Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
khagema1

What Is the Difference Between...

I know that all all acne is somewhat the cause of a hormonal problem, but what is the difference between hormonal acne and the other type of acne, whatever it's called? Is it just like, bacterial acne or something? I'm so confused.

Can someone please help me out?

ok. Hormones and bacteria together is what causes acne. When too much testosterone(male hormone) is converted into DHT(dihydrotestosterone), this causes your pores to build up all kinds of oil. The oil is very sticky. Everybody has bacteria acne on their skin. The only reson some get acne is because all that oil traps the bacteria, causing inflammation. The bacteria feeds off of the oil, and multiplys. If the oil is on your face, you will get acne. Once again that oil is produced from too much hormone. That same hormone, DHT, is the main cause of male hair loss. It also does good thing like make muscles grow, gives energy, ect. Hormones can become unbalanced for a number of reasons...

ok. Hormones and bacteria together is what causes acne. When too much testosterone(male hormone) is converted into DHT(dihydrotestosterone), this causes your pores to build up all kinds of oil. The oil is very sticky. Everybody has bacteria acne on their skin. The only reson some get acne is because all that oil traps the bacteria, causing inflammation. The bacteria feeds off of the oil, and multiplys. If the oil is on your face, you will get acne. Once again that oil is produced from too much hormone. That same hormone, DHT, is the main cause of male hair loss. It also does good thing like make muscles grow, gives energy, ect. Hormones can become unbalanced for a number of reasons...

So in that case, you mean everyone gets hormonal acne? I'm sorry, I know I must sound like a total ditz. I just don't understand why some dermatologists rule out some people's acne problem as "hormonal".

There still isn't hard evidence of what causes acne. Most doctors feel this is the underlying problem. The thing is, a lot of stuff can cause hormone changes. Some animals are given steroids to put more meat on them, so some of those hormones are in the food you eat. If your thyroid gland is over or underactive that can cause hormone changes. Hormone changes is the only consistent evidence to the cause of acne. I don't know why all derms don't try this. Until there is hard evidence that there is another reason, I will keep saying thhat this is the cause of acne.

There still isn't hard evidence of what causes acne. Most doctors feel this is the underlying problem. The thing is, a lot of stuff can cause hormone changes. Some animals are given steroids to put more meat on them, so some of those hormones are in the food you eat. If your thyroid gland is over or underactive that can cause hormone changes. Hormone changes is the only consistent evidence to the cause of acne. I don't know why all derms don't try this. Until there is hard evidence that there is another reason, I will keep saying thhat this is the cause of acne.

Also stress, and chocolate. Lots of sugar causes acne too, lol. Also if your horomones are unstable, it causes acne. And other problems for women :P But, I think almost everrryything causes acne.

Stress may aggreviate acne... Chocolate has never been proven to cause acne, that's a big myth. Menstrual cycles alter hormones, which may cause acne.

In Dr. Geoffrey Redmond's book, "The Hormonally Vulnerable Woman" he states that ALL acne is hormonal. He is the spiro guru. I first read his book when researching the possibility of acne treatment with hormonal control.

In Dr. Geoffrey Redmond's book, "The Hormonally Vulnerable Woman" he states that ALL acne is hormonal. He is the spiro guru. I first read his book when researching the possibility of acne treatment with hormonal control.

I totally agree with Dr. Geoffrey.

In absolutely no way am I saying you're wrong; I think Dr. Geoffrey has the most logical answer. If all acne is hormonal, though, how come not all people are cured with hormonal treatment? Even though Spironolactone has a high percentage rate, especially when used with a BCP (I believe the success rate is 85%), there is still that 15% of women that don't get cured. I don't know, though. Maybe they just need a different hormonal treatment.

What is the success rate for Spironolactone anyway? Does 85% seem right? That's what I read, and I hope it's right...

Edited by khagema1

I do remember reading somewhere that you need to get your hormones tested to see which ones are out of whack. Because if you take medicine to cure a hormone, what if that's not the hormone causing the problem? When I was reading reviews, it seems like it helps about 85% of people on here. Some of those 15% only took it for a month or 2 then decided it's not working... You say 15% of women don't get cleared? What about guys? I'm a guy, it cleared me.

I do remember reading somewhere that you need to get your hormones tested to see which ones are out of whack. Because if you take medicine to cure a hormone, what if that's not the hormone causing the problem? When I was reading reviews, it seems like it helps about 85% of people on here. Some of those 15% only took it for a month or 2 then decided it's not working... You say 15% of women don't get cleared? What about guys? I'm a guy, it cleared me.

Buke you used spiro for you hormonal acne????? Omg this is what i have been trying to stop FOREVER, is my constant never stopping chin acne and was always told it was hormonal when i asked on the forums here. I have never had my horomones tested though because my Dr of course always shrugged it off as it wasnt the case.

I have tried to research hormonal chin acne for males and never see anything on how to treat males, just BCP/Spiro for women. Did you have chin acne?

Ya I did, but hormonal acne doesn't just have to be on the chin. It can be the whole face, neck, chest, shoulders... If you have an oily face, that's a very big sign you have hormonal acne.

Ya I did, but hormonal acne doesn't just have to be on the chin. It can be the whole face, neck, chest, shoulders... If you have an oily face, that's a very big sign you have hormonal acne.

Wow, everything i read it says men should not take it so thats why i asked and always wanted to ask my dr about it but didnt want him to look at me like im crazy.

Did you have the side effect oh the enlargement of your breasts? That scares me def dont want that lol, if not were there any side effect for you? How long were u on it or are u still taking it?

My skin starts off dry and flaky after shower and i moisturize, but during the day my face continues to get oily, especially my hair. If i dont wash my hair every 12hours it is very oily. I understand horomonal acne can be anywhere but a lot of ppl state if its mainly dominant on chin, it is a hormonal problem.

Wow, everything i read it says men should not take it so thats why i asked and always wanted to ask my dr about it but didnt want him to look at me like im crazy.

Did you have the side effect oh the enlargement of your breasts? That scares me def dont want that lol, if not were there any side effect for you? How long were u on it or are u still taking it?

My skin starts off dry and flaky after shower and i moisturize, but during the day my face continues to get oily, especially my hair. If i dont wash my hair every 12hours it is very oily. I understand horomonal acne can be anywhere but a lot of ppl state if its mainly dominant on chin, it is a hormonal problem.

Ya I could see why you were hesitant to ask your derm. I was reading somewhere that gynocomestia(male breasts) from spiro. There was a test in 9 men that were taking 400 mg of spiro a day for 1 year. Now 400 mg a day is crazy talk. Your derm would probably start you off on 25 mg, and slowly move up to 100. Now 6 of those 9 men experienced gynocomestia after 1 year. Now if you were taking 100 mg, I woulld think you can go 3-4 years without developing it. The more you work out, especially your chest may help prevent it. It does sound like you have a hormone issue. They might want to start you on antibiotics...Were you ever on them? I forgot, I'm 20 and I've been on spiro for about 3 months. The side effects I'm experiencing are impaired thinking and reactions. It feels like I'm taking this to get a buzz.

Edited by Buke

Ya I could see why you were hesitant to ask your derm. I was reading somewhere that gynocomestia(male breasts) from spiro. There was a test in 9 men that were taking 400 mg of spiro a day for 1 year. Now 400 mg a day is crazy talk. Your derm would probably start you off on 25 mg, and slowly move up to 100. Now 6 of those 9 men experienced gynocomestia after 1 year. Now if you were taking 100 mg, I woulld think you can go 3-4 years without developing it. The more you work out, especially your chest may help prevent it. It does sound like you have a hormone issue. They might want to start you on antibiotics...Were you ever on them?

Yes i was put on mino last year, 100mg a day, and i was acne free for about the first month, but then my acne came back on chin and mino had no effect, i took mino for about 6 months longer in hopes that it would stop it again but it never did so i stopped taking it.

So what dosage did you take and for how long? You didnt have gynocomestia did you? Are you clear?

That's what happened to me, I was on many different antibiotics, but they always stopped working. That's because the bacteria builds up resistance to the pill. So I realized it is the oil causing the bacteria to stay trapped, if I can get rid of the oil, the bacteria will die on its own. Most people get an initial breakout with spiro, I got one. I didn't really notice the IB because I was put on a new antibiotic from the start. It sounds like you have a very similar problem to what I have. I stopped taking the antibiotic, and my face got even clearer... Spiro worked great for me. I started off on 25 mg and now I'm on 100. I wont go any higher, and after a while I'm gonna slowly move back down to 50 maybe 25 mg a day

Edited by Buke

That's what happened to me, I was on many different antibiotics, but they always stopped working. That's because the bacteria builds up resistance to the pill. So I realized it is the oil causing the bacteria to stay trapped, if I can get rid of the oil, the bacteria will die on its own. Most people get an initial breakout with spiro, I got one. I didn't really notice the IB because I was put on a new antibiotic from the start. It sounds like you have a very similar problem to what I have. I stopped taking the antibiotic, and my face got even clearer... Spiro worked great for me. I started off on 25 mg and now I'm on 100. I wont go any higher, and after a while I'm gonna slowly move back down to 50 maybe 25 mg a day

So no side effects of gysto, just an IB?

Ya i know one way to stop the oil production, and thats the dreaded accutane and i would take accutane if i knew 100% sure my acne would never come back, but i dont want to be one of those to take multiple courses with all the other serious side effects. I just know i got to stop this oil production throughout the day causing my whiteheads and cystic acne.

Ya i know one way to stop the oil production, and thats the dreaded accutane and i would take accutane if i knew 100% sure my acne would never come back, but i dont want to be one of those to take multiple courses with all the other serious side effects. I just know i got to stop this oil production throughout the day causing my whiteheads and cystic acne.

I only got an IB, and impaired thinking and reactions. I feel like I'm high, have a buzz. I'm Not experiencing man boobs. The reason why acne usually comes back after tane is because it's a hormone issue. That's why I say try this, and if your not clear after 6 months, go to accutane. You should clear at ike the 3rd-4th month. I get spiro for $4 a month at giant eagle. Accutane costs $250-$1000 a month. What you've told me, it seems like spiro will clear you. I'm gonna stay on spiro for a while yet(1 year or so), so I'll keep you posted and let you know if any other side effects come.

I only got an IB, and impaired thinking and reactions. I feel like I'm high, have a buzz. I'm Not experiencing man boobs. The reason why acne usually comes back after tane is because it's a hormone issue. That's why I say try this, and if your not clear after 6 months, go to accutane. You should clear at ike the 3rd-4th month. I get spiro for $4 a month at giant eagle. Accutane costs $250-$1000 a month. What you've told me, it seems like spiro will clear you. I'm gonna stay on spiro for a while yet(1 year or so), so I'll keep you posted and let you know if any other side effects come.

Cool man thanks for the info;) Was your acne all over and how bad would you say it was compared to now? I am in the military so i am going to have to get this rx to me. Please do let me know how it goes for you. I am so ready to get rid of this shit and tired of my chin being a breeding pool of bacteria and pimples all the time.

Cool man thanks for the info;) Was your acne all over and how bad would you say it was compared to now? I am in the military so i am going to have to get this rx to me. Please do let me know how it goes for you. I am so ready to get rid of this shit and tired of my chin being a breeding pool of bacteria and pimples all the time.

umm My acne on my face was bad. Not severe, but close to it. I had a lot of white heads and cystic acne. It was also on my upper/mid front part of neck. I had some on my chest and shoulders as well. These weren't as bad as my face. Now my face is almost completely clear, and only getting better. I'm not on an antibiotic anymore. My neck, chest, and back acne is completely gone. I've only been on it for 3 months. I heard that it only keeps getting better. I'm not sure if they will prescribe it to you in the military. I know they're very strickt, because i was gonna join. They might not give it to you because it may make you drowsy, confused, ect. Actually i forget if that's just for boot camp, or what...? If you can't get it, ask for one of these antibiotics. Doxycycline, Bactrim, Ciprofloxacin, Ampicillin/Amoxicillin. These are the best antibiotics for acne. Good Luck man.

umm My acne on my face was bad. Not severe, but close to it. I had a lot of white heads and cystic acne. It was also on my upper/mid front part of neck. I had some on my chest and shoulders as well. These weren't as bad as my face. Now my face is almost completely clear, and only getting better. I'm not on an antibiotic anymore. My neck, chest, and back acne is completely gone. I've only been on it for 3 months. I heard that it only keeps getting better. I'm not sure if they will prescribe it to you in the military. I know they're very strickt, because i was gonna join. They might not give it to you because it may make you drowsy, confused, ect. Actually i forget if that's just for boot camp, or what...? If you can't get it, ask for one of these antibiotics. Doxycycline, Bactrim, Ciprofloxacin, Ampicillin/Amoxicillin. These are the best antibiotics for acne. Good Luck man.

Hmmm thought mino was just like doxy.

It's in the same family, but they're different. Just like ampicillin and amoxicillin. These are in the same family and very closely related. Ampicillin stopped working for me, then I started taking amoxicillin, and it worked. If you don't feel comfertable, go with any other I mentioned...