Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BlackBalloon_007

Bare Minerals... Good/Bad Why?

I have heard so many great things about bare minerals, but there are enough not so good reviews in the forums for me to wonder. What do you guys think?

For me, I think BareMinerals gives great coverage. I'm a dude so I don't exactly want heavy stuff (eye make-up, foundation, etc.) so I just moisturize and buff my skin out :) Personally it doesn't break me out.

My own experience wasn't good. Loved the idea behind it, but hated the stuff in reality. Itched, broke me out, looked fake, accentuated flaws, etc.

For me, very bad.

It itched like crazy, and this only got worse the longer I wore it - In the beginning it would only be a mild tingling, but after over 2 years of use, I wanted to claw my face off. It gave me huge cystic acne which took forever to go away. Although the new Matte formula doesn't contain Bismuth (the irritating ingredient), it's still way overpriced.

It was WAY too orange for me. This was especially evident in natural light. My boyfriend at the time thought I had highlighter on my face. Plus there are way too little shades.

It's overpriced. Including tax, I was paying about ~$31CAD per jar. Yes, this lasts a long time, but there are much better MMUs to be found online at much cheaper prices. Meow Cosmetics, adorned with Grace, Silk Naturals and Earthen Glow Minerals for example, just to name a few.

Their face brushes suck too. They're all really scratchy and stiff.

Like LaLaaLove, Bare Minerals made me break out. I mean not hugely but I noticed that almost every time I wore it I would either get a new zit or some kind of uninflammed acne (the most annoying kind, since it is impossible to get rid of without picking and popping). On top of that it also looked a little bit too orangey for my skin. I like my makeup to look as natural as possible and Bare Minerals didnt really do that for me. I would suggest getting Raw Minerals or Everyday Minerals over Bare Minerals although you have to order them online. :dry:

Edit: Oh and Bare Minerals also contains an ingredient called Bismuth Oxychloride, which has been known to increase acne in those with sensitive/acne-prone skin. This chemical (or possibly Mica, another chemical in Bare Minerals) is probably why people are reporting breakouts from this makeup.

Edited by liebehaus

I haven't had any problems with Bare Mineral makeup, except that it accentuates and exacerbates any peeling I may have. I've tried other mineral makeups and those are the ones that gave me problems. L'Oreal, True Minerals and, I believe, Physicians Formula all made me break out and itch like crazy.

I also have to disagree about the brushes. I've had the same set of brushes for 7-8 years. I wash them with a clarifying shampoo every few days and let them air dry.

Actually Bare Minerals does have ingredients that can irritate sensitive skin.I have extremely sensitive skin but, it might work for someone whose skin isn't as reactive to specific ingredients and fragrances.Bare Minerals is also a little pricey.

Might I reccomend visiting everydayminerals.com this is absolutely the best makeup and the only one that doesn't make me breakout.It doesn't contain skin irratating ingredients and it has awesome coverage.Ohh I almost forgot the best part, they let you try it for free.They will send you four samples of different coverages and shades so you can pick the one that fits you best.All you have to pay for is shipping!