Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Posted

So I have been thinking a whole lot about this topic as of late and it's driving me crazy. I'll start off with a little background; I've been smoking for about 2 - 2 and a half years now and my acne began about a couple months after beginning my habit. Well, my problem has never really been getting new zits every morning, my problem is that the few pimples I do get leave nasty red marks that take multiple years at a time to fade at all. Well i smoke everyday, for the most part, but it is mostly just a bowl or two each day, besides on weekends, I stick with my blunts on weekends. Anywho, I've been wondering, is it possible that the whole reason my skin doesn't know how to heal itself is that i smoke too often? I do everything else right to try give my skin a fighting chance; I workout 5 times a week, cardio and weight training, I eat healthy for the most part, barely any refined sugar. I can't even remember the last time I picked at a pimple on my cheeks, which by the way is the whole basis for my problem. All the pimples I get on my chin, forehead, nose, etc. all seem to heal at normal rates. But my cheeks are where all the aforementioned marks come into play. Sorry for writing my life story, but I am just looking for someone who's experienced a similar situation as myself, and if they have ever tried to quit smoking. Oh and p.s. the little active acne I do get is always a whitehead, and I never get any 3D scars, just my flat hyperpigmentation. Well, any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Posted

i have never smoked cigarettes nor marijuana and get red marks on cheeks only

everyone is different, but i think it is just wishful thinking just trying to randomly pinpoint the cause of red marks. if you are convinced then you should give it a shot and stop smoking

Posted

i use to smoke quite a lot as well. i found that once i stopped my face got less oily and the red marks seemed less pronounced.

Posted

I smoked cigarettes for 5 years and I had acne and acne red marks for all those years. I quit smoking, started taking vitamins, got some skin peeling sessions done at a skin clinic and my face is not red anymore. If you're lucky, your skin doesnt get clogged up from smoking cigarettes. If you're unlucky, your skin gets clogged up and get acne in weird places on your face from smoking.

Posted

I forgot to mention about my friend. He smokes weed every single day and his face is red with zits on weird places. There was a time when he didnt smoke weed for a week and his face looked so much better. Smoking anything is bad for your whole body. If you dont want to look way older for your age, smell bad, and have terrible skin, I recommend you quit the bad habit.

Posted

i heard that the smoke clogs your pores. but for red marks idk

if you can break the habit for a while do it and see if it helps

Posted

Smoking causes constriction of the micro vessels in the face.

A couple of friends of mine who are identical twins were part of a study that a NYC plastic surgeon did with regard to smoking and wrinkles, etc. Smoking adds to wrinkles in general and fine lines around the lips/mouth. If it can do that, I'm sure if affects how the skin heals.

Posted

Thanks guys. The amount I smoke and the amount of acne i get don't seem to be correlated at all as far as i can tell. However, I've known about how smoking constricts the blood vessels to the face and allows less oxygen and blood to flow to your face. Well, I've thought about it and if that was the reason my skin can't heal very well, then wouldn't facial exercises help, seeing as facial exercises cause rapid blood flow to the area of the face you're exercising? I have been doing some cheek exercises for the past couple days I found in another article posted on this wesite. So I'm curious if anyone else has seen results in their red marks from doing any type of facial exercise, since I can't really picture myself quitting any time soon due to the fact that all my friends smoke and whenever we get together, that's always the first thing we do. But as always, any feedback is appreciated.

Posted

^ wouldn't it faster and easier to just stop..God if your friends smoke that doesn't mean that you have to join the bandwagon like some 8 years old kid at the park

There are a lot of things you can do with friends besides smoking..

Posted
^ wouldn't it faster and easier to just stop..God if your friends smoke that doesn't mean that you have to join the bandwagon like some 8 years old kid at the park

There are a lot of things you can do with friends besides smoking..

I wish it were that easy... To sum it up, all my closest friends that I hang out with outside of school on a regular basis are all potheads in one way or another. If I were to call one of them up at random right now, I can guarantee you they will be either in the middle of a blunt, just about to be, or already high. That's just about all we do when we get together, especially in the winter months! So if one day, I just randomly decided, you know what, I'm done smoking forever; well for one they wouldn't understand because they ALL have flawless skin, and two they wouldn't really want to chill with me anymore, and I would have to pick up and create a whole new clique, basically, which is something I just don't need right meow.

Posted

From experience, I know for a fact that using mj doesnt cause acne, but not sure about red marks. I do use mj regularly and my red marks lasts forever. About 6+ months...

Posted (edited)
So if one day, I just randomly decided, you know what, I'm done smoking forever; well for one they wouldn't understand because they ALL have flawless skin

I smoke medical on a daily basis for insomnia.

Some people understand it, others don't. My question to you is, why are you friends with people that don't understand your problems?

My advice to you, would be to confront one of your friends - the one that may understand you.

Don't let them drag you down in all of their comfort zones. If all of them had bad acne, they'd all feel like quitting - just like you are now. I've heard it all before : "WHAT? UR QUITTING?" Why would their responses be so volatile? They're appalled. They can't even fathom the thought of quitting, or letting go of their "blankies." I don't care if my friends smoke weed. Most of them prefer to drink. I'd prefer to smoke weed, but I do like whiskey. I've concluded whiskey is worse for me.

To combat this problem of redness, smoke in the later part of the day. Do NOT wake and bake. During the day, your blood-flow is quite active - you wouldn't want to constrict that. Regulate that blood flow and get some exercise, do some productive things throughout the day. Also, drinking water while smoking is key.

Towards the end of the day, when the sun is going down, smoke a bowl and relax. Then go wash the dishes or something. Make this "drug" work for you, rather than you working for "it".

Edited by jarrit

Posted

It isn't like they haven't invented smokeless marijuana .

Posted
So if one day, I just randomly decided, you know what, I'm done smoking forever; well for one they wouldn't understand because they ALL have flawless skin

I smoke medical on a daily basis.

Some people understand it, others don't. My question to you is, why are you friends with people that don't understand your problems?

my thought exactly!!! screw those guys!

Posted
It isn't like they haven't invented smokeless marijuana

Oral consumption. Topical consumption.

Both are good methods. Though I prefer a nice vaporizer, or at least some water filtration.

I think oral consumption can be a bit intense though, and should only be used on patients that have a real, actual need for it.

I have read reports that post chemo therapy sessions are less disturbing for cancer patients that choose to smoke marijuana to prevent nausea and vomiting.

Posted

Its probably because the skin on your cheeks is thinner then the forehead and chin so the red marks seem more prominant and take longer to heal up.

Also when I smoke MJ my red marks usually seem more red, I think due to the fact that MJ causes vasodilation of the blood vessels in the face, which explains red eye.

Posted

To combat this problem of redness, smoke in the later part of the day. Do NOT wake and bake. During the day, your blood-flow is quite active - you wouldn't want to constrict that. Regulate that blood flow and get some exercise, do some productive things throughout the day. Also, drinking water while smoking is key.

Towards the end of the day, when the sun is going down, smoke a bowl and relax. Then go wash the dishes or something. Make this "drug" work for you, rather than you working for "it".

Posted

I know exactly where your coming from. Ive been smoking chronic for about the same amount if years as you. People dont understand how hard it is to just quit smoking it. With this being said, somehow ive gained the willpower to cut back from smoking almost everyday, to only once a week!! Its tuff for me to analyze if there is any difference or correlation to my smoking and complexion because I decided to quit after starting accutane. What I can say is my face seemed to slowly become worse and worse once my marijuana smoking began (about 2 years ago). Im not sure if its due to the marijuana or just my body itself. Anyway, im going to continue doing it once a week, I cant see this being harmful at all...

Posted

I used to smoke a lot, and my red marks were just as bad as they are now. I don't think it makes a difference. But I do notice I break out immediately after I smoke.

Posted

I quit smoking cigs a month and a half ago, I haven't been smoking buds as much recently and although I stopped breaking out I haven't seen much of an improvement in my skin/skin tone/ red marks. IMO, there is no real correlation.

Posted

don't know about directly causing acne or exacerbating red marks, but smoking buds everyday sure as hell makes it a lot harder for me to NOT stuff my face with processed food....

so tempting.

Posted (edited)

wow this is crazy i'm like exactly in ur same situation nd its funny becuz it was actually 2day while i was smoking a bowl that i noticed that i started getting more acne in the tenth grade when i started blazing , nd its just been getting worse as time progressed most likely because i have been smoking much much more as time has gone on. One more thing is that i started raving recently nd the rolling has not helped 1 bit, but it could also be because i smoke madd bud at the rave or the fact that its a all night thing so i don't get 2 wash my face once.but iono maybe u'll see this as rambling or u'll find this funny. o yea i also go 2 the gym a lot, i was wondering does u working out conflict wit u only washing ur face twice?

i also think that weed only makes people with acne prone skin break out

Edited by GlowInTheDark

Posted

I know for a fact that marijuana does NOT cause my acne. Yes I've done a lot of experimenting.

Posted

Agreed. I used to smoke as well, but quit a month ago and everything is basically clearing up (some help from the regimen to), and I have noticed my face is half as oily as it was and red marks seem to be fading a lot quicker than usual.

Posted

I smoke everyday, the only time it seems to affect my acne is if i smoke from someone elses bong I get acne around my mouth and above my lips. I learned to clean the bong tip with my sleeve before taking a rip though and don't seem to break out after smoking.

I dont think weed has any affects on PIH though.