Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm on a candida diet. There's a lot of controversial info about tomatoes. Should I start eating tomatoes again? I don't think nightshades break me out.

I tried giving up tomatoes and (and other nightshades) while on paleo and did not make a difference for me. You are different and might react different. If you don't suspect them, I wouldn't cut it out since your food choices are so limited (I am on anti-candida too). If you see the other threads related to candida they do no mention cutting tomatoes or bell peppers.

I'm on this diet as well and still eat tomatoes. I read somewhere that it's ok to eat them raw but not cooked. There's a lot of conflicting info out there so I just eat them in moderation.

I tried giving up tomatoes and (and other nightshades) while on paleo and did not make a difference for me. You are different and might react different. If you don't suspect them, I wouldn't cut it out since your food choices are so limited (I am on anti-candida too). If you see the other threads related to candida they do no mention cutting tomatoes or bell peppers.

I've heard of cutting tomatoes, but not bell peppers?

Tomatoes are typically advised against according to some people because of the acid content. Apparently, acidic environments make it easier for the candida to flourish and tomatoes contribute to this type of environment.

I eat tomatoes - I just don't eat tons of them. I also have been eating the hell out of green,yellow and red peppers and haven't had any adverse reactions to them, so I'm not sure why those are excluded

I'm on this diet as well and still eat tomatoes. I read somewhere that it's ok to eat them raw but not cooked. There's a lot of conflicting info out there so I just eat them in moderation.

It is much easier to get the nutrients, such as lypocene, by cooking tomatoes.

Makes it easier to absorb but regarding an anti candida diet im not sure

I've heard of cutting tomatoes, but not bell peppers?

Tomatoes are typically advised against according to some people because of the acid content. Apparently, acidic environments make it easier for the candida to flourish and tomatoes contribute to this type of environment.

I eat tomatoes - I just don't eat tons of them. I also have been eating the hell out of green,yellow and red peppers and haven't had any adverse reactions to them, so I'm not sure why those are excluded

many avoid tomatoes because they belong to a family of plants called nightshades (solanaceae). Nightshades contain substances that can produce inflammation and other problems in some. Bell peppers, tomatoes, and potatoes (only white and the like, not sweet potatoes, they belong to another family) are the most common nightshades.

As far as cooking, why wouldn't you cook them? I don't see the problem in an anti-candida diet but maybe I am missing something.

Edited by venam