Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dwarf1579

When will my initial breakout stop!?

I really don't even know if its the accutane causing more breakouts or if its just me... but I seem to be getting alot of white heads and more cysts. I have noticed my face has started to get really dry and flaky, so I have been using moisturizer. My face has also gotten more red. I am on 40mg and I just took my 8th pill. I am 145pounds.

Please tell me when these effects will end!

The initial breakout is completely normal, and in fact mostly everyone that takes accutane experiences it. The length of time it will last is something that varies from person to person. It could last only a couple weeks, a month, it all depends. Your just going to have to wait it out and see, but hang in there.

For me, I did have somewhat of an initial breakout but instead my complexion improved/worsened in waves. One week I would be very clear and the next I would breakout. I think ive gotten out of this stage though as I havent really gotten any pimples for almost a couple weeks now. Also, my face isnt even dry yet!!! but my pimples are starting to dry up more effectively and quicker.

The initial breakout is completely normal, and in fact mostly everyone that takes accutane experiences it. The length of time it will last is something that varies from person to person. It could last only a couple weeks, a month, it all depends. Your just going to have to wait it out and see, but hang in there.

For me, I did have somewhat of an initial breakout but instead my complexion improved/worsened in waves. One week I would be very clear and the next I would breakout. I think ive gotten out of this stage though as I havent really gotten any pimples for almost a couple weeks now. Also, my face isnt even dry yet!!! but my pimples are starting to dry up more effectively and quicker.

Thanks for your response.

When people use the word 'clear' does it mean all your acne is gone and there are no more red marks? And can somebody explain to me what the meaning of 'active acne' is please?

I also really think that my acne is much more severe than anybody's I've ever seen on the site. I honestly think I'm a special case.

Edited by dwarf1579

Active acne is new formed acne that's still coming to a head or whatnot. Like marks and scabs are healing acne. Hopefully that makes sense...

Hang in there. Everything will get better. :)

Could you post pictures?

Edited by HereComesTheSun:)

Active acne is new formed acne that's still coming to a head or whatnot. Like marks and scabs are healing acne. Hopefully that makes sense...

Hang in there. Everything will get better. :)

Could you post pictures?

Thank you for trying to clarify, but I think you forgot to define 'clear'

I'll post some pictures later on.

Here are pictures that I just took. Please let me know if you've had even come close to having this severe case of acne. I know the quality isn't that great, but its because I took the photo with my laptop web camera. If requested I will get a better quality digital camera and retake the photos.

post-118749-1263595001_thumb.jpg

post-118749-1263595007_thumb.jpg

post-118749-1263595001_thumb.jpg

post-118749-1263595007_thumb.jpg

Edited by dwarf1579

Hi! If you're nervous you should call your derm and tell him that you're not sure if your skin is reacting well to the drug and that you want to come into the office. I'm not sure what your skin looked like before you started taking the pills, but it's always best to get your doctor's opinion!

Also, if it turns out to be a normal initial breakout then your derm can probably inject some of your cysts.

Okay firstly when they say "clear", they mean no more active acne. You will however more than likely still have red marks and if you touch it scars. IMO, after looking at your pictures, I'm afraid you are having an allergic reaction to the Accutane and I would stop immediately. I saw a similiar case on youtube and the dude was Asian also. How much worse has it gotten becuase to be quite frank that doesn't look like a normal IB. I don't mean to freak you out though!

Hi! If you're nervous you should call your derm and tell him that you're not sure if your skin is reacting well to the drug and that you want to come into the office. I'm not sure what your skin looked like before you started taking the pills, but it's always best to get your doctor's opinion!

Also, if it turns out to be a normal initial breakout then your derm can probably inject some of your cysts.

It pretty much hasn't changed much, but I just got a few more whiteheads and about 3 large cysts. I think I'm just having the regular initial side effects.... I hope its side effects and not just me

Okay firstly when they say "clear", they mean no more active acne. You will however more than likely still have red marks and if you touch it scars. IMO, after looking at your pictures, I'm afraid you are having an allergic reaction to the Accutane and I would stop immediately. I saw a similiar case on youtube and the dude was Asian also. How much worse has it gotten becuase to be quite frank that doesn't look like a normal IB. I don't mean to freak you out though!

I'm pretty sure I am not having an allergic reaction to accutane. I can put up another photo of me about 3 months ago, but its just one side and it looks abut the same but a little less spread out. Back then I was not on accutane.

Edit: The photo is uploaded

Edited by dwarf1579

Okay it doesn't look much worse per say but I think its the patches of hyper pigmentation that made me think you were having an allergic reaction. Is the skin a lot more rough where the dark patches are? Bad lighting maybe?

Okay it doesn't look much worse per say but I think its the patches of hyper pigmentation that made me think you were having an allergic reaction. Is the skin a lot more rough where the dark patches are? Bad lighting maybe?

Ya, I think the skin is more rough in the darker areas, back then my acne was literally only on one side. The left side of my face was literally acne free, no scars, nothing....

Edited by dwarf1579

It took about 4 months before initial breakouts stopped for me. Don't worry, it will get better. Just stay strong. <3

Thanks. Any other experiences or words of wisdom?

I heard that it lasts up to two months. Good thing I never take accutane because I'm always hoping that this acne would be gone, even I'm not putting anything. I hope your face will be much better. It's so hard to live like that.

I didn't start clearing up until around month 4 either. hang in there, it is worth it!

I heard that it lasts up to two months. Good thing I never take accutane because I'm always hoping that this acne would be gone, even I'm not putting anything. I hope your face will be much better. It's so hard to live like that.

Thanks for both your posts and info. Anyone else got other experiences??

Hey, I've been on accutane twice before and both times I think it took about 2 months before my skin started to clear up. Your side effects sound pretty normal, but if I were you I'd check in with your doc because in the end they're the only one really qualified to say whether your side effects are ok or not.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that the Accutane works for you!

Hey, I've been on accutane twice before and both times I think it took about 2 months before my skin started to clear up. Your side effects sound pretty normal, but if I were you I'd check in with your doc because in the end they're the only one really qualified to say whether your side effects are ok or not.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that the Accutane works for you!

Thanks for the advice. I actually have an appointment with him on wed so I'll check up on that then.

How long did it take for you guys and girls for the redish / pinkish marks left from the acne to go away??

The reddish/pinkish marks can take quite a while to fade completely, months even years but they should improve reasonably quickly once the acne has cleared up and no new scars are forming. Good news is, the pinkish/reddish marks are the best kind of scars because they will usually heal completely, it just takes time, other forms of scarring can be more difficult to resolve.

my initial breakout was pretty bad. with regular acne and cysts popping up. skin was also red and very sore during the early months. you simply have to give it time. i started in may 09, and now i'm nearing the end of my cycle and i more or less completely rid of my acne. you are on the right track, just hang in there.

The reddish/pinkish marks can take quite a while to fade completely, months even years but they should improve reasonably quickly once the acne has cleared up and no new scars are forming. Good news is, the pinkish/reddish marks are the best kind of scars because they will usually heal completely, it just takes time, other forms of scarring can be more difficult to resolve.

I hope they'll heal fast. Thats the only thing that i see that is left from the acne that is healing. What other types of scarring are there??

my initial breakout was pretty bad. with regular acne and cysts popping up. skin was also red and very sore during the early months. you simply have to give it time. i started in may 09, and now i'm nearing the end of my cycle and i more or less completely rid of my acne. you are on the right track, just hang in there.

Thank you for your post and info. Very helpful knowing other people's experiences.

I'm halfway thru my third month and it's only now starting to somewhat clear up! hope it all works out in the end for the both of us!

Thanks. I'm glad to hear that its working for you. I really hope to see improvements very soon...

Please continue posting your accutane experiences regarding initial breakouts and scarring, I want to know more about other people's experiences

Types of scars: http://www.acneguide.com/acus_scar/types_acne_scars.html

There are also ones that are flat but where you lose pigment, so it appears as a white mark instead of a red/pink/pigmented patch. Again the white ones are harder to treat than the red ones.

You might want to check this out too if you haven't already: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Red-marks...t-acne-f34.html