Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
marti783

Spiro and Men

okay so i''m about to schedule an appointment with my derm tomorrow and am going to ask about Spiro. i've just about had it with my face. i've tried everything and nothing topical works. however, before i ask, i wanna make sure this isn't something only prescribed for women. are there any men out there who have tried it or are on it? if so, what are your thoughts. i've done some research on the internet and can't seem to get a reliable answer. i understand that doctors are hesitant to prescribe it to men because it causes breast growth or something. but at this point i'm willing to just wear a bra if it means i'll have clear skin. :)

Marti.. hahah a bra I somehow don't think that would help your romantic life! hahah but Spiro basically blocks the production of testosterone which obviously in men is not a great thing. But Spiro was originally used as a diuretic to help lower blood pressure. So that being said I would think that many men are taking this pill, but not for acne. Anyway look up Buke I think he has been taking it. Try to get his two cents on the matter and good luck to you!! :pray:

Impotence is another possible side effect so if you're still young, I'd strongly consider not taking Spiro. But you do need to hear from some men so keep fishing online and hopefully Buke will turn up. ;)

Hey marti, shells, lady odd duck. I am a 20 year old male and I've been on spiro for about 3 months. It's a wonderful pill, and I don't regret at all going on it. You wil probably get an initial breakout, try to get an oral antibiotic to help fight through the IB. Good antibiotics for acne are and not in this order: Doxycycline, Bactrim, Ampicillin/Amoxicillin, ciprofloxacin. These should clear up your face even if you're going through an IB. The side effect I got from this pill is impaired thinking and reactions, confusion. I feel like I'm taking a drug to feel a buzz. I'm also tired almost all throughout the day. Even with these side effects I still am happy I'm on this pill. I go to school for about 10 hours a day, and my face used to get sooooo oily. Now I can go a whole day or 2 without seeing oil. Another thing I do is break open a zinc capsule(50 mg), pour that on my hand. I crushed up ibuprofen tablets because they have a anti-infammitory effect, I put the powder into a medication bottle. I also break open clindamycin capsules, pour the powder into a medicine bottle. After my shower, I mix all 3 of these together in my hands with just a few drops of water and rub it on my face, it's by far the best topical ever. <This is no joke. It heals scars, flattens out pimples, makes them less red, drys up(reduces) oil, ect. My face just glows in a good way. It looks like im wearing the perfect makeup, while it's healing my acne. Okay back to spiro, give it a shot. Stick with it, and if you don't see improvement after 6 months, it's not for you. Usually things clear at the beginning of 4th month for most people. I'm still going through the IB, but I'm on an antibiotic, so I really can't even tell. Good Luck. Also it does decrease the amount of body and facial hair, which I think is a good thing... It did decrease my sexual drive, but no where close to what people say it will.

Edited by Buke

Hey marti, I forgot to tell you something. I read something a while ago about gynecomastia(male breasts). There was an experiment with 9 men taking 400mg of spiro a day. After one year 6 of them developed gynecomastia. If you are one of those 6, I would assume if you take 100 mg a day you shouldn't develope it for like 3-4 years. Also working out your chest a lot may help prevent it. Okay I'm finally done. If you have any more questions, everyone on here is very helpful, and I try to come on every day.