Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hesitation

Question about ANTIBIOTICS - how bad are they?

My acne is not so bad at the moment since I have been really trying to maintain my candida diet. My recent blood test showed that my ASO levels were highly above normal which means I have some kind of bacterial infection or something I didn't fully understand myself. The point is the doctor said it is usually treated with antibiotics.

Since I have spent a lot of money on supplements like colostrum to strengthen my immune and digestive system, would taking antibiotics shoot all that down the drain?

Also, a part of my is believing that the high ASO level are associated with my acne since the dieting hasn't been working so well, I'm hoping it would solve my acne problem. Could taking antibiotics actually make my acne worse?

My new moto: get my other problems fixed before messing with acne. Going to the root. No more symptom treating. I believe acne is a response to my greater problems in my body...

I have never taken antibiotics before.

My acne is not so bad at the moment since I have been really trying to maintain my candida diet. My recent blood test showed that my ASO levels were highly above normal which means I have some kind of bacterial infection or something I didn't fully understand myself. The point is the doctor said it is usually treated with antibiotics.

Since I have spent a lot of money on supplements like colostrum to strengthen my immune and digestive system, would taking antibiotics shoot all that down the drain?

Also, a part of my is believing that the high ASO level are associated with my acne since the dieting hasn't been working so well, I'm hoping it would solve my acne problem. Could taking antibiotics actually make my acne worse?

My new moto: get my other problems fixed before messing with acne. Going to the root. No more symptom treating. I believe acne is a response to my greater problems in my body...

I was on BactrimDS for 6 months. The first month I broke out like crazy. Then I started clearing up. Remember it gets worse before it gets better. After BacrtimDS, I saw a few minor breakouts but then my derm added the Ziana and now im GREAT!

You could always try natural antibiotics such as Olive Leaf extract and Garlic. I honestly believe that the antibiotics my parents gave me when I was younger contributed to my candida problems now (I think my past drug abuse exasperated the overgrowth).

If you do choose to take the antibiotics, make sure you get on some good probiotics afterwards.

I'm not a fan of antibiotics, but they may help. Maybe add probiotics to limit the side effects. If you want to get to the root, then antibiotics isn't an option. Have you ever looked at all natural supplements like chlorella and spirulina? Link: http://www.chlorellafactor.com

To Mystique Naw: WOW? 6 months? I thought you weren't supposed to be on antibiotics too long.. Max 10 day.

To anonymou5: I'm already eating tons of garlic as you know :P. I'll keep doing that and have my blood tested again, if it works I'll be eating garlic all day lol. I will also be ordering the probiotics you recommended.

To Mystique Naw: WOW? 6 months? I thought you weren't supposed to be on antibiotics too long.. Max 10 day.

Some people, like myself, are on various antibiotics for years. I think I've been on Bactrim for about 2 years and am just now being weaned off of it.

Antibiotics are such a TEASE..

yea you will see positive results for like a week.. but it will come back with a vengeance trust me from personal experience..

and also it's just terrible for your health killin all the good bacteria

To anonymou5: I'm already eating tons of garlic as you know :P. I'll keep doing that and have my blood tested again, if it works I'll be eating garlic all day lol. I will also be ordering the probiotics you recommended.

Good stuff! Let me know how those probiotics work out for ya, I'm lovin em.

Guys, do not abuse antibiotics.

Im a med student and the health complications are staggering for their misuse.

Personally i dont think antibiotics should be in any way prescribed for acne.

They are a ridiculously powerful drug and should only be used in life/death scenario's under relatively strict supervision

Guys, do not abuse antibiotics.

Im a med student and the health complications are staggering for their misuse.

Personally i dont think antibiotics should be in any way prescribed for acne.

They are a ridiculously powerful drug and should only be used in life/death scenario's under relatively strict supervision

I wouldn't be taking them for acne. My blood test showed me that my ASO (Antistreptolysin O) levels were around 800 (normal is 200). Do you happen to know what this means and if it could be connected to my acne?

I had to go on strong antibiotics for 2 weeks. After that my forehead acne started again. I havent had that before that for 2yrs. It was almost absolutely clear for 2yrs!

Dunno why my other acne reduced. I bettered my diet so i think its that. I dont think its because it migrated to my forehead.

EDIT: like joconnor sais: only take it in life/death situations. Find out what the high ASO means. And what it can cause or what it can possible progress into...

Edited by joris

I've been on antibiotics twice for around 9 months each and both times 1-2 months after i stopped they wore of. Theyll just set you back as far as your overall health go. IMO my skin would be clear if i hadnt gone on antibiotics.

Get a second opinion from a naturopath because they will be able to give you natural antibiotics and a structured supplement plan that will strengthen your intestines and prepare you for a detox if needed.

I came down with an infection after the new year, but instead of doing antibiotics for it, I did 5-10 drops of wild oregano oil by North American Herb & Spice every 2 hours. My fever went away that same day. It took about a week for my temp to finally go back down to normal, but this stuff took care of the infection. I have heard of oregano oil getting rid of staph infections in people that were resistant to antibiotics. It's great stuff. Oregano oil can also kill good bacteria as well though, so it's a good idea to still do probiotics when finishing. Oh, oregano oil also kills candida, so there's another plus. :) I had blood poisoning when I was 14, and had to be put on heavy, heavy antibiotics. The following year, I had about "four" sinus infections, and before that, I never got sick... I hate antibiotics!!!

I would steer clear away from antibiotics. They rid you of infection by killing EVERY bacteria in your body, hence after your dose your gut (where normal 'healthy' flora live) will seriously hate you.

E-Mycin (for infections) is a 10day dose whilst Minocycline and Doxycycline are the most popular ones for acne and are prescribed long term (months).

Go for a holistic approach and heal yourself using natural products. Supplements, oils, vitamins, diet, excercise, sleep. It'll take time, money and effort. But in the end it's the best decision you will ever make.

It's easy to take antibiotics (like my younger self) and slap a bandaid on to see temporary results (they didn't even work for me) but it's better to educate yourself.

I've been eating tons of garlic lately. Today I ate 18 gloves for morning and even more at night.

I had my ASO levels tested again (shows some kind of bacterial infection that can be cured by taking antibiotics) - so I decided to start consuming natural antibiotics (garlic, pepper etc).

I had my blood tested again. ASO levels have dropped from 748 to 712 (normal is 200). It's not a big change, but it's changing... I think I'm going to try beating this thing with garlic. Although I already burned my mouth and throat by eating too much of it. Is that even possible? I have a lot of bubbles on my tongue that you get when you drink boiling water.

How powerful is garlic compared to synthetic antibiotics?

to Fairy: Thanks, I'll check them out.

Edited by hesitation

I take cayenne pepper pills (with added garlic, smells heavenly) for digestion. You might want to look into buying some garlic pills or something if you wanted to take a natural route through antibiotics. Just me two cents.

Just going through my subscribed threads, unsubscribing from this one so pm me for anything.