Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
theGreyhound

Can you become resistant to TEA TREE OIL?

I have been mixing tea tree oil (in very small concentrations) into my shampoo to treat my scalp, as well as swabbing diluted tea tree oil onto my face every few days.

Is it possible for the body/skin/bacteria to become resistant to this stuff in the way that it can become resistant to an antibiotic?

-Andrew

I'm not sure, but I did read that tea tree oil shampoo can have estrogenic effects in men. You might want to do a web search.

It seems as if I became gradually immune to tea tree oil's acne fighting effects after 6 months of use. Initially upon using it, my acne subsided immensely. I was using a tea tree oil face wash and dabbing on a few drops of undiluted tea tree oil after putting on moisturizer. I immediately so clear when I began doing this-it seemed miraculous after suffering from acne from 10 years. Unfortunately, it has returned though, to much dismay. I thought I had found my cure, but I did not. I continue to use it, but to no avail. I have no idea why it ceased clearing my skin.

It seems as if I became gradually immune to tea tree oil's acne fighting effects after 6 months of use. Initially upon using it, my acne subsided immensely. I was using a tea tree oil face wash and dabbing on a few drops of undiluted tea tree oil after putting on moisturizer. I immediately so clear when I began doing this-it seemed miraculous after suffering from acne from 10 years. Unfortunately, it has returned though, to much dismay. I thought I had found my cure, but I did not. I continue to use it, but to no avail. I have no idea why it ceased clearing my skin.

Agree.

I think what I will do then, is rotate products every three to six months.

From tea tree oil to benzol peroxide, to something else, and back to tea tree oil. That is, if I become resistant.

Hopefully by the time I've done a round of rotations my acne is gone anyway. Since accutane it's been greatly reduced and I feel my body is outgrowing it finally.

agree with you andrew... i came to be resistant to tea tree oil... it worked for 6 months or so,

gone back to bp

Interesting- I noticed the same thing- tea tree oil seemed to help a bit, then not... bummer.