Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
New to This

2007 Expiration: Proactiv benzoyl peroxide?

I found the regimen today and wanted to try it out. I have an old bottle that expire in 2007 of 2.5% benzoyl peroxide medication from Proactiv... does anybody know if these things go bad in a way that would negative affect me?

IMO any Proactive bottle -expired or not- would have a negative impact on both your skin and your wallet. I would not use a bottle that expired in 2007. It probably isn't dangerous, but the BP won't be as efficient.

IMO why do you say that? In the faqs, Dan has the opinion that that the benzoyl peroxide from Proactiv is fine to use (just more expensive than buying from a drugstore your own), and so if you already have a bottle, to use it. Also, you don't know my skin, and while proactiv obviously doesn't work well for you, it does for some. Lastly, as far as hurting my wallet, buying any form of benzoyl peroxide will hurt my wallet. While Dan recommends against it as a cost effective way of buying benzoyl peroxide, that is not my situation. I already said I have an old bottle, so using it won't hurt my wallet, and since I already have it, would actually save me a few bucks in the future so I won't have to buy more (if buying this stuff becomes a habit)... of course that's the case if this old stuff can actually be used.

Do you have proof/experience that the bp won't be as effective? Also, since I've never smothered myself with this stuff, and according to the regimen, I shouldn't be using too much to start off with in the first place, wouldn't I still get a good result from using it?

BP loses its efficacy over time. That's just what happens when it expires. Using expired products, especially products that expired that long ago, just isn't a good idea. At this point, you'd pretty much be wasting your time with it.

If you want to use BP, just go out and get some that isn't expired.

BP loses its efficacy over time. That's just what happens when it expires. Using expired products, especially products that expired that long ago, just isn't a good idea. At this point, you'd pretty much be wasting your time with it.

If you want to use BP, just go out and get some that isn't expired.

Cool. Thanks c'est :) I'll leave them in the garbage then. I guess I just wanted to know if it was worth my time to test the regimen with it. Question answered. If anyone else wants to reply, I won't be reading :dance:

IMO why do you say that? In the faqs, Dan has the opinion that that the benzoyl peroxide from Proactiv is fine to use (just more expensive than buying from a drugstore your own), and so if you already have a bottle, to use it. Also, you don't know my skin, and while proactiv obviously doesn't work well for you, it does for some. Lastly, as far as hurting my wallet, buying any form of benzoyl peroxide will hurt my wallet. While Dan recommends against it as a cost effective way of buying benzoyl peroxide, that is not my situation. I already said I have an old bottle, so using it won't hurt my wallet, and since I already have it, would actually save me a few bucks in the future so I won't have to buy more (if buying this stuff becomes a habit)... of course that's the case if this old stuff can actually be used.

Do you have proof/experience that the bp won't be as effective? Also, since I've never smothered myself with this stuff, and according to the regimen, I shouldn't be using too much to start off with in the first place, wouldn't I still get a good result from using it?

Wow, keep your pants on. I didn't mean to be rude. Look at the reviews on this site. They're not good. And the same applies to other sites that have Proactive reviews. It's just that many people have bad results and it's way too expensive too. Btw: I never used it, I cleared myself with diet changes. You put it just right: it does work for some. Besides that: there's a big difference between hurting your wallet and teasing it a little ;) I know that it's an old bottle, but once you start a regimen with certain products you normally stick with them (provided they give you the desired results). So in that respect it would be wiser to not choose Proactiv.

If you search for bp expiration, you'll find that most websites tell you to throw it away after the expiration date. I found some articles that claimed it could still be used, but it would be less efficient. In your case I would not use it, the expiration date is over 2 years ago. I doubt that you'd get good results with it, that date isn't there for no reason. I'd go and buy some fresh bp.