Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mikeua

Mike's Accutane Log

Hey guys, my name is Mike. This is my first post.

A little bit about me...I am a competitive natural bodybuilder, 20 years old, presently in my junior year in college.

I have dealt with acne since high school. I have been on just about every antibiotic, pill, cream, done ever laser treatment, chemical peels, hollistic approaches....you name it, I did it. Nothing has worked so after shuffling my feet for so many years about Accutane, I finally gave in.

I will be starting on 60mg and increasing the dose under doctor's supervision for a period of 5-6 months.

This will be a good way to keep tabs on my progress, feelings, etc.

I also look forward to meeting some of you all on these message boards!

DAY 1

Not much to say here. Started off with my 30mg at breakfast and I will follow up with another 30mg at dinner.

Edit: Just got done working out and I see a few new pimples forming...when does the initial breakout start? After the first dose??

I will be getting some pics up as well so stay tuned.

- Mike

Edited by mikeua

DAY 2

Forehead is having an acne party...cheeks have 2 new cysts which are quite painful. Could be experiencing the initial breakout...

any advice on how to combat some of the inflammation from the initial breakout??

You're going to love Accutane. Its a miracle drug. Just hang in there while it does its thing. Keep moisturized.

Welcome!

It's possible that you're already breaking out from the accutane, or it could just be a normal breakout for you. The IB arrives and leaves at different times for everybody, so it's hard to say. I'm on about Day 15 and I started breaking out around Day 11ish. Hopefully the IB won't last too long!

Good luck!

You're going to love Accutane. Its a miracle drug. Just hang in there while it does its thing. Keep moisturized.

Thanks thorn!

Welcome!

It's possible that you're already breaking out from the accutane, or it could just be a normal breakout for you. The IB arrives and leaves at different times for everybody, so it's hard to say. I'm on about Day 15 and I started breaking out around Day 11ish. Hopefully the IB won't last too long!

Good luck!

Thanks NYgirl!

Little update...

Not much to note here. On day 4 of the treatment so I will chime in later this week with an update!

Good luck with the accutane. Breakout probably lastst 1 to 2 weeks (it did for me) until yous smooth sailing. Don't foget to use sunscreen everywhere! You might feel a bit lethargic on it, so your attempts at weight lifting (or whatever you do) might not be up to par. If you're using whey protein or some kind of body building supplement, make sure it doesn't contain vitamin A (beta carotene is okay though).

Good luck with the accutane. Breakout probably lastst 1 to 2 weeks (it did for me) until yous smooth sailing. Don't foget to use sunscreen everywhere! You might feel a bit lethargic on it, so your attempts at weight lifting (or whatever you do) might not be up to par. If you're using whey protein or some kind of body building supplement, make sure it doesn't contain vitamin A (beta carotene is okay though).

Thanks umbrae :)

I believe the initial breakout is still going on, but has subsided tremendously...forehead is no longer breaking out and I am getting a few new cysts in places I never had acne before (underneath eyebrows, nose, in between eyebrows)...can't wait for smooth sailing!

As far as the supplements, I am only using 100% whey protein isolate and it has no vitamin A. I no longer take a multi vitamin (due to the vit A content). :)

I will chime in later this week with some more updates and try to get some pictures up here.

mike

Little update

Been 1 week since I started treatment and recently I have been getting these dull headaches that come and go from time to time. Lips are starting to chap and skin has become more oily. Still breaking out everywhere on my face. Gotta hang in there :cool:

Not much going on except dry lips and hands! Forehead seems to be clearing up a bit. Maybe the initial breakout is starting to subside. I will get some pics up this weekend along with another update.

- mike

It's been about 17 days now. Cracked lips (using aquafor like crazy) and dryness is very noticeable. Feeling a bit lethargic at times but that's it so far. Forehead is about 90% clear which is a big improvement since I started treatment but cheeks are still covered. Just got to give it some more time. Took some pics over the weekend and will get around to posting them when I get a chance.

It's been about 17 days now. Cracked lips (using aquafor like crazy) and dryness is very noticeable. Feeling a bit lethargic at times but that's it so far. Forehead is about 90% clear which is a big improvement since I started treatment but cheeks are still covered. Just got to give it some more time. Took some pics over the weekend and will get around to posting them when I get a chance.

My man, like everyone says keep it strong. We are the same age both male im almost done with my course thought I'd share a few things. First I tried numerous chapsticks. While Aquafor is nice, I think carmex really does wonders. It hydrates for much longer plus you can get it with spf 15. Cetaphil is a must for later in your treatment. Right now I noticed you said your skin is oily(its purgin soon you wont have adrop) try Olay they have numerous types with several on the lighter side. Drink as much water as you can swallow, so worth it, youll avoid the dry eyes and nose for the most part.

Since your in college you may or may not drink, its been my experience to find its no big deal at all. Seriously, people freak out about it on here. Stay fit sound like you are but dont shy away just because of tane. my tests have been flawless

Hey Mike,

I am on day 32 of 60mg (I'm staying on 60mg for 4 months, then finishing with 80mg the last month). Let me tell you that I started seeing improvement in the last weeks or so. For the first month, my skin would be really bad, then okay, then bad, then okay, then really bad... so on. But not I'm only breaking out very little, and everything else is healing up. It still looks like I have terrible acne all over the sides of my face and forehead, but it is mostly just healing red marks. Hopefully those clear soon. Anyways good luck, and keep us all posted on how it is going. Here is to clear skin, good luck!

Kevin

My man, like everyone says keep it strong. We are the same age both male im almost done with my course thought I'd share a few things. First I tried numerous chapsticks. While Aquafor is nice, I think carmex really does wonders. It hydrates for much longer plus you can get it with spf 15. Cetaphil is a must for later in your treatment. Right now I noticed you said your skin is oily(its purgin soon you wont have adrop) try Olay they have numerous types with several on the lighter side. Drink as much water as you can swallow, so worth it, youll avoid the dry eyes and nose for the most part.

Since your in college you may or may not drink, its been my experience to find its no big deal at all. Seriously, people freak out about it on here. Stay fit sound like you are but dont shy away just because of tane. my tests have been flawless

Thanks for the tips!

Hey Mike,

I am on day 32 of 60mg (I'm staying on 60mg for 4 months, then finishing with 80mg the last month). Let me tell you that I started seeing improvement in the last weeks or so. For the first month, my skin would be really bad, then okay, then bad, then okay, then really bad... so on. But not I'm only breaking out very little, and everything else is healing up. It still looks like I have terrible acne all over the sides of my face and forehead, but it is mostly just healing red marks. Hopefully those clear soon. Anyways good luck, and keep us all posted on how it is going. Here is to clear skin, good luck!

Kevin

Glad to know someone out there is in the same boat. Thanks for following Kevin and link me with your log on here if you have one.

Hey Guys, have my followup appointment this upcoming Thursday (11th) and probably going to get bumped up to 80mg. Today is a bad day for my face...very red and inflamed...a few new postules. It's funny because just over the weekend, it looked great and I got some comments on it...but now the acne is back...guess that's how accutane works...haven't been in the gym for about 4 days as this is my planned week off from training. the extra rest is doing my body some good, especially with a busy week of school and exams. Thanks for reading everyone and I will update Thursday.

mike

Had my follow up today.

Things went well, still at 60mg.

1 month already slashed in the accutane journey, 5 more to go!

Been awhile since the last update.

Was really clear a week ago and then this past week my left side has been having a party with zits. Forehead remains clear, which is great. Right side I have like one or two "healing acne cysts" and it's just my left side that is atrocious.

Everything else is going great, just gotta hang in there.

mike

Hey everyone, things are still going smoothly. Labs are coming back good and my face is getting better and better each and every day. Lips are still cracked and bleeding. Also my skin is very itchy at times and my scalp is dry a good bit of the time. My left shoulder has been a bit achy, but nothing to hold me back from my training. So far so good guys. Let's keep rolling. I cannot believe almost 2 months have flown by already!

- mike

Things are good. Have a few new pimples that popped up but they are "healing acne" and not inflamed...

Going for my follow up next week. Flying by.

Things still sailing smoothly. Hectic week so I had a few recent flare ups. Lips are cracked and bloody...using Doctor Dan's like crazy...tomorrow marks 8 weeks.

It seems like we are going through the same things, even though I am on day 16 now. My face starts to clear up, and then it gets horrible the next day and that just keeps happening over and over. Right now i have like 10 pimples on my face and feel horrible. Good luck with your accutane journey!

Haven't updated this thing in a long time.

Acne is 95% clear now. Minor scarring left but all cysts, knock on wood, are gone. I am done with the tane as of next week. Sides to note: extremely dry lips, eyes, nose bleeds, and lower back pain. This past week I have also developed a really bad phlegmy cough...could or could not be related to Accutane. Also had a few bouts with dry skin and eczema but otherwise, things have been great.

If you are ever on the fence about this drug and have tried EVERYTHING, really consider Accutane...nothing and I mean NOTHING worked for me like Accutane. I did the lights, chemical peels, acid treatments, all the pills, creams, diets, and nothing ever worked. Hopefully I can maintain these results and carry on.

Thanks for following everyone.

Mike