Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invisable girl

Are some ppl with acne not bothered by it?

I suppose if you're here in the "emotional effects" than your bothered by it, but I'm middle aged (42) and when I was younger I was absolutely devastated by my acne. Now I'm married with 5 daughters ages 13-22 and all of them have/have had acne in various degrees. And of course, emotionally, my heart breaks for them. I am so emotionally broken when they get bad breakouts, it seems like I'm more upset than they are. Mind you, I act all cool and calm and I don't badger them in the least. But my oldest doesn't seem at all bothered. I've tried to talk about it a few times over the yrs and she just brushes it aside. She's on the go all the time...in graduate school, has 3 pt jobs, lots of friends. I just don't get that cuz my acne caused me to drop out of everything. Then my middle daughter (16) doesn't talk about it at all either. If I try to broach the subject, she just acts like it's nothing. She plays basketball, softball, always doing something (I could barely go out of the house at her age). Then our other 3 daughters are all more sensitive about their appearance. Could it really be true that they are just not bothered by it or do you think they're really devastated but hiding it?

I've had acne for about 10 years now (I'm 23 now). I get the huge cystic pimples that have a tendency to distort one's appearance (not to mention get really red). It used to bother me a lot, especially in high school, but now I'm not bothered by it at all. I know now that there are way worse things to have and acne is a small burden to carry in comparison.

So, in short, it's entirely possible that it doesn't affect them. I think that's more likely the older the person is.

It's a pain in the ass sometimes, but it doesn't really affect me anymore. I don't get depressed looking into the mirror anymore, it's just like everything is fine.

I don't waste my life away worrying about something I can't control yet. I just don't give a shit anymore really :rolleyes:

Yeah. My acne didn't bother me that much in high school because most of my peers had it too. Now in my 20s, it's devestating to me.

i think it just depends on weather the people around you have acne too. and weather or not the lesions hurts, which kinda remind me of it's existance every second. boo.

sounds just like my mom. when she asks or tries too get near the subject I just brush it aside. Acne IS emotionally devastating but I just dont want my parents to worry about me, and they dont have alot of money either so I feel that it would be a 'waste' of their hard earned money when we need more important things in the house. They are already helping me to pay for college and i feel that its enough.

My brother has acne, not too severe (like, no cysts, but still noticeable acne) and he has some pitted scarring too, he's 17... he's had it since he was 13th or so?

He is absolutely not bothered by it at all. He woke up this morning, saw two new pimples and just said "Damn it." I asked him what was up and he said, "I have two pimples near my mouth.. oh well." And he forgot about them right then.

And he just went on his day, normal as ever. He's very popular at school, goes out with friends all the time, even gets lead roles in his school plays (3 times so far) despite his acne.

He makes fun of me for worrying so much over my acne, and says I'm crazy for even caring.

I love his attitude and I wish I was more like him. But I do think having acne is more "accepted" on guys than it is on girls..

Good mentions here. Severity is certainly a factor. Age/environment is another factor.

Your twenty-two year old makes sense. She is sharply focused on what's ahead, given how busy she is. I'm sure it strikes her in passing, but she probably chalks it up as something she can solve once she slows down a little. You'll see it in her eyes when she's fed up. Time being, no need to worry.

Geez, five kids and all girls. How'd you manage that? Your husband probably needs some guy time. Ha, ha.

I actually used to care big time, now I'm just like meh. But I do know that when my acne was at it's worst in 8th grade......I knew that my mom wanted to ask me about my face, and I pretended not to care and I acted like it wasn't a big deal when it really was to me. It really could be either option here :shrug: But maybe your daughters are confident enough that it really doesn't bother them.

I suppose if you're here in the "emotional effects" than your bothered by it, but I'm middle aged (42) and when I was younger I was absolutely devastated by my acne. Now I'm married with 5 daughters ages 13-22 and all of them have/have had acne in various degrees. And of course, emotionally, my heart breaks for them. I am so emotionally broken when they get bad breakouts, it seems like I'm more upset than they are. Mind you, I act all cool and calm and I don't badger them in the least. But my oldest doesn't seem at all bothered. I've tried to talk about it a few times over the yrs and she just brushes it aside. She's on the go all the time...in graduate school, has 3 pt jobs, lots of friends. I just don't get that cuz my acne caused me to drop out of everything. Then my middle daughter (16) doesn't talk about it at all either. If I try to broach the subject, she just acts like it's nothing. She plays basketball, softball, always doing something (I could barely go out of the house at her age). Then our other 3 daughters are all more sensitive about their appearance. Could it really be true that they are just not bothered by it or do you think they're really devastated but hiding it?

Did you grow out of acne? and if so, what age?

Edited by recoverme

Geez, five kids and all girls. How'd you manage that? Your husband probably needs some guy time. Ha, ha.

He gets plenty of guy time. lol. Yeah, we had 3 girls and then I got pregnant with twins. I didn't know till they were born that they were both girls. lol

Did you grow out of acne? and if so, what age?

I've grown out of the cystic acne, though I do get a bigger zit once in a great while. I still have whitheads and large pores that irritate me though.

Thanks for all the responses. It's funny how different people are. My 13 yr old has been breaking out on her forehead quite a bit (my other girls didn't start breaking out till between 16 and 18) and she's so sad by it. She says to me, "Mom, look at my forehead." Not angrily, just so saddened by it. And my heart just breaks. Then her twin goes ballistic if she has anything on her face (don't know what I'm gonna do if she breaks out bad!) Sometimes I do feel like it bothers the others, but they don't want to talk about it. Then at other times I Feel like they really aren't bothered by it at all. But when I've tried to have serious talks they brush me aside.

Our 22 yr old has been developing a relationship with a guy via the internet and he really likes her. And all I can think of is, "Aren't you freaked out about meeting him because of your skin?" I don't say this to her because she doesn't even mention it, but I'm thinking it because that's what I would have been thinking about if I was her. lol

Edited by invisable girl

what age did you grow out of cystic acne? I'm curious because I'm trying a miracle diet right now after seeing all these threads, but my father tells me that I will grow out of it one day from his experience (I got my acne from him)

I don't want to bum you out but I grew out of the cystic acne when I was around 30. But as I said, I still have whiteheads, the occasional big zit, and some scarring.

When I was in my teens, I had the best skin. People would constantly tell me my skin is incredible, crystal clear, flawless. It was consistent and olive toned.

My first pimple bothered the crap out of me. I had one on my nose. It all quickly spread to my forehead.

To tell you the truth (initial poster), I cared, but I wasn't comfortable talking about it to my mom, so I held it all in. I kept ignoring it, and this problem just kept on growing.

I think the only sort of people that will not care about this sort of thing, are people that are beyond superficial (they are way more interested in other things). Perhaps you have some daughters that are like that. Way beyond their looks.

Why were you not comfortable talking to your mom about it, Jarrit? That's what I don't quite get. When I was a teen (25+ years ago), I didn't have Acne.org. There was no place to vent and talk to others going through the same thing. I would have loved to have my Mom show a real interest in my feelings and what I was going through instead of making like it was no big deal. I suppose everyone's different, but I'm curious as to why you were not comfortable talking to your mom about it?

I am from singapore and i must say that acne really bothers me. I am 20 this year, and gotten moderate acne acne at the start of 18. Actually, my mum DO ask me about my acne. But i felt very embarressed in talking to her about it because my sisters had flawless complexion, and when they are around when my mum talks to me, i feel very embarressed. And i would try to shun her off at times, when she wants to put some acne medication on my face. lol. I suppose ur daughters may feel better talking about it IF others are not around, when they are alone. At that age, i think being sensitive by giving them some privacy matters. If i were to turn back time, actually i would realli hope i have talked to my mum more about such things, so that she could teach me about how to take care of my face. Haha.

Edited by qooguy

what age did you grow out of cystic acne? I'm curious because I'm trying a miracle diet right now after seeing all these threads, but my father tells me that I will grow out of it one day from his experience (I got my acne from him)

If your Dad grow out of it You should to.

To invisable girl -

I didn't want to talk to her about it because she really didn't think it was a huge problem. Also, some people become quite reluctant to address their issues. I know I liked to brush aside acne because it would make me feel better.