Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I desperately need to gain weight. All this filtering of my diet has limited what I can eat (I didn't eat much in the first place). So I've lost weight even though I was thin to begin with. At the moment colostrum(6 grams), zinc (25 mg) and fish oil (4 grams) has kept me relatively clear. So at the moment I'm waiting for the red marks to heal. To gain weight I was thinking of re-introducing milk into my diet (I know how bad it is, but I found I got cystic acne from it only after drinking like two litres in a day, and I'm hoping colostrum will help me handle it, I might even get probiotics, advice?) in a milk shake with bananas and eggs (plus flavoring). But I'm not sure how these are for skin. Would it be OK with just like 1 banana and 4 eggs a day?

Well, I'd use yogurt or kefir rather than milk as a less problematic dairy product depending on the reasons you are intolerant to it, with the added benefit of containing probiotics.

But I'm sure you can find other sources of calories. Like avocados, almonds, almond or sunflower seed butter, olive oil drizzled on veggies and soups...

Eggs are pretty much only a problem if you are allergic and that you will have to figure out for yourself. It's also fairly common to be allergic to bananas.

Also, if you are going to take up the smoothie habit, try green smoothies with greens like kale, spinach or romaine blended with some berries, kiwi or a small apple. Add the yogurt, avocado, flax seed oil, etc for calories. See the green smoothie thread for ideas and more info on the benefits of getting your greens: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Food-and-...ce-t205099.html

Bananas are okay for me, I am eating one as we speak.

Egg yolks are okay too for me, NOT whites.

Back in '08, I went RAW vegan and dropped 6-8lbs in 2 weeks. I started crawing oils and fats; olive oil & avocados just didn't cut it for me. So one day I bought Tahini in a jar and ate the whole thing in one sitting, then bought a second jar. I noticed I gained 3-4 lbs from 2 jars.

Be careful, tahini (sesami paste) can break you out, if you're allergic to nuts.

Oh yea, I am currently using ghee instead of butter. Ghee is milk fat, minus the milk (lactose).

Ghee has ABSOLUTELY 0 effect on my acne, it actually IMRPOVES IT. I put it on my skin ( I know, gross? hehe) ..and it removes inflammation.

If you can eat potatoes, and you try ghee, but it smells bad for you and you can't tolerate it. Boil potatoes, make mashed potatoes and add ghee to it, you wont taste ghee at all & mashed potatoes+ghee will definitely make you gain weight.

Good luck. PM if you have more questions. :)

I want to add that cheese, milk also break me out...:(

Edited by Marrakech

I'm in a similar situation as you, I've lost a few more pounds than I want and am trying to find alternatives that won't cause a breakout. Bananas have sugar, which as you know causes a lot of people to break out. Fruits in general do. I avoid most refined sugars but I still eat a banana a day typically (can't help it, I'm a runner, it helps me avoid thigh cramps). I don't have problems with eggs. Today I bought organic eggs instead of the "regular" type. I also can't have regular milk. Soy seems to be ok for me but a lot of people can't tolerate it. I love cheese, but it doesn't take much to cause a breakout so I avoid it as much as possible. I am preparing to move overseas for a year long remote tour of duty and my co-workers are throwing a "going away" shindig. They asked what I wanted to eat. My list of items NOT to bring was ridiculous. I could hardly think of things they'd enjoy that I can also eat. LOL!

May I suggest Hemp Milk? It's so filling and it has Omega-3, the best brand is Living Harvest Hemp Milk: Original (in red package) , usually sold at PCC or Whole Foods. It's pricey.. $3.50 . No effect on face whatsoever.

Eggs are fine for most people, unless (as mentioned above) you have an allergy.

Bananas are high glycemic, so I usually eat them post-workout (within 2hrs after exercise), so that they won't raise my blood sugar as much. Milk is also high on the insulin index, so combining it with bananas may not be the best idea. Though if it works and you don't break out then go for it.

two words: almond milk

it is normally fortified with extra vitamins and if your store carries the sugar free kind (the whole foods near me does) then it is even better.. I love the taste too

I'm going to try almond milk when I can find it. So far, no luck around here. I have found hemp milk but am restricted from using any product that contains hemp - even though we all know it won't get me high. Too many idiots have used that as an excuse when they've failed pee tests so we all had to sign papers stating we'd been briefed that to use any product containing hemp was the same (to the military) as smoking weed. Ridiculous.

hi green mond,

I was in your situation at one point to. however i am now eating lots more and still avoid drinking milk. i now weigh 10.5 stone.

when i went into being scared of eating food i dropped to 9.7 at one point !! and for a 22 yr old guy who is 5,11.... wasnt a happy chappy

look into instant mass from reflex. contains organic barley and organic oats as the complex carbs.

it hasnt broken me out and ive been drinking its for the past 2 weeks everyday. (banana flavour)

mix with water, tastes great and its good knowing it contains pro biotics to to help your gut :)

you get over 1000 calories just from this shake alone.

Edited by want2beme

There are quite a few responses (thanks) so this might take me a while.

@alternativista: Well I've been told I was lactose intolerant when I was born but I "grew out of it." I think it must still be with me but in a much milder form. As before I found out about the acne/dairy connection I was drinking up to 2 litres of milk per day (but usually just 1 litre). And before I started taking colostrum I had acne just the same as before I stopped drinking milk. I found that fruit (I had fruit salads daily with lots of orange - I didn't digest it well) broke me out on the forehead and I've been left with dozens of red marks.

I've tried the "green smoothies". Even went out and bought a blender. I couldn't have more than one mouthful. It was awful. Don't think I'll ever like the taste or greens or be able to stand them. That's out. I know how important it as and how beneficial it would be but it was unbearable.

@Marrakech: That's encouraging. Seeing as you've not had problems with bananas or egg yolks. But what's the issue with the whites? Is it a common problem? I don't think I'm allergic to nuts as I often snack on cashews and pistachio. I'll look into this "tahini" but it doesn't sound all too appealing to me. At the moment I'm trying not to eat potatoes as I suspect I don't digest them well. But ghee sounds interesting. I'll research that also. I've never seen it in the store though.

@MilGirl: I'm still working on the sugar aspect of my diet. As Mum often brings me sweets even though I tell her not to. But without all those I'm left hungry without a snack. I guess I need alternatives for sweets too. Without all those I'm sure the sugar in a banana wouldn't be a problem. What's the difference between organic eggs and regular ones? Yeah that's the feeling I have too. I mean it's not all too bright of a situation to be in when you're a selective person who has to filter out some of the things on their already short list of foods to avoid acne. Such a burden.

@Marrakech: I've heard of hemp and hemp oil of course but never hemp milk. How is it made? Also what kind of colour is it? I'll look into but yeah I knew it'd be expensive and I don't have much to fund all of this. But I'll see. I suppose it'd be alkaline too as hemp oil is. Which is a plus.

@OntheRun: I've had eggs many times before and never noticed a reaction so I think I'm safe there. Just wondering if they would worsen the condition or inflammation. What's this about having them post-workout and not giving you as much of a rise in blood sugar? What's the science behind this, I'm not familiar.

@evasion: I'm not much of a fan of almonds so I'm not sure how I'd go with the almond milk. But the extra vitamins sounds like it's worth looking into. What vitamins exactly?

@urineforasurprise: I've never wanted to try it. Still don't.

@MilGirl: Yeah I don't see the sense in hemp products being banned. Then again I don't agree with the whole war on drugs (I don't use drugs but it's a waste of government funds and efforts as well as none of their business what we put into our own body). But it's no time for a discussion on that.

@want2beme: Hi :shifty2: How much is 10.5 stone in kilograms? As it's the unit I use and am familiar with. I've lost 10 kilograms which is a lot considering I was 60kg before. It's made me realize how serious this situation is and how much I have to change it. I'm 5'8 and considered underweight at this point. (I think I should be like 65 or something at this height and age - my goal, however unrealistic it might sound to some people right now, is to be 75kg. Most of it muscle, but that's a separate issue - I have too many issues with my appearance right now). So organic barley and oats are alright for my diet? I'll look it up and see if it's available in Australia. If it contains probiotics that's a big plus for me as I've been looking to take those anyway.

I hope all of you find this post and respond. Took me a while.

Edited by GreenMond

There are quite a few responses (thanks) so this might take me a while.

@alternativista: Well I've been told I was lactose intolerant when I was born but I "grew out of it." I think it must still be with me but in a much milder form. As before I found out about the acne/dairy connection I was drinking up to 2 litres of milk per day (but usually just 1 litre). And before I started taking colostrum I had acne just the same as before I stopped drinking milk. I found that fruit (I had fruit salads daily with lots of orange - I didn't digest it well) broke me out on the forehead and I've been left with dozens of red marks.

All the more reason to try yogurt or kefir vs milk as much of the lactose is broken down in the yogurt making process. And the yogurt/kefir has probiotics.

I can't imagine what you put into your smoothie to make it so horrible. The author of the smoothie thread makes smoothies for people who don't know and can't tell there's any greens in them. The one's I make, usually with mild greens like romaine or baby spinach and a kiwi, small apple or frozen blackberries, are delicious.

Citrus is a fairly common allergen. I break out in cysts from just about all citrus except lemons and Persian limes. And you shouldn't eat large amounts of fruit at any meal as that would make a high GL meal spiking your blood sugar.

Edited by alternativista

http://store.bluediamond.com/assets/images...e-unsw-orig.gif

This is the nutrition facts on the actual box.

But, it won't let me post the image even using img tags.

From the website:

Gluten, cholesterol and lactose free

Excellent source of calcium, vitamins D & E

Good source of vitamin A

A refreshing alternative to soy and rice non-dairy beverages

Refer to the image I linked if you want actual concrete numbers.

The one I linked is unsweetened so 0g of sugars!!!

I desperately need to gain weight. All this filtering of my diet has limited what I can eat (I didn't eat much in the first place). So I've lost weight even though I was thin to begin with. At the moment colostrum(6 grams), zinc (25 mg) and fish oil (4 grams) has kept me relatively clear. So at the moment I'm waiting for the red marks to heal. To gain weight I was thinking of re-introducing milk into my diet (I know how bad it is, but I found I got cystic acne from it only after drinking like two litres in a day, and I'm hoping colostrum will help me handle it, I might even get probiotics, advice?) in a milk shake with bananas and eggs (plus flavoring). But I'm not sure how these are for skin. Would it be OK with just like 1 banana and 4 eggs a day?

You should only eat 2 chicken eggs a week but there are quail eggs out there, and they are much better for you.You can eat them every day. I am not saying that you should, but you could. If I have to choose I rather eat quail eggs than chicken eggs. When it comes to bannanas you can even eat two bananas a day! Banannas are really good for you skin.Eat dates they are full of vitamin B, and they are really high calorie which is a good thing. Probiotics are really important I would start take them everyday if I where you because they are the most important part of are health. Probiotics help control yeast, and bacteria. What is important that you take alot of probiotics. Too much probiotics will never hurt you! I took 50 billion a day to control my yeast problems. I would not drink milk if I where you. Take almond milk it is better, and start eating alots of nuts.

@alternativista: It was more or less just all the greens I could think of (that I heard were "mild") and I think I put lemon and apple in there? Now that I think about it I understand how it was awful. Do you find it making much of a difference with your skin? The smoothies. Yeah citrus didn't agree with me. I've since stopped having the fruit salads. But feel like I still need fruits in my diet.

@evasion: I'll be looking for it next time I go to the chemist (or just the grocery store?). Hope it's not expensive.

@want2beme: Yeah $99 is quite expensive for me. How much do you buy it for and how long does it last? Have you been gaining weight with this and other diet changes? Keep me updated.

@sugarsweetie: Quail eggs are too small and I don't trust them. I'm just used to having chicken eggs so it'd feel strange. You've read that bananas are good for skin health? Link? Yeah I think I'll look into the almond milk and see if I can find it. Worth a try, and the taste of almonds doesn't bother me anyway. Probiotics I've been thinking about for a while (on top of colostrum). I'm sure my acne is directly related to my digestion. As I seem to have a lot of issues with it. Here's hoping they're not too expensive.

@want2beme: Yeah $99 is quite expensive for me. How much do you buy it for and how long does it last? Have you been gaining weight with this and other diet changes? Keep me updated.

i cant figure out why its that much for you! :S costs me £35 which will last about a week if you take 2 servings a day. yes i have put on 3 lbs. and I know its not just my weight fluctuating

Helps in recovery to. im going to continue buying it untill i am at my ideal weight. and yes my diet is good i eat lots of fresh fruit and veg, meat, chicken, bread, pasta. seems to be working atm!!

@MilGirl: I'm still working on the sugar aspect of my diet. As Mum often brings me sweets even though I tell her not to. But without all those I'm left hungry without a snack. I guess I need alternatives for sweets too. Without all those I'm sure the sugar in a banana wouldn't be a problem. What's the difference between organic eggs and regular ones? Yeah that's the feeling I have too. I mean it's not all too bright of a situation to be in when you're a selective person who has to filter out some of the things on their already short list of foods to avoid acne. Such a burden.

@MilGirl: Yeah I don't see the sense in hemp products being banned. Then again I don't agree with the whole war on drugs (I don't use drugs but it's a waste of government funds and efforts as well as none of their business what we put into our own body). But it's no time for a discussion on that.

I am with you on the idea that the sugar in a banana is a much lesser evil than other sweets. My husband tends to eat sugary stuff when he's stressed, & as a business owner, he's stressed a lot. So he will often bring home a "treat" and I have to be almost rude in refusing to partake. Yes, I could physically eat it & not get fat from it with the level of activity I engage in, but I know I'll break out. I love sugar, but it's not worth it. I just remove myself from it's presence. If coworkers are eating cake or cookies, I go find something else to work on until they finish. For a while I stopped eating bananas but it didn't change my skin at all & I missed that potassium for my thigh muscles. I was just realizing that this past 1.5 weeks I've had 2 a day - 1 w/my organic hot cereal in the morning, 1 in the afternoon around 3-4. My skin looks pretty damn good so they aren't my trigger! But most fruit IS high in sugar content, so beware how much you take in each day.

And as for that "war on drugs" well... I see the harm some of them do. I also see that it is a waste of funds to fight it the way they are. But as I'm government employed, I see a LOT of waste of funds on a daily basis. At least there are some good intentions behind that particular expenditure, whereas having multiple 60"+ flat screens that never get hooked up per building is a true waste. They buy us TV's right & left, but won't pay for a cable bill? Figures.

This was strange: Looking in the fridge earlier I noticed a jar of the aforementioned "Tahini" on the top shelf right in the middle. I had no idea we had this. Smells like peanut butter kind of. I didn't taste it because the jar looked old and the paste was kind of watery. I also found a can of coconut milk in the cupboard. Wondering if this would be a good alternative for milk. If someone has experience with it. And $99 a week? That doesn't seem expensive to you? I have no money.

how do you know bananas are high GI? i cant seem to get a clear answer through google-some sites say low others say medium or high GI

how do you know bananas are high GI? i cant seem to get a clear answer through google-some sites say low others say medium or high GI

I could post links all day... They are high in sugar. That doesn't mean they'll break you out, necessarily. We all have different triggers. For me, bananas don't cause a break out, but many other sources of sugar do.

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-bananas-i9040

http://www.finetuneyou.com/Bananas.html

http://blog.nutritiondata.com/ndblog/2007/...d_are_bana.html

http://www.mercola.com/nutritionplan/foodalert.htm#Bananas

@OP - I forgot to mention last night that the difference between regular and organic eggs are the chickens. Most chicken farms feed their chicks lots of steroid/hormones/etc, causing them to grow rapidly and produce mega amounts of eggs. Organic eggs are from chickens who are naturally hatched and raised on only organic food, no steroids or anything added to their diets. They are a tad more expensive. I think they taste better, but the yolks tend to break really easily. Since I usually scramble them anyway I don't really care.