Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darkling

Skin quality once you stop using Retin-A.

Hey y'all =)

Hypothetical question!

My skin before Retin-A had big pores, scars (mild rolling and ice pick) and was dull and oily.

Suppose Retin-A gets rid of the large pores (or at least minimizes them) over months, heals my scars and makes my skin glow and non-oily and reduces fine lines.

Will I really keep this skin for the rest of my life or what should I do to maintain the effects of Retin-A?

I believe my skin is improving, but I don't want it to degenerate instantly once I get off Retin-A, though I know I could stay on it for the rest of my life.

Thanks for your help!

I would really love to know the exact same thing! I have wondered this for a long time now... I have used Retin-A (a miracle drug, it really IS!) for a year and four months now. I got terrible hormonal acne on my chin and forehead in my late teens, and I still use Retin-A and have a few spots even while on it. (I am 21 now.)

I love this drug and I want to keep using it for it's effect of keeping acne at bay and of course for its anti-aging properties as well! I just get so sick of skin care, I mean, what would happen if I just stopped using it and like, stayed up all night clubbing or camping and just never worrying about getting home and applying Retin-A on time? I just wanna know, will my skin get all gross and red and peeling like it was the first 3 months I used Retin-A if I stop? I don't want that! But I want to stop worrying about "maintaining" my face! It's a pain when you are in the "fun years" of your life and you just wanna have a good time, ya know?

All the other folks at my age do not have these worries and skin care burdens, so why must I? I just would like if someone could help me figure out if I stopped using it after a year and four months, would that be ok? Or would I get all "acne-fied" again?!!!

Thanks peoples! I would really like to hear from those of you who HAVE HAD EXPERIENCE WITH STOPPING RETIN-A OR ANY RETINOID! :)

Edited by jewelsbeerlover

Sadly if you stop using retin A or any other retinoid your skin condition will slowly come back. I suppose you probably could ask your derm for the cream indefinitely. I know that retin-A is very popular among women over 40 for improving skin texture. If you can't get the retinoid prescription you might consider an over the counter topical preparation that has retinol (needs to be at a high concentration) or retinaldehyde.

AHAs, azelaic acid and mandelic acid might give similar results to retinoids.

I use it every night, too afraid not to! I apply it after washing with Cetaphil. I dunno what Darkling does! I still wanna know what would happen to my skin! I also use Clyndamicyn gel in the AM! I wanna stop using both products, but I am so afraid too! Aghhh!

I use it every night, too afraid not to! I apply it after washing with Cetaphil. I dunno what Darkling does! I still wanna know what would happen to my skin! I also use Clyndamicyn gel in the AM! I wanna stop using both products, but I am so afraid too! Aghhh!

Oh, and I also take fish oil 3X a day! Maybe that would be ok if I stopped retin-a and clyndamicyn?

Acne aside, use it for anti-aging benefits!

You will look soooo much younger throughout your life! Everyone who had skin you were jealous of will be jealous of yours when theirs is getting fine lines, forehead wrinkles, nasolabial folds...etc

How awesome would that feel to be on the other side of the spectrum for a change! I plan to use a form of Vitamin A therapy for the rest of my life! The only non prescription one I would EVER bother using is the one from Skinceuticals. But for now, it's Rx Tretinoin.

I am clear, too =) Retin-A is fading my redmarks and mild scarring. Sometimes I fear that if I use Retin-A until I'm, like 40, and I suddenly stop, my skin will dramatically degenerate to compensate the aging process I've held off until that point, LOL! Doesn't work like that, right?

I apply Retin-A every night, after Cetaphil (just like jewelsbeerlover, woo!) and I've been on it for 8 weeks. I guess I'd be OK with using it indefinitely, as long as if I were to stop, my skin wouldn't go downhill faster than the speed of light.

Does it really prevent nasolabial folds? That's cool!

do you think it's ok to like not use retin-a for a week or two or so? or will my skin get all gross and go thru another IB when i start applying it again? Thats really something i always wonder about!

do you think it's ok to like not use retin-a for a week or two or so? or will my skin get all gross and go thru another IB when i start applying it again? Thats really something i always wonder about!

Hmm, I highly doubt that. I've heard that if you intend on exposing yourself to the sun (say you're going to the beach), you just stop using Retin-A a week or so in advance. If you are clear as a sunny day as of now, I don't see the problem, especially if you've been clear for a long time. I had to stop for a few days because the itching and redness was out of control, and my skin actually felt better, LOL!

Retin-A can cause that red/dry itching & peeling. You need moisturizer. I apply my retin-a, wait at least 30 min, then a small amount of jojoba oil. It feels amazing and ever since I started using it as a moisturizer I stopped having any irritation from the retin-a. I tried cetaphil cleanser and moisturizer - it was very drying in comparison to the oil cleansing method and jojoba oil. I previously had very oily skin but now it's about perfectly balanced. It's been 10 weeks as of Tues that I've been on this stuff. I don't see any reason to quit, my skin is finally clear. I didn't go through the IB for nothing! LOL! It's time to fade the scars and get on with life.

Retin-A can cause that red/dry itching & peeling. You need moisturizer. I apply my retin-a, wait at least 30 min, then a small amount of jojoba oil. It feels amazing and ever since I started using it as a moisturizer I stopped having any irritation from the retin-a. I tried cetaphil cleanser and moisturizer - it was very drying in comparison to the oil cleansing method and jojoba oil. I previously had very oily skin but now it's about perfectly balanced. It's been 10 weeks as of Tues that I've been on this stuff. I don't see any reason to quit, my skin is finally clear. I didn't go through the IB for nothing! LOL! It's time to fade the scars and get on with life.

What's the brand name of the Jojoba Oil you use? I actually have the 100% Jojoba Oil (not the "organic" one, though I don't know what the difference could possibly be) from Desert Essences and I hated the greasiness, yellowness of it when I used it back when my acne was really bad. I think it made my acne breakout further, actually. Do you have any tips?

What's the brand name of the Jojoba Oil you use? I actually have the 100% Jojoba Oil (not the "organic" one, though I don't know what the difference could possibly be) from Desert Essences and I hated the greasiness, yellowness of it when I used it back when my acne was really bad. I think it made my acne breakout further, actually. Do you have any tips?

Lilie De Vallee is what I use - it's a locally made product, all organic. I can get it at an organic foods store here, but I googled it and it can be ordered online. Good thing, since I'm moving across the world in a month! LOL!

The issue with jojoba oil is it only takes a couple of drops. Yes, it's yellow, but with only a couple of drops it doesn't tint your skin a funny color or anything. If you get a little to much, just take a tissue and blot gently. I put a little more on before bed than I do in the mornings. When I get up, I rinse with cold water, then I take a shower. I don't wash my face with any soaps ever. When removing makeup, I use the oil cleansing method.

Before I put on makeup, I use a little jojoba oil to moisturize and blot if I have a bit much. It works great under makeup. I used to get dry flaky areas after 4-6 hours due to the retin-a, especially around my chin area. With the jojoba oil, I maintain the perfect moisture balance. If I have shine I don't like, I just blot gently over my makeup with tissue and that's it. I used to spend a lot on oil blotting sheets but I rarely use them now - just as a backup if I don't have any tissue available. My makeup lasts hours longer than it did before. I only use concealer and powder, no foundations. In fact the jojoba oil makes the powder appear a bit like a foundation, just lighter and allows my skin to breath still.

I'm not saying it works for everyone, but I saw so many people here used it with success that I took the plunge and tried it. I had reservations due to very oily skin - I thought, why add oil to skin that's already oily? Why do I need moisturizer? But now everything is balanced and I'm glad I gave this a shot.

Lilie De Vallee is what I use - it's a locally made product, all organic. I can get it at an organic foods store here, but I googled it and it can be ordered online. Good thing, since I'm moving across the world in a month! LOL!

The issue with jojoba oil is it only takes a couple of drops. Yes, it's yellow, but with only a couple of drops it doesn't tint your skin a funny color or anything. If you get a little to much, just take a tissue and blot gently. I put a little more on before bed than I do in the mornings. When I get up, I rinse with cold water, then I take a shower. I don't wash my face with any soaps ever. When removing makeup, I use the oil cleansing method.

Before I put on makeup, I use a little jojoba oil to moisturize and blot if I have a bit much. It works great under makeup. I used to get dry flaky areas after 4-6 hours due to the retin-a, especially around my chin area. With the jojoba oil, I maintain the perfect moisture balance. If I have shine I don't like, I just blot gently over my makeup with tissue and that's it. I used to spend a lot on oil blotting sheets but I rarely use them now - just as a backup if I don't have any tissue available. My makeup lasts hours longer than it did before. I only use concealer and powder, no foundations. In fact the jojoba oil makes the powder appear a bit like a foundation, just lighter and allows my skin to breath still.

I'm not saying it works for everyone, but I saw so many people here used it with success that I took the plunge and tried it. I had reservations due to very oily skin - I thought, why add oil to skin that's already oily? Why do I need moisturizer? But now everything is balanced and I'm glad I gave this a shot.

It sounds like a life saver, I'll definitely start using it again tonight! Thank you so much! I was tempted to try the oil cleansing method myself a few months ago, but I never got round to it. I'm guessing you recommend it =)? Out of curiosity, what powder do you use? It's hard to find one that doesn't cake =].

Hey guys!

I've been using retin a micro for about a month now and it seems that my skin is getting bad, it's still red and whiteheads are popping up. How long does it take to see improvement for you guys? Does retin a micro help with scarring?? I have a couple or red/purple marks and I hope it would work! I'm getting a GA peel on tuesday!!! kinda nervous!!!! XDDDDD Oh yeah, my name's Diane by the way, but people call me Didi!!!! If anyone can help me with my retin a micro question, I would appreciate it! I wanna give up sometimes on retin a micro but I'm sticking to it! I use cetaphil moisterizer everyday when I go out!!!! I'm attaching some pics of me, I have bad chin acne and with makeup on you can't tell but without it, it looks hella disgusting XD Yeah the pic of me in the car is with lots of makeup on!! GAH!

post-120138-1264364636_thumb.jpg

post-120138-1264364673_thumb.jpg

post-120138-1264364636_thumb.jpg

post-120138-1264364673_thumb.jpg

Hey guys!

I've been using retin a micro for about a month now and it seems that my skin is getting bad, it's still red and whiteheads are popping up. How long does it take to see improvement for you guys? Does retin a micro help with scarring?? I have a couple or red/purple marks and I hope it would work! I'm getting a GA peel on tuesday!!! kinda nervous!!!! XDDDDD Oh yeah, my name's Diane by the way, but people call me Didi!!!! If anyone can help me with my retin a micro question, I would appreciate it! I wanna give up sometimes on retin a micro but I'm sticking to it! I use cetaphil moisterizer everyday when I go out!!!! I'm attaching some pics of me, I have bad chin acne and with makeup on you can't tell but without it, it looks hella disgusting XD Yeah the pic of me in the car is with lots of makeup on!! GAH!

Hey Didi =]

You should stay on Retin-A for at least 3 months to see the first visible results. It should keep getting better from that point onwards, but everyone's skin is different.

Retin-A does help light scarring and heals red marks faster.

Your skin looks amazing already! As for the chin acne, patience is key on Retin-A =).

Good luck!

It sounds like a life saver, I'll definitely start using it again tonight! Thank you so much! I was tempted to try the oil cleansing method myself a few months ago, but I never got round to it. I'm guessing you recommend it =)? Out of curiosity, what powder do you use? It's hard to find one that doesn't cake =].

Honestly I just use a pressed powder l'oreal (true match). I buy extra sponges and powder puffs so I am not spreading bacteria. I don't use brushes because they don't "set" the makeup right and can brush it off spots you would rather cover. ;)

Edited by MilGirl

Hey guys!

Be careful with peels. You can literally peel your skin off when you are on retin-a. I was forewarned by the pharmacy not to wax eyebrows either - you yank your skin off.

Many people have the IB with retin-a for several weeks. I'm at nearly 10 weeks now and just getting past it. Usually, 3 months is when the improvements really start showing. For now, you could actually get a years worth of acne in a few weeks. It's irritating, I know, but that's all crap that would have come to the surface sooner or later anyway!

Thanks guys!!! Gosh..i know it's so frustrating!! But tuesday is actually just a consultation for my GA peel so if my skin's too sensitive, then I won't do it. But the lady said she would start me off with a light percentage and it's free =) i'm getting it done at a medical clinic! I just hate having to wear so much makeup to cover up the mark =( But i will keep going on retin a and today, I just got my clindamycin lotion from my pharmacy. The doctor said it would keep the pimples away, has anyone ever tried it? can you use that in conjuction with retin a micro? :D

Your skin will improve on retin-a DiDi! Mine sure did, it took months but it is sooooo worth it! Good luck girlie!

And thank you Darkling, I have been using retin-a for a year and 5 months now so I will probably be ok to stop use for a while. I just feel as if my skin needs a breather!

Hey guys!

Be careful with peels. You can literally peel your skin off when you are on retin-a. I was forewarned by the pharmacy not to wax eyebrows either - you yank your skin off.

Many people have the IB with retin-a for several weeks. I'm at nearly 10 weeks now and just getting past it. Usually, 3 months is when the improvements really start showing. For now, you could actually get a years worth of acne in a few weeks. It's irritating, I know, but that's all crap that would have come to the surface sooner or later anyway!

for real tho, your skin will litteraly peel off. I was snowboarding about a month ago today, and smashed my face, it turned into a scar, and i was sure to apply polysporin to it, but a week later when it fell off i huge patch of red skin remained. it almost looks internal. Your skin is so fragile on retin a its crazy. take care of it!

Yes, Retin-A will slow the progression of nasolabial folds because it's PROVEN to boost collagen production.

I'm sold....using it the rest of my life! Unless something better comes along!

I'm going to try the dermaroller too. the 0.2 mm needles help the product absorb deeper.

Thanks guys!! =) I will keep you guys posted!! Some days my skin would look better than other days!!! I'm trying to switch makeup tho, I use clinique oil free superstay foundation and pressed powder but I want something that would stay on all day. Any suggestions???