Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kenzie123

am I completely screwed??

Okaay! So here's my problem, I'll get done with accutane in March and that is also when tennis season starts. I've heard about sun sensitivity after accutane and I'm kind of worried about spending around 2 1/2 hours outside everyday March thru May...plus after that it's summer and I love being outside during the summer, so will I have to apply sunscreen religiously (I've never been good at that..) or am I just completely screwed?

Well, it is hard to tell how your skin will be after accutane as far as sun sensitivity. But you will for sure need sunscreen. That being said, i live in Florida, and i started my accutane course in September. It is still awfully hot and sunny then, i run a lot and my job requires me to be outside a lot as well. I just made sure i had plenty of sunscreen on(I got a little travel tube and kept it with me.) and re-applied often, and i never got more sunburned then I normally do, as long as i stayed on top of it.. Just be extra careful, maybe wear a hat or something to help keep the sun out of your face while you are out playing tennis. and wear lots and lots of sweat proof sunscreen!! :)

Just want to let you know that your face ISN'T the only part of your body that can get sunburned during Accutane so take care of your body as well since I suppose you won't train with a jacket on.

I was on accutane in aust/sept when it was still 80 and hot here. I had to be outside for about 3 hours a day for football, and I got burned, but it was really only because one or two of the days I didnt wear sunscreen. Whenever I did wear sunscreen I was fine and didn't burn, and I have a middle skin tone .. not light but not dark.

thanks for replying everyone, I'm going to try reeeealllly hard to always put it and and reapply

so my next question...

any good sweat proof face or body sunscreen I could get?

I've never had a problem from just being outside in the summer, only when I've tried to tan have I gotten burnt very badly.

same with me. probably not the best advice, but i've never used sunscreen in my life, and during my accutane course i went outside as i normally would (i LOVEEE summertime & the sun) and never burned. i also went tanning occasionally with no problems. it's better to be safe than sorry i guess, but do what feels comfortable to you. you know your skin by now and you know when you're burning and how much sun you can handle.

I've never had a problem from just being outside in the summer, only when I've tried to tan have I gotten burnt very badly.

same with me. probably not the best advice, but i've never used sunscreen in my life, and during my accutane course i went outside as i normally would (i LOVEEE summertime & the sun) and never burned. i also went tanning occasionally with no problems. it's better to be safe than sorry i guess, but do what feels comfortable to you. you know your skin by now and you know when you're burning and how much sun you can handle.

Well in my opinion it also depends of the phenotype..for example type 3 has mild-moderate chances of getting sunburned while type 4 will rarely sunburn.

Also the sun is stronger from 11am to 3pm so be careful.

that makes me feel a little better because during summer I never really use it much and get just an initial small burn then tan the rest of the summer. bbuuutt still I'll probably stay safe and use it a lot in the beginning just so I can see how my skin is after accutane, plus I already have enough red face problems while on accutane and I really dont need more red face with a sunburn lol