Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sadd13

tanning while on meds?

Howdy yall, i have a tan on my forehead thats really annoying, it looks like i've got fake tan on and as a guy i feel very self contious so tommrow im going to be beaching it up on a 43 degrees day, its NEVERRRR 43. i wanna fix up my tan and i hear it helps with acne aswell the sun that is, my concern is im currently on mino and differin and im scared cause of the sensitive to sunlight thing, is it gonna do damage to my skin?? im also planning on wearing tanning oil with spf, i don't want to wear my moisturizer or sunscreen cause i won't tan as much, any advice please??

...is it gonna do damage to my skin?? im also planning on wearing tanning oil with spf, i don't want to wear my moisturizer or sunscreen cause i won't tan as much, any advice please??

Yes, it'll damage your skin. To quote a point driven in the "Biggest Mistakes People Make to Treat Acne" thread in this forum:

10. Don't tan. Tanning only temporarily masks acne, damaging the skin in the process, which can actually lead to a worsening of acne. Even if tanning did help, it's not worth the risk of skin cancer, premature aging, cataracts, cellulite, and rosacea associated with unprotected sun exposure.

I have no idea how effective tanning oil SPF is, but at least it contains some. I take it you're going to tan nomatter, so I'll recommend you just to take extra care and go out of the sun at the slightest feeling of burning skin - the damage can come surprisingly fast, especially when you're on antibiotics. And concerning your forehead; wear a high SPF there and a medium SPF everywhere else? Might work, probably won't, at least I've never seen anyone successfully levelling out differences in tan..

Edited by TTAndersen

ok thanks for that, i've decided ill use moisturizer with spf 30 and mines has UVA AND UVB protection so hopefully i'll roast but not enough to do damage :)

How did you get that forehead tan in the first place?

Tanning is never a good idea, but having some sunshine is. And you don't want a sunscreen blocking all the good things the sun does for you. Just make sure not to exaggerate. Depending on where you live you can have 10-30 minutes of sunshine a couple of times a week, avoiding the hottest time of the day. In your case I would be more careful, considering the meds you use.

^^^ ahaha interesting story actually, i use the dermalogica sulfur spot treatment during the day on my cheeks cause my forehead is pretty clear, and i also use it to cover up red marks cause im a guy and i cant use makeup and at the beach while back i forgot to wash it of so i tanned with it on and i guess my cheeks didn't tan as intence as the forehead, also i'm back from the beach, it was boiling, use heaps of sunblock, still managed to tan quite a lot but that's cause im pale as, also the few cysts i had washed of in the shower, i just touched it and fell of and looked like a eye booger, i swear i didn't pick it off so i hope that's alright and it won't scar. thanks peeps for your replys :)