Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hesitation

Probiotics newbie - what to buy?

I think I may have a weak immune and digestive system - all my symptoms refer to that (thyroid problems etc). So the fix that I need to start eating probiotics. The problem is I do not know which products to buy. I will be ordering them online.

Also, since I eat a lot of garlic everyday, would it interfere with the probiotics I will be taking? I think garlic kills all the synthetic stuff... But it should be fine if I take probiotics at morning and night, and garlic at noon?

Edited by hesitation

I'm not sure if I can start eating dairy products just like that again. I'm not intolerant to dairy, but I might have to continue my candida diet... Besides aren't like 90% of people on this board avoiding dairy products?

You might want to try soy yogurt (if you don't have a soy allergy) because it is also a fermented product. There is a medical-grade brand called Bio-K Plus that guarantees to have at least 50 billion bacteria in each tiny container. A serving size can be 1/2 container or a full container. It is a small beverage/yogurt. Quite expensive.

I believe I read that although yogurt is nice, it doesn't necessarily guarantee any number of bacteria. In the long run, I've read that kefir (another fermented supplement sold in health food stores) is better than yogurt. Coconut-based (instead of soy or dairy based) kefir is available at health food stores by the brand Turtle Mountain.

They are sold in health food stores and/or health food aisles in the chilled area.

http://www.biokplus.com/en/

Edited by Dotty1

I'm not sure if I can start eating dairy products just like that again. I'm not intolerant to dairy, but I might have to continue my candida diet... Besides aren't like 90% of people on this board avoiding dairy products?

Including me I avoid dairy but yoghurt is different.

It contains little to no lactose and the bacteria it contains is beneficial to acne

Including me I avoid dairy but yoghurt is different.

It contains little to no lactose and the bacteria it contains is beneficial to acne

In my case yogurt DOES make my acne worse. I have tried adding it back (full fat organic yogurt), after about 4 weeks my acne was much worse than before adding back. OP, some people don't get worse from it, I guess you are going to have to try it out.

where did you find full fat natural organic??

They only sell low fat where I live??

They said it's naturally low fat.

Are you sure its just not greek yoghurt??

Thanks. So you can't take probiotics with capsules or tablets like the other stuff?

Garden of Life Primal Defense...expensive, but well worth it. It works. 12 different strains of probiotics delivered in a base of barley and oat grass. I used this as part of my regimen to get clear.

Primal Defense

I feel you on the dairy, that's why I take this. I've never seen a dairy free yogurt with no sugar, I don't even know if that's possible. The only probiotic product I've found with no sugar is Wildwood Probiotic Hummus.

Is Primal Defense the only product I should buy? I mean are there other products by garden of life that contain some probiotics that are not the primal defense?

How long does a bottle of primal defense last? By the instructions it would last 22,5 days. But I bet it has a better effect if I triple or whatever the dose, right? You probably can't over dose on probiotics anyway?

edit: Garden of Life Omega-Zyme Digestive Enzyme Blend - that product contains 20 digestive enzymes. If I have a weak immune and digestive system that will probably do me good as well?

Edited by hesitation

Look for threelac.

Actually I did some research on that products a few days ago. It's a well marketed scam basically...

Edited by hesitation

Is Primal Defense the only product I should buy? I mean are there other products by garden of life that contain some probiotics that are not the primal defense?

How long does a bottle of primal defense last? By the instructions it would last 22,5 days. But I bet it has a better effect if I triple or whatever the dose, right? You probably can't over dose on probiotics anyway?

edit: Garden of Life Omega-Zyme Digestive Enzyme Blend - that product contains 20 digestive enzymes. If I have a weak immune and digestive system that will probably do me good as well?

Well if you're going to get other supplements I'd get a good whole food multivitamin, omega 3, and probiotics. There are other products by Garden of Life with probiotics, but they won't compare with a specifically probiotic formula.

The suggested use is one tablet per day so the amount is how long it would last if you took it daily. I would just take the regular dose, I'm not sure it would help any more if you took more. If you want more you could get Primal Defense Ultra.

Probiotics will help your digestion. If you get Garden of Life Vitamin Code multivitamin, it also has digestive enzymes in it to aid digestion and absorption of other nutrients.

Edited by anonymou5