, chocolate, and daifuku (an wrapped in mochi). I don't eat too little on non-binge days- 2200 calories a day to maintain my weight, which is pretty low (BMI 19)

When we are thin and consciously eat just clean food and little food, our body get used to it and the effect of our healthy eating starts to fade. That's when you throw in a food load, eating as much as you want, enjoying the food delicious food. It's a sort of recharge that has positive effects and kind of rivitalize your body after getting used to more frugal eating.

Maybe you are not getting enough (healthy) fat in your diet on a daily basis. If you are thin, your body especially likes getting these healthy sources of fat such as nut butter and avocados. I am also smaller and my skin and hair look better when integrate some fat into what I'm eating. You may getting the calories you need, but a binge could be triggered because your body wants other nutrients.

Also eating lot of calories in a sitting is not binge eating and it's not unhealthy.

I like to cycle various eating patterns. I alternate eating many times a days with eating two times a day (skipping breakfast) to fasting to eating once a day (Warrior Diet)

The day I eat only my calories at dinner I give my body a revamp.

At night we are in a parasympathetic system mode, so we're more relaxed, more wired for assimilating food and I have provided my body a digestive rest during the day while in a sympathetic mode system and wired for focus and burning fat. After a Warrior day I feel extremely healthy and recharged.

Whatever eating pattern one chooses, I think eating cyclically while listening to our body is the only thing that makes sense. Scheduled long-term diets don't.

Cycling is not healthy, please provide evidence. People who live over 100 years eat the same meals at the same time every day.

Also, our digestive system basically shuts DOWN at night, as you prepare for sleep and it gets ready to do other stuff, it doesn't want a chicken salad shoved into it. Night is certainly not an "ideal" time to eat, let alone a good one. Please stop making up crap, it's dangerous to any naive soul who happens to be reading. I'd gladly be proven wrong though if you DO know what you're talking about.

Maybe you are not getting enough (healthy) fat in your diet on a daily basis. If you are thin, your body especially likes getting these healthy sources of fat such as nut butter and avocados. I am also smaller and my skin and hair look better when integrate some fat into what I'm eating. You may getting the calories you need, but a binge could be triggered because your body wants other nutrients.

I think I get enough, around 30-35% of my calories. And it's all healthy fat, mostly olive oil and fish. I'm pretty certain that my binges are emotional rather than physical

Do you binge during the day at the same times you would normally eat or just before bed?

anytime I have the urge and there is no one around