Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
faithinhim

Focusing on JOY through Accutane

56 Days Post Accutane

Well, I can't believe it's been 56 days since I took my last pill! Amazingly, my skin is still clear. Blackheads are starting to move back into my nose, but I'm not too worried about them. My lips are still dry. I'm starting to doubt that they'll ever return to normal. It's not that they look chapped or anything, they just seem to lack moisture. Or maybe I've just gotten used to how they feel with chapstick on them???

School is super busy. I had three tests and an essay to write on a single day last week. Luckily, I've had a slow week this week of just regular homework and nothing extra.

60 Days Post Accutane

Yes, I realize that I just posted 4 days ago. And, yes, I also realize that nothing has changed since then. But, I want to make this log as accurate as possible to help other people who are considering Accutane.

I haven't really written about this, but my oil is back with a vengeance. I have to wash my hair everyday now. And even with that daily washing, my hair still feels yucky by the end of the day. Part of me wishes I was still on Accutane so I could get away with only washing my hair once a week. I just absolutely hate washing my hair. Okay, it's not the washing that I hate. It's the walking around with a head full of wet hair that really irritates me.

I've also noticed that my skin gets oily and slick. I'm not wearing makeup, but if I was this would be a much more annoying development. I never really took notice of the oil in my hair/skin until Accutane took it away. Strange...

I've been trying to be a good student today and work ahead on my school work. I've been reading about how to analyze tests and assign grades to students and about the history of the SAT. When I'm not reading those two books--I'm reading this 730 page book about a German family--Buddenbrooks. I have such an exciting life!

60 Days Post Accutane

Yes, I realize that I just posted 4 days ago. And, yes, I also realize that nothing has changed since then. But, I want to make this log as accurate as possible to help other people who are considering Accutane.

I haven't really written about this, but my oil is back with a vengeance. I have to wash my hair everyday now. And even with that daily washing, my hair still feels yucky by the end of the day. Part of me wishes I was still on Accutane so I could get away with only washing my hair once a week. I just absolutely hate washing my hair. Okay, it's not the washing that I hate. It's the walking around with a head full of wet hair that really irritates me.

I've also noticed that my skin gets oily and slick. I'm not wearing makeup, but if I was this would be a much more annoying development. I never really took notice of the oil in my hair/skin until Accutane took it away. Strange...

I've been trying to be a good student today and work ahead on my school work. I've been reading about how to analyze tests and assign grades to students and about the history of the SAT. When I'm not reading those two books--I'm reading this 730 page book about a German family--Buddenbrooks. I have such an exciting life!

haha i know i should ask about the oil or the skin, but tell me more about the book?! who is the author?

p.s oily skin is the worst is there anything we can do about t? anyone? reading this.. toners have been known to help me in the past actually come to think of it. witch hazel used to feel good? and try putting a little lavenders oil in your shampoo. it worked for my flatmate :) and dry shampoo! have you tried that? works quite well for this problem.

j x

Hey Jennyband! I must have made this book sound way more interesting than it actually is. :) The book is Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann. I've read a third of it so far. It's about a girl named Agathe. Her family pressures her into marrying this guy who is way older than her because it would be a good match for their family. It turns out that he really doesn't have a penny to his name. So, she divorces him when she finds out he's bankrupt. I've still got over 500 pages to read, so I'm sure there is a lot more to the story.

I hadn't really thought about doing anything about my oily skin. I remember using toner a long time ago. Maybe I should pick up a new bottle next time I'm at the store. I've always been intrigued by the idea of dry shampoo. Maybe I should get some and try it. Thank you for all the suggestions!

66 Days Post Accutane

My skin is still clear--a few blackheads and flesh colored, pretty much invisible to everybody except myself bumps that come and go. Overall, I'm thrilled with my skin!

I'm really frustrated with my derm's office right now, though. I just got a letter from ipledge informing me that my pregnancy test results are overdue. At my last appointment, I tried really hard to convince the nurse that I would need to have one more pregnancy test, but she kept telling me I was done, completely done.

So, I guess I'll call my derm's office in the morning and try to get them to send paperwork to the lab so I can take my final pregnancy test. I mean, obviously, I'm not pregnant. It would be really nice if I didn't have to go do a pregnancy test... I just have a feeling that it's going to be a real hassle. Let's just say my derm's office and the lab's office don't work well together.

I'll keep you updated!

70 Days Post Accutane

So, I called my derm's office Monday morning to tell them that I had gotten a letter from Iplege telling me that I was missing a pregnancy test. When do they call me back? Monday Afternoon? No. Tuesday? No. Wednesday Morning? No. Wednesday Afternoon? Finally, yes.

The nurse on the other end of the phone was like, "So you got a letter from Ipledge saying you were missing a pregnancy test?" Yes. "Didn't you have one done on August 10th?" Yes. They say I need to have another one in addition to that one.

I'm a little confused. I mean, my derm's office actually has 6 different derms. I figure they have a lot of Accutane patients. So, why do they still not understand how Ipledge works?

So, I went to have my final pregnancy test done at the lab this morning. The nurse on the phone had insisted that my standing order would still be good. It wasn't, but I knew that going into this. My standing order had been expired two months ago when I had my last pregnancy test done.

Luckily, the lady at the lab was really nice, and she called the doctor's office and got everything taken care of.

Now, I just hope that my derm's office enters the results of the test into Ipledge. We'll see. If they don't will Ipledge keep sending me form letters???

Sorry for that rant.

Skin-wise, I have a new sorta-active on my forehead. I don't exactly know what to call it. It's like a pimple, but it's not red and inflamed. So, unless you're looking for it--you wouldn't even know it's there. It kinda looks like it could be forming a tiny whitehead. But I've never seen a non-red/non-inflamed pimple form a whitehead...

I'm trying to be optimistic. I shouldn't expect to never have another pimple just because I took Accutane. My skin is so, so, so oily. Honestly, I don't remember it being this oily before Accutane. So, I should expect a breakout or two every once in a while. I still have great looking skin. Most people have a few breakouts every once in a while. I just need to keep telling myself this over and over and over.

fel_han: It's good to hear from you. I miss reading everyone's Accutane adventures.

102 Days Post Accutane

Wow! I can't believe it's already been over a hundred days since I finished my Accutane course! I have the most petite little pimple on my cheek at the moment. Actually, it's so petite that it's practically cute.

My skin is not flawless. I still get a random pimple every great once in a while, but these breakouts are so, so different from those I had pre-Accutane. Pre-Accutane, my pimples would be humongous and they'd form great big white heads that just made them stand out that much more. They always looked like they were seconds away from bursting. This, of course, would lead to my picking at them. Now, I get tiny little spots that are so inconsequential.

Sure, they stress me out a little but I think that's just because I've spent the last year and a half of my life constantly critiquing my skin.

It's so great having clear skin! It's even got me some attention from guys that I go to school with. Let me rephrase that--really awkward creepy guys that I go to school with. People keep telling me I should be flattered, but... Well--maybe I should just tell you the entire story.

So, there's a super smart, super awkward, super weird guy that used to sit in front of me in my math class. A couple of weeks ago, I was having dinner with one of my best friends at Subway. We were just chatting and eating our sandwiches, talking about how school was going. I look up and the awkward guy from my math class (I'll call him Charlie even though that's not his real name) is at the fountain drinks. I'd told my friend about some of the weird things that he'd said in class, but she'd never met him. So, I pointed out the guy so she could have an idea of what he looked like.

He decides to join us for dinner, uninvited. He spends the next 5 or so minutes talking non-stop, not even unwrapping his footlong sub. Meanwhile, my friend and I are trying our best to keep from just laughing hysterically. This leads to my friend drinking extreme amounts of lemonade just to have something to do.

So, my friend eventually drains her cup and goes to refill it. Charlie takes this opportunity to talk with me one-on-one.

HIM: Do you know why I always sit by you in math class?

ME: No

Him: Because you're pretty.

How am I supposed to respond to this? Weird...

HIM: What's your name? I've forgotten.

HIM: Do you know my name?

Okay. This conversation's awkwardness factor has just jumped OFF the charts.

So, my friend returns, and Charlie decides to go on and on and on for 10-15 minutes about how cell phone chargers and surge protectors work. He also gives us his theory about year round vs traditional school years. He tells us of his days as a pizza delivery driver. He asks if I was in Calculus III 5 years ago. Ummm...Five years ago I was in high school... He tells tons of jokes that go way, way, way over our heads. He has this big long story about how we can use all this information we learned in organic chemistry ii, advanced physical chemistry, and other chemistry classes to apply to new problems. Ummm...I've never taken any of those classes.

Finally, he was like "Would you like to start eating with me and hanging out with me?" Did he just ask me out?????

My response: Ummm...I'm really busy. I don't think I have time. I have a lot of stuff to do. I have a ton of homework. I don't think I can. You know I'm really busy...

His response: I could pick you up and carry you so you could come eat with me.

My response: WHAT????

Charlie: I could carry you that way you'd be able to come and eat with me.

Me: I don't think so. I'm really busy.

I have to say that this was the most awkward conversation of my life thus far! I think he got the message though and he's avoiding me. Let's just say he hasn't sat by me in math class since.

THERE'S A DEFINITE PROBLEM IF YOU HAVE TO ASK A GIRL HER NAME IN THE SAME CONVERSATION IN WHICH YOU ASK HER OUT. Just sayin.

If you read all of that, I'm impressed. Extremely impressed. I just don't understand why only awkward guys only ever ask me out.

hahaha - I loved this story. Made for a great laugh in the middle of a very stressful day :) I hope creepy math class guy keeps his distance hehe - but it is nice to hear when someone thinks you are pretty, even if its not the "boy of your dreams" its still fun!

Hope you had a wonderful holiday!

154 Days Post Accutane

I've got bad news, guys. I've been breaking out pretty consistently for about a month now. Even my chest is breaking out, and it's been clear for over a year, even before I took Accutane.

I have a derm appointment tomorrow. She said if I started breaking out to come back and see her. I really hope that I'm just overreacting and this isn't anything major, but I don't want to take any chances.

My breakouts now are completely different than pre-accutane. They're smaller, heal faster, and don't appear to be scarring. *Crosses Fingers*

Thanks guys for all the support! I'll try to update soon and let you know what my derm says. I have a feeling she'll not put me back on Accutane, but we'll see.

Hang in there lovely.. I'm with u. Do update us on your upcoming review with your derm.

I jus found out that I might b having the purging effect from the lactic acid serum which I have jus started to use about 2 weeks ago.. But I know I can't stop using it since it is actually pushing out the remaining gunk from my roaccutane days..

Do not give up. I know it's easier to say than to be done. Just remember, In any case, we still have tane to fall back on. *hugs*

157 Days Post Accutane

I saw my derm on Wednesday, and she prescribed Atralin. From my research, I've learned that Atralin is a form of Retin-A that has a collagen base that makes it more moisturizing and less-drying. According to my derm, it should not only help these tiny breakouts, but it will help smooth my previous acne scars.

My derm opted for this treatment because my breakouts are small and not deep which means they're not scarring like my breakouts were when I started Accutane.

I've used the Atralin twice, and I haven't had any bad reaction so far. She did tell me to apply it at least 20 minutes after washing my face to reduce the chance of dryness.

I'm hoping that I'm able to skip the initial breakout that she mentioned was possible. But, I do realize that my skin needs to get rid of all this gunk that's built up over the past month or so.

I'll keep you guys posted on my progress with Atralin.

yeah if it's anything like retin-a it'll really help with the "gunk" buildup. The retin-a just seems to clean everything out for me! Good luck :)

faithinhim: Good luck with atralin! I hope u would get cleared very soon. Topicals are known to work better post-tane.

Update here on your progress ya.... *hugs*

171 Days Post Accutane

Day 19 of Atralin (Tretinoin)

Well, I think I'm going through the ib. I woke up this morning to my face looking like a war zone. I'd so gotten used to being one of those people with near perfect skin. Accutane had been my savior and redeemer in the battle against acne. But, it seems that accutane was merely a mediator. It struck a truce with acne that lasted a while, but eventually crumbled.

Okay, looking back over what I just typed, I think that school and homework has driven me crazy. I am taking two super stressful math courses this semester: topology and applied probability. I go to class and nothing the professors say makes sense. Or, it makes sense in class but not when I go to do my homework. It's only January and I already can't wait for this semester to be OVER.

Oh, and my back has started to break out. I have the worst luck. I really do hope that this is my ib and not just my acne getting worse. Because my acne was super mild when I went and saw my derm. Now, we're nearing moderate. Please, please, please let this be temporary.

I just want clear, manageable skin back. Is that too much to ask for? I'm trying to remind myself to be patient. This atralin gel needs to push all the bad stuff out so that I can have clear skin again. According to the website, it takes up to 12 weeks to see results.

Thank you guys for all your support! I can't imagine going through this battle without you! I hope that my next update is much more cheerful! If I can just get through this ib, I'm going to be okay.

194 Days Post Accutane

Day 40 of Atralin (Tretinoin)

Well, I'm feeling much, much, much better about my skin now compared to just a few weeks ago.

I think I'm finally getting over the initial breakouts from Atralin. Actually, I've been saying that for weeks now. Then, the next day or so I get a new crop of tiny little pimples popping up on my forehead.

So, I feel like I've made improvement because I can look in the mirror and, for the most part, confidently say "I love my skin." Sure, there are some days where I'm not too happy about the state of my forehead but those are becoming less and less common. Or, at least I hope they are.

Thank you guys for all the support you have given me and continue to give me. I don't know how I would get through any of this without you.

251 Days Post Accutane

Day 97 of Atralin

Right now, I'm pretty consistently having around two actives on my face at all times. Every once in a while, I'll have a day or two where my skin is actually pretty clear with just some healing spots.

It seems like my breakouts are leaving those annoying red marks again like my pre-accutane days.

Some days, I question whether the Atralin is doing anything or not. I guess it probably is; it's just not completely clearing me up like I would hope.

I read online somewhere that retin-a products can take up to a year to fully work. Has anyone else heard this or had experience with this?

I got a new hair cut a few weeks ago, and that has cheered me up some. School is just so, so busy right now. I've got a billion tests and a paper to write in the next three weeks. But, there is a light at the end of the tunnel: summer! I can't believe that I only have one more year of college left!

Anywho... here's a picture from a week or two ago. This shows my skin on a pretty good day. My current skin is a tad worse than that in the picture--I've got two unsightly actives. Well, actually, I kinda helped one along by picking at it, so we'll see what it looks like in the morning. Hopefully the neosporin and atralin will keep it from acting up too badly.

In other news, I'm debating whether I should set up another appointment with my derm. The last time I saw her, she acted like this acne was no big deal, here's some Atralin. I know these breakouts aren't cystic, and I need to count my blessings. But, I just want my clear, carefree skin back that I had for 5 months after my accutane course.

post-10247-1302578134_thumb.jpg