Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Person~

Pasta, good or bad?

I have recently cut pasta and most bread completely from my diet to stop acne once and for all. Now I just eat brown rice and sometimes white rice as well as whole grain bread (sometimes.)

However, I recently came upon this: http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/Low...9641420053.html

What? I knew that white pasta had a low GI but...hmm. What would you guys recommend? I'm going to try to go at least 2 months on this diet of just fruits/vegetables/skinless chicken breast and a few other things. I noticed I lost weight as well (I DON'T WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT) so what would you guys recommend? Thanks.

Doesn't break me out one bit. I'd reccomend Barilla Plus (yellow box). I actually went on a nothing but pasta diet (lunch and dinner) for about 2 months a few years ago and got completely clear (using the Barilla Plus). Then I gained some common sense and realized I couldn't live off of that for my entire life. But still, it's good stuff personally.

i think pasta goes both ways. the noodles are usually made from white flour which is not too good for candida, but the tomato sauce (if you put tomato sauce) has lots of lycopene in it which seems to be good for acne for some reason. if you search around this forum i think someone got cleared by just eating a lot of pasta with a lot of tomato sauce.

if you search around this forum i think someone got cleared by just eating a lot of pasta with a lot of tomato sauce.

Yeah, but it was Barilla Plus which is made from flours from a combination of grains and garbanzo beans. I think it's mostly garbanzo. Thus, much less wheat.

Lycopene is anti-androgen, anti-inflammatory... There's a thread on it with research.

Also, regarding the GI of pasta, the longer you cook it the higher the GI. Buy only thin pastas that will cook quickly and cook only until al dente. I buy the barilla plus penne.

And as for gluten intolerance. It's my understanding that wheat and such grains don't contain much gluten. They contain two proteins that combine to form gluten when in contact with water. So it depends on how a product is made. Some pastas are not made with water, just eggs or oil. The water, kneading and rising process in bread making is designed to maximize gluten formation. There's less gluten formed in other flour products as it's not desired in things like cake. So, as long as you aren't seriously intolerant to gluten or allergic to wheat, then some non-bread wheat products may not be a problem so long as they don't dominate your diet.

Ah I see. Thank you for the really fast replies! And yes pasta does have a relatively low GI according to this: http://www.the-gi-diet.org/lowgifoods.

I have been using Tazorac and Minocycline prescribed by my dermatologist and my acne is gone. Just a ton of red spots remaining so I'm dieting in hopes of everything going away. I don't think I am gluten intolerant either.

I guess I will buy the Barilla Plus and eat it every now and then. I just have been losing so much weight with all this being already skinny (10 pounds in like 3 weeks.)

What about tomato sauce? Any recommendations?

Also, what would you guys recommend for a morning/night 2% salyclic acid noncomedogenic cleanser? I have been using this Aveeno one but it makes my skin much too oily (because of the "moisture rich soy." Can't find a substitute that has salyclic acid, is noncomedogenic and doesn't moisturize. Thank you so much!

Pasta is not bad but it is allways the quantity, and the quality that counts. I get sprouted whole wheat pasta which is really good(you can get that from a health foods store), if you have a problem with gluten. Get a gluten free pasta. I think the main problem is that carbs feeds yeast, and bacteria. I started to eat sprouted whole grain pasta, and made shure I took plenty of probiotics. I took 50 billion or probiotics a day for a week, and that helped me out to control the yeast and bacteria problems. I do not eat bread because of the yeast in it, but if I want it one day I am going to eat it. I have to enjoy life too you know?

I heard pros, and cons about eating too much tomatoe sauce. I think what is important is that you make the tomatoe sauce yourself by scratch (thats what I do), or you just buy a really good tomatoe sauce. Look at what is in the igredients. I think making it by scratch is better because you can choose the type of oil, and ect. It is healthier for you.

Pasta is not bad but it is allways the quantity, and the quality that counts.

Exactly

What all the low-GI gurus don't understand is that you can turn a low GI food into an high GI food simply by eating a lot of it. That's why the GL is important.

When eating pasta I think it's important to reduce the portion, add veggies and proteins to the sauce and season with enough fat either from oil or butter. Make the plate of pasta small enough so that you can eat something and don't fill yourself just with pasta.

Bread also doesn't break me out, I eat at least a slice a day.

I put the slices in the freezer because defrosted bread has a lower GI, then I toast it because toasted bread has a lower GI and I always eat it with butter or olive oil, not without fats.

Edited by Danny©

I've eaten pasta all my life. At least once a day, if not then I eat it both at lunch and dinner with legumes or vegetables or potatoes. Funny how you guys use my same brand, it's just called Barilla here, even though it's headquarters are here in Italy.

Also, since you guys are talking about tomato sauce (<3), google 'potato dumplings' and make them with tomato, it's going to be a great meal.

I've eaten pasta all my life. At least once a day, if not then I eat it both at lunch and dinner with legumes or vegetables or potatoes. Funny how you guys use my same brand, it's just called Barilla here, even though it's headquarters are here in Italy.

Which is what I don't like about living in Italy, pasta everywhere.

And also the whole nation is fueled by coffee, everyone from students to professionals bonk around 10 am because the breakfast is just fast acting carbs and nothing else and the only reason they can drag themselves out of the bed in the morning is coffee. I hate the mediterranean diet :ninja: