Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LocalMack

Epiduo, Clindamycin, & Duac - My Log

Hi all,

I'm a 24-year-old female, living and going to law school in New York City. I developed acne around the age of 21, and it was mostly small and comedonal. After staying completely clear for 2 years with ProActiv, I began breaking out last October with very large, very painful pustules on my outer cheeks, which left me with bad PIH. This would usually be post-menstrual, and the ability to predict when I was going to break out with these horrible buggers became maddening.

I've been (happily) on OrthoTriCyclen for about 6 years, and use Purpose Moisturizer, which I love.

My derm prescribed the following regimen for me:

Morning:

Wash with Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Facial Cleanser

Apply Clindamycin lotion

Spot treat with Duac if needed

Moisturize

Evening:

Wash with Neutrogene Fresh Foaming Facial Cleanser

Apply Epiduo

Spot treat with Duac if needed

Moisturize

I'm starting this log a little late, but there's no better time like the present. I've never used a retinoid (or clindamycin) before, but obviously through ProActiv I'm very familiar with BP. I'm mid-way through my 5th week on this regimen, and thus far I am loving it. I haven't had any of the huge, painful zits since I started. A few comedones came to a head, and I easily extracted them (I have one of those blemish extractors from Sephora. Try not to use it too often, but I go to class and have a boyfriend, and I'm not going to walk around with a giant white zit on my cheek).

Last week was my period; typically on the following week, I would develop some of those paaaaainful zits that would turn the entire area around them red - thus making me look like I was punched in the face. I am happy to report that I've had none so far. I keep waking up in the morning and rushing to the mirror, only to sigh happily in relief. This also means that I haven't had to use my Duac in a few weeks!

I haven't had any irritation with the Epiduo. I'm careful to only use a pea-sized amount, and although it feels weird going on, I haven't turned red or anything. I also like how smoothly the Clindamycin goes on. I do get a little greasy later on in the day, but it almost looks more like a healthy glow.

Right now I have a few scattered comedones in my T-zone, but nothing red, and nothing that isn't easily concealed with light foundation. I even started wearing blush again recently, whereas before I was hesitant to put any makeup on my acne-prone areas.

Hope this provides ample background. I'll update this as my condition changes!

Edited by LocalMack

I don't have the deep pimples too often so my derm is holding off on prescribing any anti-biotics, but I just started the Epiduo yesterday. I'm also early 20s and was recently using Pro Activ and I'm currently dealing with the scarring as well so I will definitely be watching your progress. Congrats with the improvement thus far :)

Finishing out my sixth week this Wednesday. I haven't had any of the huge, painful pimples since the day I started this regimen. My last "noticeable" zit (ie with a head) was about 2 1/2 weeks ago, and I haven't used the Duac since that cleared up. The only change I've noticed recently is a small increase in comedones on my forehead. Luckily, nothing red or noticeable, and very easily covered by foundation!

Still breaking out on my forehead. Very few red comedones, but I'm annoyed by the increase. Luckily, nothing leaving marks on my face.

Eight weeks in. The comedones on my forehead seem to be going away! I also got two "spots" in the areas where I used to get the huge, knobby painful pimples. Of course I was worried, but stuck with the routine. They never got inflamed/came to a head! They stuck around for about three days and are rapidly receding. Very weird to see my skin behaving so well!

Coming up on Week 10, and while my forehead has cleared up, I'm breaking out on my right cheek. This has traditionally been my problem area, but after so much success I'm really disheartened by yet ANOTHER breakout. One largeish one, most of the rest are small comedones.

Today marks my 3-month anniversary, and I couldn't be more pleased! The large one on my right cheek went down and, instead of coming to a huge, unsightly head and/or leaving a mark, it simply dried up and the plug fell out.

The major change is that my t-zone has little comedones. However, these areas never scar for me, and my cheeks have been mostly clear. This is really wonderful - I'm basically back where I was around age 20. These are comedones that will be a little red after I wash my face, but will be far, far less noticeable soon after. Easily covered with a light layer of foundation.

I do get a hormonal zit or two, but again, it always dries up, and it's never one of those big, under-the-skin ones like I got back in November/December. Yay!

Edited by LocalMack

hey congrats on the good results!!!

just wondering how long did you have to wait to see improvements on your skin after u started epiduo?

im currently on day 7 of epiduo+doxycycline and i cant say that i am seeing improvements yet! and im so frustrated =(

hey congrats on the good results!!!

just wondering how long did you have to wait to see improvements on your skin after u started epiduo?

im currently on day 7 of epiduo+doxycycline and i cant say that i am seeing improvements yet! and im so frustrated =(

Hi Michellejayc!

I'm not sure I would say I "saw results" immediately, but I haven't gotten one of the crazy painful nodules I had been getting previously once I started using Epiduo - which for me was what I was hoping for. As for "smoothness" and fading of red marks, it took me about two months to notice what was happening. Hang in there! If you're not having an adverse reaction to it, give it a few more weeks and track your progress!

Edited by LocalMack

glad to hear those results, i am starting week 6 and still feel like it is not working much.

but i will stick with it.

Hey I am on week 4 of using clindamycin phospate lotion and epiduo.

morning: wash face, dry face, apply clindamycin

evening: wash face, dry face, apply epiduo

I am on week 4, my face feels really greasy after I apply clindamycin. My face is red. I have a lot of pimples on my forehead (about 40) left cheek ( about 15) right cheek ( 10 small pimples and little tiny bumps around it) my chin ( about 60)

I have a question: how bad was your breakout? How long did it last? And when did it start going away! THanks! CONGRATS with the good results!