Notifications
Clear all

Pimples Around Mouth? Whiteheads? Nothing Works?

MemberMember
(@aurareturn)

Posted : 01/10/2010 5:42 pm

Hey guys,

Like many of you, I've suffered from mild acne(whiteheads and pimples) mainly around my mouth area but sometimes on the sides of my face too. I didn't know what exactly was causing it but I thought it was just teenage hormonal things. I am currently 20 years old.

Since 2005, I've had at least 2 or 3 little white heads around my mouth every day. They weren't pimples and once popped, they leak out some kind of clear liquid. I also had bigger regular red pimples about once every few days or so.

I tried just about everything from ProActiv to Retin A to diet change to lifestyle change but nothing worked. I still had whiteheads on my face every morning.

I was searching on Google with the phrase "whiteheads around mouth" and the first result caught my eye. This is the website:

The first response to the question asked has a brief mention of "toothpaste". It caught my eye because I switched my regular toothpaste to a toothpaste that had a chemical that produced enzymes to moisturize my mouth about a year ago. I made the change as I thought I was getting whiteheads because my mouth was always dry. The change in toothpaste stopped my breakouts for 2 or 3 weeks but eventually, everything came back. So I switched back to my normal toothpaste and thought that the new toothpaste had no effect.

I did more research on toothpaste and acne and came to the conclusion that toothpaste can cause acne! I was extremely excited because a switch in toothpaste a year ago did have effect on my acne for several weeks.

Then I found this little blog and the rest is history:

Recognizing the fact that fluoride toothpastes are the prevalent type of dentrifice and that my findings could be a mere coincidence, I requested, nevertheless, that these patients switch, on a trial basis, from their fluoride toothpastes to a nonfluoride-containing toothpaste. Within a period varying from two to four weeks, approximately one half of the patients thus observed cleared of their previously persistent acne-like eruption. The condition of the other 50% tended to persist without change. No other variation in the therapy of these patients was undertaken during this test period. On the basis that at this time I had at least circumstantial evidence that the hypothesis might be true, I asked the remaining patients who had not responded to switch from their present dentrifice, which contained brightening and flavoring agents and other unknown chemicals, to baking soda and a commercially available mouthwash (Scope) as a mouth freshener after brushing. The results of this maneuver were remarkably successful in that nearly all of the patients thus treated had considerable improvement and an almost complete clearing of their acne-like eruptions.
MemberMember
(@allnaturaluser)

Posted : 01/11/2010 11:48 pm

It helped me, too.

MemberMember
(@splouge69)

Posted : 01/13/2010 12:30 am

wow youve got something there. i get the same thing the whiteheads around chin/mouth an like 3x more onthe side i sleepon. im going to try this, il report back with my results this saturday or so.

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 10/26/2010 10:28 am

This is a great thread. Last year, I had surgery in my mouth, the prescribed me a really nice mouth wash. I never made the connection, but my acne vanished. Around 6 months ago, I stopped using the mouth wash, and my acne came back. I NEVER thought it was the mouth wash. Now reading this I am like "holy bleep". I'm going to get a all natural toothpaste like "Kiss My Face", its flouride and sulfate free, all natural. and use a mouth wash. I tried brushing with baking soda for a while and don't like it, I don't feel clean after it.

My Acne: All around mouth/ some on chin. I sleep on my left side, and my left side is also 3x worse then my right like others have made the connection. I have NO acne on my right cheek/jaw, but on my left side I do.

I have tried sleeping on my back but it is impossible to maintain throughout the night. Once your asleep, your body goes back to your normal position. I've thought about using "gaurds" from keeping me from turning LOL, but I will try mouth wash and new tooth paste first :D

MemberMember
(@wimbly11)

Posted : 01/13/2011 9:53 am

I find this thread really interesting. My breakouts are the same as yours. All around my mouth area. I am going to switch to baking soda and scope without fluoride and see what happens. MY only concern is that fluoride is what is supposed to help prevent cavities. How have you combated this?

MemberMember
(@ashala)

Posted : 01/15/2011 2:13 am

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

MemberMember
(@fille-et-lune)

Posted : 01/16/2011 10:26 pm

I find this thread really interesting. My breakouts are the same as yours. All around my mouth area. I am going to switch to baking soda and scope without fluoride and see what happens. MY only concern is that fluoride is what is supposed to help prevent cavities. How have you combated this?

Yes I've read that fluoride is a by product of factories sometimes and large amounts of it can lead to defect teeth and internal problems.

And as for cavities, they're quite easy to avoid if you brush thoroughly (try different motions) twice daily, floss, and eat fresh fruits and vegetables. I've never been to the dentist and I have never had a cavity. I also use Tom's of Maine fluoride free toothpaste.

MemberMember
(@wimbly11)

Posted : 01/17/2011 10:17 am

Thanks for the tips! I started using Toms of Maine yesterday, so I'm really hoping I'll see an improvement over the next few days!

MemberMember
(@wimbly11)

Posted : 01/17/2011 11:59 am

I'm just wondering, if there is fluoride in my water, should I be washing in filtered water?

MemberMember
(@ashala)

Posted : 01/17/2011 12:59 pm

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

MemberMember
(@mariesutton)

Posted : 06/05/2013 10:21 am

I'm new to this site but had to share my success story of clearing my acne.

I am an adult female in my 30's who never had acne in my life. I had an occasional zit here and there but nothing I ever had to worry about until I started getting persistent acne around my mouth and on my chin (consistent with what they call hormonal acne).

I went to a doctor and had my hormones checked and they came back normal. In the mean time, my doctor prescribed me various medications like Retin-A, Eyrthomycin in dermbase, oral antibiotics, etc.. nothing worked. I even changed my diet, no dairy, no sugar, no gluten,.started using apple cider vinegar, various detoxes, you name it, I tried it. Still everyday I had more acne.

Finally, I went to my husband's doctor who advised me to stop using fluoride toothpaste and then come back and see him in 2 weeks. I thought he was crazy but I was desperate, so I went out and bought a flouride-free toothpaste. Within 1 week of using it I noticed a difference... I had no new pimples!!.. Then I continued to use it and I am now 100% clear!! It's like a miracle. Luckily, the city where I live does not fluoridate the water supply.

I hope my story helps someone who is suffering with acne, especially those women who are consistently told their acne is hormonal.