Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LLL3

Who has it worse? guys or girls?

Are girls with acne "looked at" much more differently than guys with acne? please discuss...

neither, sucks for both, but girls always have acne worse.. hence why most skin care commercials advertising anti acne stuff ALWAYS have girls in it, sometimes guys, girls are just much more prone to breakout due to hormonal differences

neither, sucks for both, but girls always have acne worse.. hence why most skin care commercials advertising anti acne stuff ALWAYS have girls in it, sometimes guys, girls are just much more prone to breakout due to hormonal differences

idk, I feel like I've seen more guys with severe acne than ladies... always felt discouraged in high school b/c all the other girls seemed to have flawless skin... course we get to wear makeup to hide it...

plus, women feel immense pressure to have flawless skin. I'm not a guy so I can't say it is less bothersome to them, but I do feel that in our culture, women have more to live up to in the looks department.

Edited by LittleTweety

We both have it as bad in the context of emotional and mental strain. On the physical side, I've seen a he'll of a lot more guys with acne than girls, maybe this means girls are under greater pressure to have clear skin? I don't know.

lol this is brought up SO much...its hard for both in different ways...i think the standard for girls is set higher when it comes to beauty but they can use make up to hide alot of their problems...where as for guys we can easily get away with a few zits here and there but shaving sucks so much with acne because it can be painful and youre left with cuts and scabs and every time further risk scarring.

I think guys usually have more severe acne and girls can cover their acne with makeup (usually). But I think looks matter more for girls, no matter what anyone says. It's important for me to feel pretty and if I feel ugly, as in I have a bad break out, I just don't go out.

It's definitely easier for girls to hide their acne, but I also think they are judged alot more harshly than guys with acne.

As a guy, I would say girls with acne have it worse than guys. Girls in general are a lot less superficial than guys are and I often see an attractive girl with a guy that has moderate acne, but almost never the other way around.

I think its harder on girls to have it as mentioned above with pressure to have good skin, but then again there is a friend of mine whos a girl and she gets spots all the time, sometimes very noticable and I still think she's pretty hot :P I think if you get spots yourself you tend to overlook it in moderation (im a lad obviously).

IMO there is no need to try and segregate ourselves here. We all have it bad. The only "upper hand" I see in this situation is that girls can use make up to cover up acne. Although us guys can also use make up, I just have a problem with putting it on my skin.

It's definitely easier for girls to hide their acne, but I also think they are judged alot more harshly than guys with acne.

This.

However, just because guys with acne aren't judged as much as girls with acne, doesn't mean guys with acne suffer less than girls with acne. I believe the 'torture feeling' aspect is equal bewteen sexes.

So all in all, I believe it is worse off for guys to have acne, because they can't cover it up.

Seriously, girls have many more options - I'm sure the number of guys and girls who have acne are equal, but I seriously can't think of a single girl I know who has acne, because they all cover it up with makeup.

Edited by Beautiful Day

idk, I feel like I've seen more guys with severe acne than ladies... always felt discouraged in high school b/c all the other girls seemed to have flawless skin... course we get to wear makeup to hide it...

plus, women feel immense pressure to have flawless skin. I'm not a guy so I can't say it is less bothersome to them, but I do feel that in our culture, women have more to live up to in the looks department.

I dunno girls can hide it with make up too!!

I don't think it ranges between genders just people

Females : they take care of themselves as a general population, more so than men.

Males : they generally have rough skin, which is easier on the eyes when you have a bit of scarring.

Regardless of gendre, if one has severe acne, then one must usually behave in a much more positive manner, to deflect any stereotypes or judgments people will make about you. Our society rewards a healthy looking person - they are generally treated better. This doesn't reflect my own opinion - I try my hardest not to judge based on looks.