Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

disclaimer: although i very much wish it were true, i'm not actually named "tulip".. tulip baroo is just a song by my favorite band. my real name is mari ;)

hi hello everyone! i guess before i start logging, i should give a little background info on what exactly is going on here.. so, this is my story:

i hit puberty around the age of 10 (i know tmi, sorry boys) and broke out immediately after on my forehead. my face settled down after a while, but then i started breaking out on my back. ok, a little better than my face, but still. :doh: then that settled down, and i started breaking out between my breasts (again, sorry boys). then finally EVERYTHING settled down, and stayed that way for a good 4 years! i mean, i would get the occasional pimple, but it wasn't anything out of the ordinary..

until about 3 months ago, when my face pretty much exploded overnight. :wall:

i had no idea what was going on. i wasn't stressed, my diet was fine, i kept my face clean, i used good products, etc etc.. so i figured it was something i had no control over. that's when someone suggested i get a blood test done to check my hormones and allergies, so i did.

the results for the allergy test came back perfect, but my hormones results showed that i had high levels of testosterone. :eh: uh, what? what does that even mean!? how does that affect my skin!? isn't testosterone for guys!?

i was so confused. so i did what any confused person would do.. i googled "acne testosterone female." everything i read made me realize that i've had this problem with my hormones for a very very long time.

tmi overload begins now:

• i've always had irregular periods.
  • i sweat, a lot.
  • i have excessive body hair.
  • i gain muscle easily.
  • i'm oily.
  • i have a raspy voice. :lol:

in all seriousness (sp?) though, i've always known there's been something wrong.. but now since the problem started showing up on my face badly, i'm going crazy trying to fix it, when i probably could have fixed it a longggg time ago. :|

anyways, that wasn't a very a short background info, was it? before i finish, let me just post what i'm using (which i'm sure i'll edit a little every now and then):

medications:

• yaz birth control (once a day)
  • doxycycline antibiotic 75mg (once a day)

vitamins/supplements:

• shaklee multi-vitamin
  • shaklee GLA complex
  • vitamin A
  • vitamin D
  • zinc

face products:

• cetaphil daily facial cleanser for normal to oily skin
  • estee lauder clear difference advanced oil-control hydrator for oily skin
  • aczone topical gel 5%
  • st. ives apricrot scrub

face makeup:

• estee lauder vita-mineral loose powder in shade #3
  • estee lauder signature silky powder blush in nude rose

treatments done:

• photodynamic blue light treatmeant (03/17/10)

OKAY enough rambling.. so without further ado, here is my log! :dance:

below is a picture of how my skin normally is,

and what i'm hoping it will go back to very soon! :wub:

post-117163-1263518186_thumb.jpg

post-117163-1263519156_thumb.jpg

post-117163-1263518186_thumb.jpg

post-117163-1263519156_thumb.jpg

Edited by tulipbaroo

day 1

i went to my endocrinologist yesterday in hope that he would put me on spironolactone and birth control to clear this mess, since i've read so many reviews raving about those two working together.. but he just put me on birth control (yaz), no spiro. :doubt: he told me to go back in a month or so, and then depending on how my face is doing he'll consider also adding spiro.

so, below is a picture of how my face looks now..

no makeup + hair pushed back + terrible lighting = raw footage! it makes me feel so vulnerable.

i figured if i post the most unflattering picture of myself, i would not give up on my regimen for fear of looking that way forever. :ninja:

anyways, not much i can post today.. since i just took my first yaz pill this evening (i've been taking the doxy for like a week), but i will update soon!

wish me luck. :cool:

post-117163-1263518586_thumb.png

post-117163-1263518628_thumb.png

post-117163-1263518586_thumb.png

post-117163-1263518628_thumb.png

Edited by tulipbaroo

day 4

a quick update! i've changed my face products from aveeno to estee lauder for oily skin, because ever since my face started breaking out the oil on my forehead and nose has been going out of control. my mom's been using estee lauder forever, so she recommended i try it.

today was my first day using the products, and so far i like them. :dance: they didn't irritate my face, make it sting or dried it out! i also noticed that my face didn't look as shiny as it usually does.. so hopefully this line works for me. :excl:

• estee lauder sparkling clean puryfying mud foam cleanser for oily skin
  • estee lauder sparkling clean mattifying oil-control lotion for oily skin
  • estee lauder clear difference advanced oil-control hydrator for oily skin

anyways, i'll update with some pictures later.. i don't want to post pictures so frequently that you won't be able to see a difference.

Edited by tulipbaroo

day 7

so here are the pics of my face as of today! i don't see much difference, except that most of the spots on my face are turning brown and red.. i don't really have any active acne.

the estee lauder system i'm using has really helped my oily skin out, so i'm going to keep on using it.. but i'm planning on switching my physician's formula makeup to a mica-free one because my face seems to look worse at night after i take off my makeup. hopefully the new makeup works well for me! :pray:

i'm still on yaz birth control, but i haven't been on it long enough to know if it's working or not. my face hasn't broken out ever since i started it, so that's good. i have been feeling bloated and hungrier lately, but that could be because my period is coming soon.. so i don't know. i'm scheduled to see my endocrinologist in about 3 weeks to see whether or not he'll prescribe me spiro.

wish me luck!

post-117163-1264025270_thumb.jpg

post-117163-1264025353_thumb.jpg

post-117163-1264025270_thumb.jpg

post-117163-1264025353_thumb.jpg

Edited by tulipbaroo

day 12

wow, so it's almost going to be two weeks since i started my regimen! so far things are going ok.. my face is far less oily and feels softer, so that's great. :dance: the past day or so i have gotten a couple of new zits (which i picked a little :cry: ), but i'm sure that's due to the fact that i've eaten a lot of chocolate lately and pms time. i've noticed that food doesn't really break me out, but whenever i eat chocolate (in any form) i always break out a little. so yeah, i had a dairy queen fudge blizzard and girl scout cookies, haha.

anyways, speaking of eating a lot of junk food lately.. i've noticed that ever since i've started taking my birth control i've been much hungrier and craving sweets like crazy. i'm not sure if this is entirely due to the birth control or maybe my pms time, but i hate it! i love eating healthy foods, and now it's like i don't even want to look at it. i'm forcing myself really hard to stick to my regular eating patterns. :doh: also, i've been sleeping a lot more ever since i started birth control. i don't know if this is a side effect of it or what, but i'll sleep 12h+ without a problem.

i'll update with some pictures soon! ;)

Edited by tulipbaroo

day 17

i don't know if it's the initial breakout or what, but my face is not doing so well. it makes me feel so discouraged, because whenever i start feeling even the slightest bit of happiness, something happens and i'm back to square one. :wall:

i'm not giving up though, i know things will get better. :whistle:

anyways.. i had a pelvic exam done yesterday, since my doctor had recommened i do so to check for ovarian cysts. i get my results sometime next week, so i'll update with that.

other than that, there really isn't much going on. my mom switched the detergent she used to wash my towels and bed/pillow sheets with to one designed for babies again.. because my face started getting worse when my mom had stopped using it (she thought it wouldn't affect me). so hopefully this helps me out. :pray:

day 24

i know it's taken me a while to upload some new pics but i've been really busy! anyways, here are some shots that i just took now (after washing my face).

also, ever since my last update i've changed a couple of things: my makeup and some face products. i'll list them below and also update them in the original post. :)

• estee lauder oil-control double matte foundation in warm tawny
  • estee lauder vita-mineral loose powder in shade #3
  • bezoyl peroxide 5% topical gel
  • st. ives apricrot scrub

i went to my doctor for my birth control catch up, to see how things were going. i told him how my face was randomly breaking out even though i changed things around. i also told him how it always breaks out like crazy right before my period, and that then it calms down again. so i asked him for spiro.. he said he still didn't want to put me on it because it was too dangerous, and that he didn't want to risk any side effects. :doh: i don't know what to do. my face EXPLODES when my period is nearing. like not a normal pimple or two.. it explodes. these pics don't show that.. since my period week just passed. ughhhh.

post-117163-1265510977_thumb.jpg

post-117163-1265510985_thumb.jpg

post-117163-1265510992_thumb.jpg

post-117163-1265510977_thumb.jpg

post-117163-1265510985_thumb.jpg

post-117163-1265510992_thumb.jpg

Edited by tulipbaroo

day 39

wow.. i completely forgot about this topic, didn't i? anyways, i've been really busy with exams lately, so i haven't really gotten around to taking update pics.. but i'll try my best to have some up before this week is over. :)

my face is doing well, not great.. but well. i have less red marks and active spots, which is great. my post acne brown spots are still there, but they're also fading away slowly. i haven't change anything in my routine.. i'm still on yaz and on doxycycline. i'm also still using the estee lauder oil control 3 step system and makeup.. and my skin is far less oily because of it.

sorry this post is so short, but i will add pics very soon!

oh wait, i did add something. nothing major.. but i'm now using a new blush, haha.

• estee lauder signature silky powder blush in nude rose

day 57

ok, so i finally got around to adding my updated pictures! my face is doing ok, i mostly have a lot of brown hyperpigmentation spots, but those don't bother me as much as having active pimples. i still break out massively the week before my period.. i know it's normal to get blemishes around that time, but my face explodes with so many of those tiny red pimples and i don't want to have to deal with it every month. that's where all my brown spots come from. i'll break out like crazy the week before my period, then after that my face is smooth but with the spots left over from the breakout. then the spots start fading and my face is calm.. but then i get to the week before my period and BOOM i'm back in the cycle of pimples-scars-pimples-scars. can someone please help me? i'm just so exhausted.

it's really frustrating, so i'm looking into other treatments right now. i'm still on the doxycycline and on yaz, but i went to a new dermatologist the other day and she recommended i try doing a photodynamic light treatment because it worked for her daughter. i'm really considering having it done next week.. hopefully i see an improvement. :pray:

some good news for the girls: i've gone up a full bra cup size ever since i started taking yaz. no, i'm not getting fat.. because my clothes still fit, but my bra doesn't. i figured that'd be something the ladies would like about yaz, haha. ;)

post-117163-1268368092_thumb.jpg

post-117163-1268368097_thumb.jpg

post-117163-1268368101_thumb.jpg

post-117163-1268368092_thumb.jpg

post-117163-1268368097_thumb.jpg

post-117163-1268368101_thumb.jpg

Edited by tulipbaroo

day 63

today is my appointment to get my light treatment done.. i'm not gonna lie, i'm really nervous. :shifty: my face right now is actually completely free of active pimples, it just has the dark brown spots from previous acne. but i know in a couple of weeks it'll explode again with 10+ new zits and that's the worst. anyways, i hope all goes well with this treatment. i'm just tired of looking for something that works for me and not finding it.

i'll post some pictures right after i have my treatment done today, and then i'll update more throughout the recovery process.

wish me luck! :confused:

day 63 (continued)

so, i just came home from the dermatologist and the light treatment went ok! :dance: it wasn't painful (just stung a little), and my face did not turn really red afterwards. it was a really quick procedure. the doctor put some medication on my face, which i had to leave on for about 45 minutes.. and then i washed it off and sat in front of the blue light for 15 minutes.

i hope this works out for me. :pray:

here are the pics of my face about two hours after the procedure:

post-117163-1268872932_thumb.jpg

post-117163-1268872937_thumb.jpg

post-117163-1268872942_thumb.jpg

post-117163-1268872932_thumb.jpg

post-117163-1268872937_thumb.jpg

post-117163-1268872942_thumb.jpg

Edited by tulipbaroo

day 76

hey, just a quick update: my face healed pretty quickly after the light treatment. the night after i had it done, my face turned a little more red. then about 3-4 days after, my skin began peeling a little around my nose and on my chin.. but it was nothing major. right now my skin is doing great (i'll post pictures up later today). i don't have any active pimples and it feels much smoother. I might have one more treatment done in a month or so, but i definitely have seen improvement with just one. :dance:

i've also added a new product to my routine..

• cetaphil daily facial cleanser for normal to oily skin

i stopped using the estee lauder face cleanser and toner, because after i had my treatment on my face became really sensitive to them and was becoming really red after every wash. so far cetaphil has been great! i recommend it to anyone who just needs a gentle cleanser for their sensitive skin.

Edited by tulipbaroo