Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thirty&Hopeful

What an experience!

30 year old female with what my derm calls severe acne. She actually said "that looks painful" after examining my jawline.

Anyways, like the title says...this has been quite an experience. I read Billy Graham's Daily Devotional online every morning. This one really struck a cord with me and I kept it in my thoughts all day:

God is especially close to us when we are lying on a sickbed. God will make the bed soft and will freshen it with His presence and with His tender care. He makes the bed comfortable and wipes away our tears. He ministers to us with special tenderness at such a time and reveals His great love for us. Tell me why the gardener trims and prunes his rosebushes, sometimes cutting away productive branches, and I will tell you why God’s people are afflicted. God’s hand never slips. He never makes a mistake. His every move is for our own good and for our ultimate good. Oftentimes He must deform us and mutilate our own image. Deformity sometimes precedes conformity.

Those last couple of lines really drive it home!

What about those of us who are agnostic or atheist?

Maybe we should be working towards an actual cure or remedy instead of giving up hope and believing that it is merely up to fate from whichever of the 1000's of gods in the world that you happen to believe in.

I really don't mean to belittle you or troll the thread, and I know you mean well, so I earnestly apologize if this offends. If you get comfort from your beliefs, all the more power to you, but I don't think this is a reason to simply give up and think that our shared condition is part of some grand scheme we can't hope to comprehend. If there were a god, I think he/she/it/pasta/dimension would have more important things to worry about than a bacterial skin infection on one species on a speck of rock in comparison to the infinite vastness of the universe/s.

Edited by Aaron123

What about those of us who are agnostic or atheist?

Maybe we should be working towards an actual cure or remedy instead of giving up hope and believing that it is merely up to fate from whichever of the 1000's of gods in the world that you happen to believe in.

I really don't mean to belittle you or troll the thread, and I know you mean well, so I earnestly apologize if this offends. If you get comfort from your beliefs, all the more power to you, but I don't think this is a reason to simply give up and think that our shared condition is part of some grand scheme we can't hope to comprehend. If there were a god, I think he/she/it/pasta/dimension would have more important things to worry about than a bacterial skin infection on one species on a speck of rock in comparison to the infinite vastness of the universe/s.

LOL. And don't forget, of the hundred billion stars that make up our galaxy, and the hundred billion galaxies that make up our universe, all that, everything we previously thought the universe was made up, is actually just 0.4% of all the matter in the universe.

thanks for the post thirty and hopeful! I agree, those last few lines definitely hit home for me also - I pray every night that there is a reason why I am where I am right now with my skin... But I will say, I have learned a lot about myself, more than I was ready for, since this last outbreak - funny how that works....

Have a good night

Wow, how sad. I do believe in God and good for you thirty & hopeful for focusing on what is the most important thing in the world. Without God, where is our hope?